Sponsored

Would you be happy with these 2 engine choices at Launch?

SharpGT500

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 74, 78, 80, 84 II XLS. Current: 1974
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I would be happy with any V6 they offered. I am not a fan of the 2.3l 4 cylinder. 5.0 would be awesome but I sure it will never happen.
Sponsored

SharpGT500

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 74, 78, 80, 84 II XLS. Current: 1974
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I would be happy with any V6 they offered. I am not a fan of the 2.3l 4 cylinder. 5.0 would be awesome but I'm sure it will never happen. We will only get a V6 if they offer it in the ranger as well.

Rocket

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150, 1978 Bronco, 2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The more we learn about the Bronco the less interested i become. I really don't think we will see a 2 door sport utility in the traditional sense. A V-8 motor is more remote. Look at the Raptor and the Ford GT have an ecoboast. The engines are good, very good just not something I am interested in. Also I think it will be very difficult to pry the Jeep faithful away from the Wrangler, customer loyalty to this brand is incredible.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As long as you don't mind having your engine sound like a weed-eater.
Good comeback and you are right that if you have really, really low torque you will need higher rpms to deliver the power. Although I'm not too worried about Ford putting a 10,000 rpm single cylinder engine in the Bronco. I really hope they put a V8 in it, but it would be a bit of a surprise for me.

What I would hate to have is an engine with lots of low end torque that runs out of breath early and doesn't make much higher RPM power. I don't want a semi - shift, shift, shift, shift, shift - now I'm up to 10 mph. Those big diesels make a lot of torque, but I don't want one in a Bronco.

The more we learn about the Bronco the less interested i become. I really don't think we will see a 2 door sport utility in the traditional sense. A V-8 motor is more remote. Look at the Raptor and the Ford GT have an ecoboast. The engines are good, very good just not something I am interested in. Also I think it will be very difficult to pry the Jeep faithful away from the Wrangler, customer loyalty to this brand is incredible.
Yeah - I'm so tired of the V6 EGOboost sounds. And the ECO is nothing worth boasting about, either.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What I would hate to have is an engine with lots of low end torque that runs out of breath early and doesn't make much higher RPM power. I don't want a semi - shift, shift, shift, shift, shift - now I'm up to 10 mph. Those big diesels make a lot of torque, but I don't want one in a Bronco.
They're not all that much larger than what you find in a 1-ton truck. Plenty of "big rigs" have a 6-7L inline engine in them. But if you're talking displacement to load ratio, they're a good example of why little engines look better on paper than in reality -- they'll be working that new 10-speed auto a lot more than larger displacement engines will.

The good low end with a disappointing top end is exactly what they did to the international Ranger Raptor, with a 2L bi-turbo diesel. Sporty down low, but you have to be careful when you want to try to pass someone on the highway -- major failure for something that was supposed to bring the Raptor experience to the rest of the world.

...Yeah - I'm so tired of the V6 EGOboost sounds. And the ECO is nothing worth boasting about, either.
Which is no doubt why they've recently favored the "echo" pronunciation rather than the obvious "eco" they meant when first introduced. If the average driver dips into the skinny pedal while daily driving (because hey, it's fun!) they will not see much of an economy improvement over a larger V8 that sounds much, much better.

Not to mention the fake V8 engine sounds they pipe in through the speaker system for small engines to make the experience more appealing, without offering any way to turn it off.

The Bronco will need good torque down low for offroading, and a smooth power delivery. Snappy or lurching power from a turbo kicking in will break parts and get you in more trouble on the trail, even if it seems fun when you're by yourself beating a hipster in a new Blazer crossover off the line. The Bronco also needs to be a good cruiser with enough grunt and leg room up top to carry a load of camping etc. gear for a few people out on the highway when you want to go on a great American cross-country vacation etc.

I see the 5.0L V8 and a "detuned" 3.0L V6 as the best options to deliver those things. Both of those engines leave room for the aftermarket or Ford Performance to tune up for sport/show vehicles and a Bronco Raptor -- in a way that the existing pool of Bronco enthusiasts will not get "excited" about for a 2.3L I4. Ford needs to make it easy for a big aftermarket of enthusiasts and suppliers to build up quickly around the Bronco if they really want to take on Jeep and the Wrangler -- that is one of their strengths, and one of the things that will serve as the largest barriers to gaining market share in that lucrative segment.

Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 Pinto, 1995 Mustang GT, 2001 Ranger Edge 2WD, 2016 Transit Connect
18 years racing SCCA, I actually got to prefer the sound of a 4CYL race engine. Many years ago they put a bunch of modified big block "grain truck" engines in mid-sized sedans. They had the same kind of discussions about the differences in sound and performance. I was on the small block side. Loved the sound of a built 289.
A big block Chevelle was a "ruptured duck" on a roadrace track, but the 4CYL Pinto was the most popular racecar of its era and a stone-riot to drive.
Ever hear the sound of a Formula Atlantic at full throttle?... Its stone age compared to the new Ranger engine.
If the new Ranger is as durable on pavement as it looks on paper it could easily make my top ten favorites of all time. ( fingers crossed)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They're not all that much larger than what you find in a 1-ton truck. Plenty of "big rigs" have a 6-7L inline engine in them. But if you're talking displacement to load ratio, they're a good example of why little engines look better on paper than in reality -- they'll be working that new 10-speed auto a lot more than larger displacement engines will.

The good low end with a disappointing top end is exactly what they did to the international Ranger Raptor, with a 2L bi-turbo diesel. Sporty down low, but you have to be careful when you want to try to pass someone on the highway -- major failure for something that was supposed to bring the Raptor experience to the rest of the world.

Which is no doubt why they've recently favored the "echo" pronunciation rather than the obvious "eco" they meant when first introduced. If the average driver dips into the skinny pedal while daily driving (because hey, it's fun!) they will not see much of an economy improvement over a larger V8 that sounds much, much better.

Not to mention the fake V8 engine sounds they pipe in through the speaker system for small engines to make the experience more appealing, without offering any way to turn it off.

The Bronco will need good torque down low for offroading, and a smooth power delivery. Snappy or lurching power from a turbo kicking in will break parts and get you in more trouble on the trail, even if it seems fun when you're by yourself beating a hipster in a new Blazer crossover off the line. The Bronco also needs to be a good cruiser with enough grunt and leg room up top to carry a load of camping etc. gear for a few people out on the highway when you want to go on a great American cross-country vacation etc.

I see the 5.0L V8 and a "detuned" 3.0L V6 as the best options to deliver those things. Both of those engines leave room for the aftermarket or Ford Performance to tune up for sport/show vehicles and a Bronco Raptor -- in a way that the existing pool of Bronco enthusiasts will not get "excited" about for a 2.3L I4. Ford needs to make it easy for a big aftermarket of enthusiasts and suppliers to build up quickly around the Bronco if they really want to take on Jeep and the Wrangler -- that is one of their strengths, and one of the things that will serve as the largest barriers to gaining market share in that lucrative segment.
Well said!! 100% agree.

MuhThugga

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Silverado, 2004 GTO, 1981 El Camino
A 5.0 with a manual transmission would be awesome, but I highly, highly doubt that it going to happen. Even if it did, they would want $40-$50K, or more, for the thing, which puts it well out of my ability to justify a purchase.
In all honesty, I'd be fine with the 4 or 6 cylinder, but it has to have a manual transmission, and it has to be reasonably priced.

95CobraR

Outer Banks
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Cobra R, Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd like to see a V-6.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... Even if it did, they would want $40-$50K, or more, for the thing...
$40-50k is the range that I would expect most Bronco's to sell in. Just look at the competition, Wrangler's and 4Runner's move most of their volume in that price range, and that is one of the big things that motivated Ford to build the Bronco.

Ford can use it's facilities and supply chain etc to build a comparable vehicle for less, and sell it for a similar price. Profits = happy investors.

They just need to build something people will actually buy. Alternatively the Bronco needs to lure customers in who will buy some other Ford model -- which is something else the Wrangler does well for the Jeep brand.

Sponsored

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They just need to build something people will actually buy. Alternatively the Bronco needs to lure customers in who will buy some other Ford model -- which is something else the Wrangler does well for the Jeep brand.
Agree! With Ford's almost total pivot to SUV/trucks, they'd be smart to make the Bronco as appealing as possible to serve as their halo SUV - to help draw attention to Ford's other SUVs.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd be marginally okay with a 2.7l, happier with a 3 liter TT. I fear we won't see a V8, at least not until later in the product cycle if ever. Even if they do eventually offer a V8 it would be a tough choice - since I live at 5000+ ft ASL, a turbo engine has benefits.

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A V8 from 20 years ago is nothing like a V8 today. They'd have to do some serious torque management to keep folks in 4000lb SUVs from rolling them over every other day with over 400HP. Most people don't have that type of discipline or skill. I'd love to have a V8 in my wrangler, but it would be a handful that would need to driven carefully. I daily drove a 500whp cobra mustang for three years in rain, snow, and a few times in ice. It took a lot of restraint not to run it into ditches more than I did. Ford traction control was horrible back then. Throttle was cable driven, so the computer pulled fuel and spark to slow you down. Throttle by wire has made it a much better experience for drivers and fords warranty costs. :D

I am slightly interested in a bronco, but after test driving ford's latest offerings, I'm doubtful they're going to make it interesting to me. My Jeep wrangler Rubicon was only $30k brand new, because it has manual windows, locks, 2 doors, manual 6 spd, soft top, no u-connect, etc. My F-150 and my mustang are much better road going cars, but I don't take them rock crawling, 25mph down logging roads. etc. An independent front suspension SUV can do most of what I do in my jeep, but there's a few things they are not well suited for. The solid front axle, electronic lockers, electronic swaybar disconnect, and 4:1 transfer case in my rubicon are why I bought it.

I do have friends who are afraid of rock crawling (breaking stuff) who have or will sell their jeeps to get a bronco. They'd love IFS and better road manners that they can take down the mountain roads too.
Sponsored