Reaction score
Website
www.pmiyoshiphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback16, Ford Ranger 11
Occupation
⭐ tender
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve driven 1000 miles and my ranger computer shows 17.5 both freeway and street driving, about 45/55 percent! On the freeway I usually stay around 70 mph!
I downloaded the fuelly app and it’s shows an average of 19.1 mpg so I’m way lower than the ford average! I hope that the fuel economy isn’t affected! One of my biggest reason to purchase the truck was the best MPG in its class!
Sponsored

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
I’ve driven 1000 miles and my ranger computer shows 17.5 both freeway and street driving, about 45/55 percent! On the freeway I usually stay around 70 mph!
I downloaded the fuelly app and it’s shows an average of 19.1 mpg so I’m way lower than the ford average! I hope that the fuel economy isn’t affected! One of my biggest reason to purchase the truck was the best MPG in its class!
I wonder if the fuel economy will improve a bit after that initial 1000 mile break in period. I have seen that people report performance increases a good bit after that. They are reevaluating their EPA process right now so I am curious to see what they end up with.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Since it doesn't distinguish between NA and global rangers (with entirely different--diesel--engines) the comparison in fuelly is pretty useless.

smlford

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 SRW, CC diesel, Ranger, 2.3l gas, Porsche 986S
It will be interesting to see what TFL shows in their video tomorrow from their road trip from CA to CO..

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It will be interesting to see what TFL shows in their video tomorrow from their road trip from CA to CO..
I copied this from their website article:

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/02/re...y-reporting-ford-ranger-mpg-under-microscope/

"We drove a new 2019 Ford Ranger crew cab 4×4 Lariat from Los Angeles, CA to Denver, CO on a road trip of approximately 1,147 miles with an average 20.7 mpg. The average driving speed of this test was 53.3 MPH, see the results in the video below."

Seeing as they did some off-roading and winter driving in the mountains, 20.7mpg doesn't seem that far off? I also remember them saying they were cruising at a pretty high speed on the highway? Of course, maybe they will change that number tomorrow, but then I'll wonder about the validity of their reviews?

RangerKody

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
“Depending on what is found, Ford could be required to restate the mileage on EPA-approved window stickers as well as reimburse owners for the mileage difference. The company could also face penalties from the government agencies.”

So how much would be reimbursed if they found the MPG different than what we bought the truck at?

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
With the next fill-up I am going to keep a notebook in the glove compartment to keep track of MPG then compare it to the computer. Guess we'll find out what the numbers are, but so far the truck says 22 MPG.
Fuelly is a great ap. Saves the writing.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase

smlford

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 SRW, CC diesel, Ranger, 2.3l gas, Porsche 986S
I copied this from their website article:

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/02/re...y-reporting-ford-ranger-mpg-under-microscope/

"We drove a new 2019 Ford Ranger crew cab 4×4 Lariat from Los Angeles, CA to Denver, CO on a road trip of approximately 1,147 miles with an average 20.7 mpg. The average driving speed of this test was 53.3 MPH, see the results in the video below."

Seeing as they did some off-roading and winter driving in the mountains, 20.7mpg doesn't seem that far off? I also remember them saying they were cruising at a pretty high speed on the highway? Of course, maybe they will change that number tomorrow, but then I'll wonder about the validity of their reviews?

Just watched the new video of their trip from LA to Denver and their combined highway mileage was a miserable 19.5 MPG.

They were going uphill, gaining several thousand feet which I would have thought might be responsible for a 2 mpg difference. They also did not include their off-road trip through Moab.

Overall I’m pretty disappointed...

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
This surprises people? Im now at around 3000 miles on it Im getting between 21 and 22 mpg, winter driving, lots of idling with remote start, commuting, etc. Im fine with this, I certainly did not expect 24 mpg, Im sure if I hyper-miled I could get close, but this is as expected. My Frontier was lucky to get between 16 and 17 mpg in the same conditions.

Anyone that thinks they are going to achieve the stated epa mpg in everyday driving is delusional. Yes the video show quite a bit less, but look at the conditions they drove in, I dont get why people are freaking out about this??

RangerKody

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
The truck has been amazing. I’m getting around 20.5 mpg on a 4x2. I also drive like I stole it, but only 400 miles on it so far. I’m sure we gotta break them in to get a little better MPG as well.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
So I watched the Latest TFL video, and there's a few things here..

1. Your not going to get 24mpg doing 80mph
  2. FX4 probably loses 1-2mpg just from the chin spoiler not being there. MPG is based on a standard 4x4.
  3. Your not going to get 24mpg driving in 4hi in snow.
  4. There test truck had 3k miles on it. Not really broken in, in my opinion.
My 2015 Focus ST, with the 2.0 EcoBoost, mileage didn't really improve till almost 10k on the odometer, and a few oil changes. My ST was rated at 22/30 mpg. I averagd 24-25mpg in my current commute and could get over 30 on the highway when I sold it at 40k+ on the odometer.

My 2019 FX4 is rated at 20/24 mpg and I'm getting about 20mpg with only 1100 miles on the tank and mostly stop and go, and some open freeway. So far I'm satisfied with the mpg my truck gets. However I do expect it to increase in mpg with more mileage.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Driving @ 80 MPH vs average highway MPH of 55-65 can give you ~2 MPG less
Driving in cold weather / snow requires more fuel and can give you ~3 MPG less
Driving up in elevation can give you ~2-3 MPG less

Their number is something that is expected and nothing to worry about IMO. I've tested long distance driving going from a high elevation to low. Then back to high during the same conditions and it does decrease your MPG by 3 in my case. And driven in MI winters and summers. Cold weather just sucks on fuel and have gotten up to 4-5 MPG less than summer commutes. These guys also had 2 larger males in the truck along with their gear which requires even more fuel to haul around that weight. Take it for what it is. I'm not concerned. I expect to get the EPA numbers where I live and how I drive.

Josh_R

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2004 Ranger, 2013 Edge
I've got almost 800 miles on mine, about half of which is highway and the rest is side street driving (no stop-and-go city traffic). I do roughly the speed limit on the streets and about 70 on the highway. I've been really babying it inside the 1000 mile break in period, so no pedal to the floor passing or hard starts from a stoplight (both of which kill gas mileage). Anyway, the computer shows 21.4 mpg. I haven't reset it either, so that reflects the full 800-ish miles so far.

jcobb40

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250/2016 Expedition/2017 Focus
The EPA needs to beat it. EPA in most cases is its own worse enemy. Without all these rediculous CAFE Standards and Emissions Requirements vehicles would be getting 30-40% better fuel mileage and still be fairly clean. EPA would rather increase fuel consumption by 40% to reduce emissions 15-20% which is a complete offset if your burning an absorbant amount of fuel to reduce emissions. Some of the cleanest burning vehicles on this earth are race cars at wide open throttle. EPA is slowly ruining gasoline vehicles as they have already destroyed the diesel pickup market with ridiculous emissions requirements, horrendous fuel economy, and their best accomplishment to date is making the Diesel engine completely unreliable.
Sponsored