Sponsored

How much would you pay for a V8 in the Bronco?

Up to what would you pay for a V8 option?

• Total voters

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you get the Coyote the Bronco will definitely not be a mid size vehicle. The Boss 429 is the only engine thats wider that a Coyote.
A 5.0 can fit in an old 69" wide Bronco, I have zero doubt that Ford couldn't put it in a new 70-72" wide Bronco on a T6 chassis if they wanted to.

The real question isn't if they can, but if they will. Are the right motivators in the market for them to do it? Will it sell enough units; or give them a worthwhile advantage over the competition; or will it create a strategic detraction from their other/future offerings?

If they do offer it, they will boast about why -- if they don't offer it, they will probably lie about why not.
Sponsored

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A 5.0 can fit in an old 69" wide Bronco, I have zero doubt that Ford couldn't put it in a new 70-72" wide Bronco on a T6 chassis if they wanted to.

The real question isn't if they can, but if they will. Are the right motivators in the market for them to do it? Will it sell enough units; or give them a worthwhile advantage over the competition; or will it create a strategic detraction from their other/future offerings?

If they do offer it, they will boast about why -- if they don't offer it, they will probably lie about why not.
A 1969 Bronco doesnt have crumple zones, break away engine, air conditioner, electric power steering, a giant brake booster and all the other stuff a new car has to deal with up front either.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A 1969 Bronco doesnt have crumple zones, break away engine, air conditioner, electric power steering, a giant brake booster and all the other stuff a new car has to deal with up front either.
If it is solid axle, then much easier. Can push the susp links and springs much farther
outboard than IFS. And if it is solid axle, not going to be rack and pinion, so might just
go back to hydraulic steering box and pump.
https://pbhperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/266535783832028132-account_id3-1.jpg

But it is not going to be solid axle and it's not getting a coyote either.......................

phillyfx4

Outer Banks
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F 150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
heard there might be "options" as far as the front axel is concerned but not in year one.....who knows ?

78CreamBrownie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
According to this report from 2017 In the F150 V8 only accounted for 1/4 of the F150 sales. As much as we all want a V8 in the new Bronco I just don't see it happening. They are going to roll with the Ecoboost and I am ok with that.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/08/v8-market-share-just-quarter-ford-f150-lineup/
The issue is still throttle response. As crappy as the low end torque is on the coyote, it's
still 1000 times better throttle response over the 2.7. I hope they make at least a limited
high end version with solid axle and 5.0. Then at least I can get some factory install
parts to build my own out a wrecked or blown up lower end version, "someday"..............

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
According to this report from 2017 In the F150 V8 only accounted for 1/4 of the F150 sales. As much as we all want a V8 in the new Bronco I just don't see it happening. They are going to roll with the Ecoboost and I am ok with that.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/08/v8-market-share-just-quarter-ford-f150-lineup/
Oh noes, only 200,000 of them were optioned with a V8 ... which is more full size trucks than Toyota or Nissan has ever sold in a year, and about half of what Ram sells.

Surely, Ford would be terribly disappointed to sell only 25% of Broncos with a +$2k V8 engine option. lol

eta.
A better question would be why do they bother to leave the 3.3 as the base engine if less than 10% of trucks are being sold with one.

Last edited:

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Oh noes, only 200,000 of them were optioned with a V8 ... which is more full size trucks than Toyota or Nissan has ever sold in a year, and about half of what Ram sells.

Surely, Ford would be terribly disappointed to sell only 25% of Broncos with a +$2k V8 engine option. lol

eta.
A better question would be why do they bother to leave the 3.3 as the base engine if less than 10% of trucks are being sold with one.
Fleet, my guess..............

78CreamBrownie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

eta.
The Jeep Wrangler which is the segment leader has sold ~198k Wranglers YTD. Do you expect the wrangler to sell better than that?

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/jeep/jeep-wrangler/

So you think Ford wants to make a $2000 option for a vehicle that is returning to market for ~27k units? The F150 makes sense since they sell so many of them, but to start Ford will need to move units to make this an option. This is why I am so interested in where this thing fits in their line up. I hope the Bronco doubles the Wrangler sales so we can get more engine and transmission options in the future. I want my 2nd Bronco that I buy in 2025 to have a diesel and a 7 speed manual, but until then I am ok with the eco-boost.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Jeep Wrangler which is the segment leader has sold ~198k Wranglers YTD. Do you expect the wrangler to sell better than that?

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/jeep/jeep-wrangler/

So you think Ford wants to make a $2000 option for a vehicle that is returning to market for ~27k units? ...
Yes, I think they'd be happy to make an extra couple hundred bucks profit on 25k Broncos per year with V8s. $5million in profit and $50million in revenue isn't something they'll lightly dismiss, especially when even offering it will make them look good, and get more free marketing from the reviewers etc talking about how the competition doesn't have one.

If they don't sell at least 50k units of Broncos a year, you can bet it will get cancelled in no time, which is all the more reason they need options -- I would be very surprised if they didn't hit 100k Bronco's a year by the second full year of production. They won't know what will sell unless they offer some choices and see what the market will take. If Jeep hadn't done that, they'd still be selling 30k 2-door units and miss out completely on the other 170k 4-door Wranglers that actually make Jeep matter. Ford can make the Bronco a big and influential player in that market space, if they want to ...

Jeep sells ~200k Wranglers (of ~800k total US sales) per year
Toyota sells ~100k 4Runners (of 2 million total US sales) per year

Ford sells ~250k Explorers
Ford sells ~130k Edges

Toyota sells ~180k Tacomas
GM sells ~130k Colorados+Canyons
Nissan sells ~70k Frontiers

Ford currently has 2.4million total units sold per year in the US, and just cut a couple hundred thousand worth of sedans

As far as options, they want to sell the most expensive upmarked thing they can. If that's leather seats, 4-doors, engine choices, "off road" tires, 'premium sound', electrowidgets, etc. you can bet they'll offer it within the first year or so to see what the buying consumers actually want -- not just the people online talking about it, but the ones who actually go to the stealership and buy one.

The other important factor about the Bronco could be that it will serve to draw customers in -- it gets lots of press, hits a nostalgic nerve, and potentially has high performance or special off-road characteristics that appeal to _potential_ customers who will visit a car lot to check one out --- then they decide it costs too much, or don't like the feel of it or whatever, but this _other_ Ford model has just the features or price point they're interested in and it shares the [fill in the blank feature] that the Bronco has in a more achievable/comfortable package. That's where the Explorer, Edge and 'Maverick' come in -- they will undoubtedly outsell the Bronco in numbers of units sold, but perhaps just aren't as attention getting.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For the units that don't have a V8, you can bet they'll be piping in fake V8 engine sounds through the stereo. People love that fake **** ...

Oldschool

Wildtrak
First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
A V8 is an absolute must before I'd purchase this vehicle and my wife wants one only if it's a V8! It doesn't make sense to offer up a manual transmission instead of offering a V8.

If Ford wants to make a statement, offer the V8 as the flagship Bronco.

Rocket

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150, 1978 Bronco, 2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think the V-8 is a dream. The V-8 is s dead letter, it will be an Eco boost or a normally aspirated v-6 like the Wrangler and Toyota. After market folks will find a way to put the Coyote in the Bronco for the limited market. Car and truck building is a business. SUV sales are hot and the Bronco will fit with the Explorer, Edge etc as another offering.....just hope its nothing like the Blazer.

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
The new 7.3L Godzilla Super Duty engine Ford is producing with its projected low rpm torque is narrower but longer than the Coyote, if ford came up with an aluminum block version at a de-stroked/smaller bore version...maybe??? Reality check...ain't gonna happen but damn that would be soooooo sweet!!!

SUNSHINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 HUMMER & F-150
The BIGGER the BETTER! I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT FORD MAKES THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF MACHINERY EVER. DON’T WANT IT TO LOOK LIKE A LITTLE TOY! MAKE US PROUD TO OWN A FORD!
Sponsored