SOLVED: Android Auto Keeps Disconnecting

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
Well, a new cable solved my problem for a while, and then today out of nowhere it disconnected 6 times on my 35 minute commute home :(
Out of curiosity, is your phone close to being 100% charged when you plug it in? I could be mistaken but I remember having this issue and noticing that it would disconnect when the phone hit 100% charged. Like it hits 100% and the phone stops accepting a charge and for whatever reason the truck thinks it disconnected Then you unplug it, plug it back in, a little of charge goes away, and the cycle starts again. Again, I'm not saying that this is the issue you are having but I was pretty confident that this is what was happening with my old phone (Pixel 1) and old truck 2015 (F-150).
Sponsored

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The next time it drops try pushing the cable in. Maybe the cable is flopping around and disconnecting.

JDCinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2013 Ford Explorer, 1977 BMW R100/7
Out of curiosity, is your phone close to being 100% charged when you plug it in? I could be mistaken but I remember having this issue and noticing that it would disconnect when the phone hit 100% charged. Like it hits 100% and the phone stops accepting a charge and for whatever reason the truck thinks it disconnected Then you unplug it, plug it back in, a little of charge goes away, and the cycle starts again. Again, I'm not saying that this is the issue you are having but I was pretty confident that this is what was happening with my old phone (Pixel 1) and old truck 2015 (F-150).
Now that you mention it, it was close to being 100% charged when I plugged it in.

I blew some canned air into the micro USB connection on the phone last night, and it stayed connected on my morning and evening commute. At this point I just think that SYNC is REALLY sensitive to having a good physical connection.

JDCinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still have this happen to me a few times a week, even with a new cable. Pretty annoying. My Galaxy S7 is about 2.5 years old, so maybe the connector is a bit loose. Seems like SYNC / Android Auto should have some better tolerance for the connection.

Jason L

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A
Mine is doing it a lot, Samsung S10e, OEM cable. Another odd thing, when connected to android auto, my phone keeps asking me to confirm the bluetooth pairing passcode for each device (watch, Ranger, etc.). It seems like it is getting worse the more I use it.

me01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RANGER 2019 AU
Have you tried when connecting the phone, it asks, what do you want to do? Do you select anything? USB transfer etc??

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
I gave up on this BS.

I'll just use Sirius and the built in Navigation.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I was having the disconnect problem and basically, I got in and made sure that Android Auto didn't activate *on the phone* at all. After I did that, I haven't had the problem at all. If any of you have AA setup to activate on the phone as well (seems to be the default), give that a try and see if it helps.

Mine is doing it a lot, Samsung S10e, OEM cable. Another odd thing, when connected to android auto, my phone keeps asking me to confirm the bluetooth pairing passcode for each device (watch, Ranger, etc.). It seems like it is getting worse the more I use it.
@JasonL, I got that as well. I just deleted the pairing and repaired after I did the above change. haven't had that message show up again as well.

JDCinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was having the disconnect problem and basically, I got in and made sure that Android Auto didn't activate *on the phone* at all. After I did that, I haven't had the problem at all. If any of you have AA setup to activate on the phone as well (seems to be the default), give that a try and see if it helps.

@JasonL, I got that as well. I just deleted the pairing and repaired after I did the above change. haven't had that message show up again as well.
Which setting did you change in Android Auto? Is it the "Lock phone while driving" slider?

ETA: In any case, I'm glad I just found that setting. Having AA lock the phone when connected to the truck was annoying as sh!#.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Which setting did you change in Android Auto? Is it the "Lock phone while driving" slider?

ETA: In any case, I'm glad I just found that setting. Having AA lock the phone when connected to the truck was annoying as sh!#.
Here are my AA settings. Haven't had any further issues. My Sync-3 system is also up to date.
settings1.png
settings2.png

Kevin D.

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 4X2, 2000 Ranger XLT SuperCab
I'll share my experience as maybe this will help others too. When I purchased my 2019 Ranger in mid December my current phone was a Samsung Galaxy S5 and Android Auto worked correctly every time using a non OEM cable.

About three weeks later I upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S9 and AA would not work. It would briefly pair, then disconnect. I tried three different cables, OEM and non OEM, but nothing worked. After reading about anything I could on the issue I came across mention of using a cable with better data transfer speed. I tried a USB-C to USB 3.1 and AA has worked great since.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07213D35X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DevilDoc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3L 4x4 sport
Occupation
US GOVT
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same problem, look in settings there is a toggle for " Turn Bluetooth on when AA is connected" haven't had a single issue once I turned it on , my phone always connects and stays connected with no confirmation of passkey

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I had a issue where I could not get AA to connect at all.
Tried a better cable and everything was fine...

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
I'll share my experience as maybe this will help others too. When I purchased my 2019 Ranger in mid December my current phone was a Samsung Galaxy S5 and Android Auto worked correctly every time using a non OEM cable.

About three weeks later I upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S9 and AA would not work. It would briefly pair, then disconnect. I tried three different cables, OEM and non OEM, but nothing worked. After reading about anything I could on the issue I came across mention of using a cable with better data transfer speed. I tried a USB-C to USB 3.1 and AA has worked great since.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07213D35X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, I'm going to give that cable a try. I have had the same issues as you describe for months now, basically ever since I received an AA update on my Note 9. Maybe this will fix it, I kind of gave up on AA but would love to use it again.

Perpetual Wins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Just wanted to say this was the answer to the AA problem I was having. It kept disconnecting no matter what I did. I ordered that USB 3.1 to type C and it is perfect now. A couple of observations here. First, these software engineers are in a lab, with good power and cabling. I would bet they had the latest and greatest version of USB where they work. Some of us are using cheap or older cabling. I had a new cable, but I dont think it was 3.1. Additionally, this cable is a thicker gauge than the one that wasn't working. There is a good bit if data moving between the phone and sync, 3.1 may be the minimum to make this data transfer. It also connects tighter on the type c and USB side than the previous cable. Either way, thank you forum for the conversation and the link with this cable. I would recommend others try it as well because it's been the only thing that has worked so far.
Sponsored