LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XLT FX4/ 2023 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
So I decided to install my leveling kit today, so I removed the strut. I cannot for the life of me remove the bottom strut studs from the strut. I've tried hammering, clamping, hammering, hammering, hammering, pressing and more hammering. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm about to just throw it back on without the spacers.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I left them on. Put that side on first, then used pry bars to get it low enough to get the top in. You'll end up popping out the inner axle but as you push it back in spin the axle as you push and it will mate back together.

OP
OP
LightningBlue

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I left them on. Put that side on first, then used pry bars to get it low enough to get the top in. You'll end up popping out the inner axle but as you push it back in spin the axle as you push and it will mate back together.
I didn’t want to deal with ripping the cv boot or pulling out the axle. I guess I should’ve went your route but I decided to just throw it back on for the night. So, a few hours wasted lol

OC4095

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Factory Automation Engineer, Auto School Grad, Car Audio Tech
Vehicle Showcase
So I decided to install my leveling kit today, so I removed the strut. I cannot for the life of me remove the bottom strut studs from the strut. I've tried hammering, clamping, hammering, hammering, hammering, pressing and more hammering. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm about to just throw it back on without the spacers.
I had a hard time too. I have no vise or press so used a torch and heated up the ends and drove it out with a hammer. Make sure the nut is flush with the bolt on the end to keep from damaging the threads.

OP
OP
LightningBlue

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just an update, I was able to finish the install. I purchased a shop press. Presto! Use the right tools and life is easy lol. Now I drastically need an alignment. Got some unsightly positive camber lol.

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Which leveling kit did you go with? I have the Lariat 4x4 with off-road, sports, tow, technology pk, and I would like to raise the front so the truck rides level.

Thanks!

OC4095

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Factory Automation Engineer, Auto School Grad, Car Audio Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Just an update, I was able to finish the install. I purchased a shop press. Presto! Use the right tools and life is easy lol. Now I drastically need an alignment. Got some unsightly positive camber lol.
When they aligned mine, they were just barely able to meet spec with the adjustment maxed. It works but using aftermarket upper control arms is the right way to eventualy go IMO. That will leave more room for adjustment.

OP
OP
LightningBlue

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Which leveling kit did you go with? I have the Lariat 4x4 with off-road, sports, tow, technology pk, and I would like to raise the front so the truck rides level.

Thanks!
I went with the Rough Country 2.5” leveling kit. I ordered it from @PandaMotorworks. They shipped it out right away, good customer service.

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Last edited:
OP
OP
LightningBlue

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Cool - thank you! I see in the description it says,
  • Easy bolt-on installation
LOL - do you agree? Or should I just have the dealership install the kit, and then do an alignment?

It doesn't say Rough Country, but I assume this is the same one you installed.

https://www.pandamotorworks.com/col...ducts/2-5in-ford-leveling-kit-2019-ranger-4wd

upload_2019-3-31_13-26-22.png
Yeah that's the one. Mine came in a Rough Country package with their instructions. "Easy Bolt On", I guess that depends on your definition of easy lol. If you have a shop press then it'll make the job 200% easier. It's pretty straight forward and it only took me a couple of hours to complete. Just be careful if you need to hammer out the tapers not to hit the threads of the bolts directly. They appear to be aluminum and are easily damaged.

OP
OP
LightningBlue

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Another note, they say to remove the skid plate (FX4) and I found that to be unnecessary, you can reach the 3 plugs without removing it.

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
very cool - many thanks for the tips and tricks!

Can you guys post a pic of your trucks, showing this mod installed?

OP
OP
LightningBlue

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
very cool - many thanks for the tips and tricks!

Can you guys post a pic of your trucks, showing this mod installed?
I’ll try and get some tomorrow. I actually don’t even have any decent photos after the install.

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
Another note, they say to remove the skid plate (FX4) and I found that to be unnecessary, you can reach the 3 plugs without removing it.
You can also do what I did and keep the skid plate on and not unplug the Rack at all, just disconnect the battery.

DMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Cool - thank you! I see in the description it says,
  • Easy bolt-on installation
LOL - do you agree? Or should I just have the dealership install the kit, and then do an alignment?

It doesn't say Rough Country, but I assume this is the same one you installed.

https://www.pandamotorworks.com/col...ducts/2-5in-ford-leveling-kit-2019-ranger-4wd

upload_2019-3-31_13-26-22.png
As someone who has had both, I would tell you to spend the extra bit is cash and get the 3”SST lift from ReadyLift. I had the 2.5 from Rough Country and with the stiffer front and nothing rear, the ride quality changed. The 3” includes a 1”spacer on the rear and ads back just a touch of rake so the ride is awesome, corners well and tows great without too much squat.
The Rough Country is a simple spacer, the ReadyLift is a new head for the strut, so you have to either have a strut compressor or have it installed. Harbor freight sells a strut compressor for $60, for those who like to dance with the devil. It worked fine for mine, but I admit I felt like a bomb tech ever time I twisted the compression spring, just knowing at any moment,,, anyway, just my advice. I’m pretty pleased with mine

C1AC60FD-669B-48A3-8198-D3E946076A1B.jpeg

F512A8B0-A422-4C3A-BAD0-1FBB810DA4C0.jpeg
Sponsored