Softer Leaf Springs

MrCrowley

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 WRX -> 2019 Ranger
Hey folks, I may be going at this from a different angle than some others, but I'm interested in lowering the rear spring rate (not necessarily ride height, although that would likely be a result). I'm interested in improving the unloaded ride quality in the rear. Is this something that aftermarket companies will likely offer? (I'm not currently a truck guy). I have a lot of experience in suspension tuning from racing downhill MTB. It makes sense these trucks come with stiffer rear springs for payload/stability reasons. However, since I'm only planning on light loads and likely not going to buy a trailer of any kind. I wouldn't mind if the daily driver/gravel performance was smooth as silk. My plan would be to lower the rear spring rate and then add higher quality shocks like Fox when they become available. Let me know what you folks think or if anyone knows about companies that already offer springs like I am after.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Hey folks, I may be going at this from a different angle than some others, but I'm interested in lowering the rear spring rate (not necessarily ride height, although that would likely be a result). I'm interested in improving the unloaded ride quality in the rear. Is this something that aftermarket companies will likely offer? (I'm not currently a truck guy). I have a lot of experience in suspension tuning from racing downhill MTB. It makes sense these trucks come with stiffer rear springs for payload/stability reasons. However, since I'm only planning on light loads and likely not going to buy a trailer of any kind. I wouldn't mind if the daily driver/gravel performance was smooth as silk. My plan would be to lower the rear spring rate and then add higher quality shocks like Fox when they become available. Let me know what you folks think or if anyone knows about companies that already offer springs like I am after.
Yeah..I’m going to bring the ranger to panda motor sports...I’ll have their tune and see if they can do a 4/6 lowering..I don’t know if it can be done without coil overs as the spring mounts are welded to the frame...if not ..there’s a guy here that does lowers and lifts we will see.
Regards
Doc

OP
OP

MrCrowley

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 WRX -> 2019 Ranger
I'm not talking about lowering. A spring rate change may result in more sag, but isn't specifically for lowering. There's only one parabolic spring. So I don't imagine you can pull leaves out to make it softer. I think you would need an entirely different spring set.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I'm not talking about lowering. A spring rate change may result in more sag, but isn't specifically for lowering. There's only one parabolic spring. So I don't imagine you can pull leaves out to make it softer. I think you would need an entirely different spring set.
Don’t don’t know...I’ll let you know what I find..

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
If you want a softer ride, a truck isn't for you.

That said, the only way to get a softer ride without sacrificing load capacity is switch to an air ride suspension. But then you would need to install a panhard bar and all necessary components. For the cost of engineering, fabrication, and install, you'd be money ahead buying an SUV.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Try keeping some weight in the bed like bags of sand. Also if you haven’t purchased yet for your needs I’d avoid the fx4 that has an even truckier ride. I found the truck quite smooth on the pavement stock lariat 4x4 without fx4. If you want a truck that drives like an SUV the ridgeline can’t be beat and maybe people like them.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
So it's actually quite a bit less stiff than my 2003 ranger. It basically has weak leafs and "active bump stops" that act as overload springs. If you run the tires a little on the low side it should give you a very smooth ride. Combine that with the lack of an FX4 package and it should ride like a 70's Cadillac, and still have a good payload. :)

OC4095

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Factory Automation Engineer, Auto School Grad, Car Audio Tech
Vehicle Showcase
When i looked into this in years past the local place to go was a place that made springs for the trucking industry. I know the rock crawling guys also take other leaf packs and mix and match leafs to get the softness they want. Generally the softest leaf is on top and the heavy load one on the bottom. Just my 2 cents since there probably isn't anyone making a replacement like you want at the moment.

Tinsoldieroh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had an'86, a '94, and an '05. Left with wife's jeep until the '19 arrives
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I am curious, can you lower the rear to level the truck? Wife is short 4'10" and I don't want to raise the ride height, but I'd like to see the truck level. Thoughts on how to do it.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I am curious, can you lower the rear to level the truck? Wife is short 4'10" and I don't want to raise the ride height, but I'd like to see the truck level. Thoughts on how to do it.
"Doc" on here and I (and maybe a couple more folks) are planning on lowering the rear to level (Doc may be lowering all around). He is looking into it through some place near where he lives. It's in this thread--- https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/anybody-planning-to-lower-their-2019-ranger.1398/
It might be as simple as a flip kit and springs up front....can't really know until you actually do it making sure all the angles are correct... If I could flip the rear end, and add a rear shackle to level it (if it drops too far), I will.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
"Doc" on here and I (and maybe a couple more folks) are planning on lowering the rear to level (Doc may be lowering all around). He is looking into it through some place near where he lives. It's in this thread--- https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/anybody-planning-to-lower-their-2019-ranger.1398/
It might be as simple as a flip kit and springs up front....can't really know until you actually do it making sure all the angles are correct... If I could flip the rear end, and add a rear shackle to level it (if it drops too far), I will.
Yup but I’m going to St. Louis at panda for a tune..they said they will be researching lowering kits..I think a coil over conversion will be the answer..but we will see..My guy here says he can do it with some cutting and welding..I will see what panda comes up with..I’ll drop off the truck and fly back to fla...and let them fool around with it. I’m looking for a 4/6 drop..
Regards
Doc

Tinsoldieroh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had an'86, a '94, and an '05. Left with wife's jeep until the '19 arrives
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Guys,
thanks for the thoughts, My only fears are what happens when I pull a boat trailer with the truck. How will it handle the tongue weight if it's lower 2" in the rear?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Guys,
thanks for the thoughts, My only fears are what happens when I pull a boat trailer with the truck. How will it handle the tongue weight if it's lower 2" in the rear?
Well, it's set to ride high so that it can sag when you put a load in it. If you lower it, there's less room to sag. You'll have to figure out the new payload ratings on your own.

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 (well, it started that way)
I'm working on progressive rate leaf springs that will result in a softer street ride, more suspension travel, and more off road capability. I have a couple threads going in this section and in the general and will keep them updated as I can as progress continues. We're in testing right now, they're on mine and so far all is going well. Much smoother on the road and it handles speed bumps/desert wash/washboard at 80+ without bucking like the stock leafs do at any real speed. The leaf/bump stop arrangement from the factory is designed mainly for payload/towing to top the chart and they succeeded in that, but it makes the truck not as good in most other situations, but I'm basically going to swap that equation and they'll be much better for everything else and lose about 10% weight capacity in payload so if that's what you're looking for, check those threads out :thumbsup:
Sponsored