Ranger Mileage Overstated?

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/02/21/ford-gas-mileage-pollution/2943404002/

Ford Motor Co. has launched an investigation into whether flaws in an internal mathematical model may have caused it to overstate gas mileage and understate pollution from a wide range of vehicles.

The company says a group of employees reported possible problems with the model in September, prompting the company to hire an outside firm to run tests. Testing will start with the 2019 Ford Ranger small pickup truck, and if problems are found, the company will start looking at models dating back to 2017.
Sponsored

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
With the next fill-up I am going to keep a notebook in the glove compartment to keep track of MPG then compare it to the computer. Guess we'll find out what the numbers are, but so far the truck says 22 MPG.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Focus ST 2018 F150 Lariat
With the next fill-up I am going to keep a notebook in the glove compartment to keep track of MPG then compare it to the computer. Guess we'll find out what the numbers are, but so far the truck says 22 MPG.
Have you thought of joining Fuelly? you can input everything on your smartphone or keep your receipt and do it on your computer.

I have my Harley and both my Focus (Foci?) on it and can look up every fill up I've ever done to them.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Per the computer, I range anywhere between 20 - 22mpg. I'm fine with that if it is correct.

I'm going to download and start using Fuelly though.

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I swear to God I'm going to be so pissed if the EPA makes them buy back, or detune my truck.

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
MPG Emissions thoughts
Catch-22
Having the best gas mileage on a gas engine produces the worst emissions and the opposite is true - having the best emissions on a gas engine reduces the MPG. So if everyone, on this forum, is getting near the specs on MPG - the vehicle could fail emissions! To fix it, a drop in MPG is needed to meet emissions for the EPA. I hope this will not be the case.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MPG Emissions thoughts
Catch-22
Having the best gas mileage on a gas engine produces the worst emissions and the opposite is true - having the best emissions on a gas engine reduces the MPG. So if everyone, on this forum, is getting near the specs on MPG - the vehicle could fail emissions! To fix it, a drop in MPG is needed to meet emissions for the EPA. I hope this will not be the case.
They will likely de-tune further if they get in trouble from the EPA, my guess is this is part of the reason that the engine has an EGR and is only tuned to 270HP. I'm told that this is the first application where a physical EGR is present on the 2.3L instead of just relying on overlap.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, more like they will cap the torque at 280ft/lbs in order to burn less fuel like Chrysler did with their CRD when it started grenading torque converters. They won't take the time to properly engineer a fix, or calculate the AFR's, or proper fuel mixtures/temperatures to fix it right unfortunately.

Where I live, there's no smog check, so I can just get an aftermarket tune and call it a day if that happens.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Yea. One of the best things about the truck is it’s torquey power. Losing that would be a killer. A tune should solve it no problem but I’d be quite annoyed especially if that opened warranty questions.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The jeep came factory with 300ft/lbs, but after that started shattering their trash torque converters, they recalled them and tuned the engine to limit torque during lockup to 260Ft/lb's. They got away with it too, so I'm going to be critical of the procedure if this results in a recall.

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This video will explain the 2019 Ford Ranger Issues
Sponsored