Not open for further replies.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I think it may be more of a pushrod length issue. As soon as I get my truck back i'm going to pull the master and take a look.
I will be very interested to hear what you find.
Sponsored

Akshon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat FX4 Crew Magnetic
The pedal definitely feels a lot softer than my 17 escape. But is more in line with my 05 F-150. But there is definitely more travel then expected and its grab point is inconsistent.

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
Yes they feel GMish. Still have my 05 ranger. I don't think pads or rotors will do anything, it's hydraulically caused. Braided lines may help but by how much???

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Your '05 Ranger had a mechanical throttle cable. The new Ranger (i'm sure) has electronic throttle control with no cable, more likely the "feel" (throttle response) is a matter of programing and voltage input.
We're talking about the brakes not the throttle.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I've been reading this thread and I'm wondering if the brake pressure has any correlation to the auto start/stop when it kicks in or not with the application of the brake.

Tarawadet

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Anyone else have this feeling? I have to push it almost half way before it starts to grab. And that feels inconsistent as well. My Fusion and 95 Ranger feel more consistent and engages higher up.
Brakes are soft and the travel is long before they start to grab - I think it’s systemic to the ranger line. Having said that, I’m coming out of a 2016 Tahoe and the brakes were much better but the Tahoe was almost twice what the ranger costs - get what you pay for I guess

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Not true. With that last part. My 95 feels perfectly normal.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Brakes are soft and the travel is long before they start to grab - I think it’s systemic to the ranger line. Having said that, I’m coming out of a 2016 Tahoe and the brakes were much better but the Tahoe was almost twice what the ranger costs - get what you pay for I guess
So why are you moving up to a Ranger?
I'm really pretty impressed with the rotor size and compound on the stock 2019 Ranger, I understand that they are taken directly from the Raptor version sold outside the US.
I didn't notice any problem on my only test drive with the Ranger but that could be because I was driving a TC with excellent 4wheel discs. When I got my TC the brakes seemed strange at first, but once I understood Ford's strategy I was impressed with the performance.
I wouldn't say three feet shorter stopping distance from 60MPH is "much better". Tire differences could account for much more than that.
If the Ranger's modulation on wet and dry pavement is as good as the TC, I'll be impressed! They almost made me like ABS!
If I ever get my Ranger:fingerscrossed: and get the brakes scuffed in, I'll chime in.:like:

Last edited:

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it may be more of a pushrod length issue. As soon as I get my truck back i'm going to pull the master and take a look.
@RCMUSTANG, did you ever look into pulling the master and if so what did you find out?

skibuff

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Escape / 2019 Ford Ranger XLT Lighting Blue
I was thinking that maybe its part of the way the brake assist works. They set it a little soft but then when the collision assistance kicks in it gets firm quick.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Haven't had time.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My take on the brakes after 5244 miles (as of today) is that you're never fully in control of them. Sometimes you press 1 hard, and sometimes you have to dial it to 11 to get the same brake feel. I'm still not entirely used to it though I don't feel unsafe driving it in traffic, or on the highway.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My take on the brakes after 5244 miles (as of today) is that you're never fully in control of them. Sometimes you press 1 hard, and sometimes you have to dial it to 11 to get the same brake feel. I'm still not entirely used to it though I don't feel unsafe driving it in traffic, or on the highway.
I've been doing pretty well in my acceptance therapy sessions, but that one is going to be a challenge...especially when I change it up and drive our cheap-ass Rogue that has at least semi-firm and consistent brakes.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I've been doing pretty well in my acceptance therapy sessions, but that one is going to be a challenge...especially when I change it up and drive our cheap-ass Rogue that has at least semi-firm and consistent brakes.
I find this discussion interesting. I've only driven my truck a couple hundred miles at this point, but I actually like the brakes. They are somewhat "mushy", but I hated the very sensitive brakes on my Honda - it was hard to keep them from grabbing hard. It was like you press down a little and they did nothing and then all of a sudden they were ON - HARD. I like the extended pedal travel on the Ranger that allows you easier application of just as much brake as you want/need without being grabby. If you want them on hard, you just push down hard and they comply easily

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.