First Name
Jerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F350 Lariat, 2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired Rancher
No matter how hard I put my foot in it, drive fast, idle in the morning etc, I have never seen it worse than 22.9 average. Last night on a a 35 mi hwy trip, I drove a sedate 60 mph, on cruise.......30 mpg. I have checked against pencil once. It was off .8 mpg to the positive of course.

Tinsoldieroh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had an'86, a '94, and an '05. Left with wife's jeep until the '19 arrives
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We will all have to find the trucks sweet spot. My 2005 Ranger 3.0L got 24 mpg at 65 mph and 19 at 70. Just my take on things. Cruise, hole shots and driving style mean a lot. Go as fast as your wallet can afford.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
We will all have to find the trucks sweet spot. My 2005 Ranger 3.0L got 24 mpg at 65 mph and 19 at 70. Just my take on things. Cruise, hole shots and driving style mean a lot. Go as fast as your wallet can afford.
I'm not sure, but...when the EPA calculates MPG, aren't there specific guidelines that must be followed? I would hope there are, so everyone tests under the same rules...highway speed specifically.

That review, with elevation changes, 80 mph speeds, up hills etc...seems ridiculous. This test were under the worst conditions for optimal mpgs. I can't believe anyone would take this test seriously. ANY VEHICLE tested under these conditions would also suffer lower mpgs then rated. Ridiculous. If that's how they tested it, how do they test other vehicles...cars, trucks.

In my opinion, that test it completely unusable.

Last edited:

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Is anyone wondering what the 2.7 Ecoboost V6 mpg would be in the new Ranger?

F-150 Supercab 4WD with 2.7L EB:
325 HP, 400 lb-ft torque
79.9 in width, 76.9 in height --> 42.7 sq ft frontal area
4805 lb curb weight
Mpg: 19 city, 24 hwy, 22 combined

Ranger Supercab 4WD with 2.3L EB:
270 HP, 310 lb-ft torque
73.3 in width, 71.5 in height --> 36.4 sq ft frontal area
4232 lb curb weight
Mpg: 20 city, 24 hwy, 22 combined

The 2.7L in the F-150 is rated equal hwy/combined mpg and 1 less city mpg, even though it has 17% more frontal area, weighs 14% more, yet delivers 20% more HP and 29% more torque than the 2.3L in the Ranger.

This has been my thought all along.......... I have gotten hand calculated 24.3 on our last beach trip down the coast in my F-150. The computer actually read 24.3 too. On the way back, which is more up hill, I got hand calculated 22.8 with the computer saying 22.6 mpg. Would seem to me it should definitely do better in a Ranger.

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
This is what Fuelly has for the 2019 Ranger. Looks like we have five people tracking on it so far.

2dc02c16-f1c9-4cb6-9f69-5024ba26fd82.png
I've been trying to find that page on fuelly, can you point me in the right direction? It'll be interesting to watch as there becomes more than 5 trucks being monitored (3 of which are diesel).

Daedalus9042

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Just doing spot checks, but even in this thread it seems the discrepancy is between people in colder climates + stop and go traffic, vs those in warm climates + highway driving.

I really think this engine uses an above normal amount of fuel when idling. Thankfully this truck has auto start/stop but given the time of the year it is most of us are using our heaters and defroster which will disable the start/stop.

Can you guys with really high or really low MPG give us an idea of what the normal temp is when you're driving and if your start stop is active, as in its is on AND actually turning on and off?

I've gotten over 26 MPG and I've had periods where my average MPG is under 18. I've noticed I get the advertised MPG when doing normal driving with a mix of highway and city, but only when its warm enough for the auto start/stop to work correctly, but if its cold and I'm using my heater and defroster and my start/stop is not activating then my MPG plummets. Remote start also destroys my MPG if I use it daily, even when its only on for 2-3 minutes before I take off.

I suspect all our MPG ratings will magically increase come Spring :clap:

The city test schedule that the EPA requires for MPG testing specifies a lab setting between 70-80 degrees, and over the period of the test there are over 20 stops and the engine is idling 20% of the time. In those lab conditions it most likely means the engine is actually off for 1/5th of the test. So if you're in a cold area no way your MPG will match the EPA tests, just based on the fact your engine is on much longer than it was in the EPA test.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I really think this engine uses an above normal amount of fuel when idling.
In general, the more efficient the engine, the bigger the hit when idling. My old diesel car can top 50MPG on the highway, but that plummets when standing still because the amount of fuel used at idle changes much less from car to car than the amount of fuel used when cruising; the average of the idle consumption and the highway consumption is a much bigger delta at 50MPG than it is at (say) 8MPG.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Just doing spot checks, but even in this thread it seems the discrepancy is between people in colder climates + stop and go traffic, vs those in warm climates + highway driving.

I really think this engine uses an above normal amount of fuel when idling. Thankfully this truck has auto start/stop but given the time of the year it is most of us are using our heaters and defroster which will disable the start/stop.

Can you guys with really high or really low MPG give us an idea of what the normal temp is when you're driving and if your start stop is active, as in its is on AND actually turning on and off?

I've gotten over 26 MPG and I've had periods where my average MPG is under 18. I've noticed I get the advertised MPG when doing normal driving with a mix of highway and city, but only when its warm enough for the auto start/stop to work correctly, but if its cold and I'm using my heater and defroster and my start/stop is not activating then my MPG plummets. Remote start also destroys my MPG if I use it daily, even when its only on for 2-3 minutes before I take off.

The city test schedule that the EPA requires for MPG testing specifies a lab setting between 70-80 degrees, and over the period of the test there are over 20 stops and the engine is idling 20% of the time. In those lab conditions it most likely means the engine is actually off for 1/5th of the test. So if you're in a cold area no way your MPG will match the EPA tests, just based on the fact your engine is on much longer than it was in the EPA test.

I have a thread somewhere on here where I and others discuss my Auto Start/Stop. It seems to be active above 25F or so. In addition to the other known reasons for it to shut off, that seems to be a definite factor. My average MPG on the dash is between 21.5 and 22.5. It's been stupid weather her in Michigan though, so it's fallen towards the lower end of that with 60mph head winds, single digit temps, and snow every other day.

Daedalus9042

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I have a thread somewhere on here where I and others discuss my Auto Start/Stop. It seems to be active above 25F or so. In addition to the other known reasons for it to shut off, that seems to be a definite factor. My average MPG on the dash is between 21.5 and 22.5. It's been stupid weather her in Michigan though, so it's fallen towards the lower end of that with 60mph head winds, single digit temps, and snow every other day.
Just went though this in a video I posted recently. There's about 10 conditions that must be met for auto start stop to work. Battery must be fully charged, cabin must be warmed to desired temp, electronics can't be pulling too many watts, front defroster must be off, wheels cant be turned too much, etc. You can see it in this video if you pause at 13:26 - video

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CrewCab 4x4 301A

I don't necessarily agree that the Ranger engine uses enough fuel during normal driving conditions at idle to make but an extremely small mpg difference. Watching the computer mpg readout on the dash, in my opinion is not the best tool for calculating mpg. Fill the tank as consistant as you can and do the math yourself. Driving style, ambient temperature, speed, etc., affect mpg. I also think the FX4 would get somewhat less mpg than those without this package....

I would like to see mpg comarisons between FX4's and non-FX4's.

smlford

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 SRW, CC diesel, Ranger, 2.3l gas, Porsche 986S
I think those guys posting above 25 mpg must be driving two wheel drive trucks.
It would be really helpful when you post to indicate what drive system you have...

Also, most parts of the US are using winter blends of gas and when they switch over to their summer blend your mileage should improve a couple of mpg’s...