Your Thoughts after First Test Drive

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
ok. was just wondering why the passive aggressive comments were directed at me, or was that some sort of humor in this forum? had me confused if I'm allowed to comment about a magazine article
Sorry for the passive-aggressive comments, you're entitled to your own opinion. I'm hoping after you've had a chance to test drive a Ranger that you'll agree MotorTrend's verdict is not grounded in reality.
Sponsored

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Engineer
Sorry for the passive-aggressive comments, you're entitled to your own opinion. I'm hoping after you've had a chance to test drive a Ranger that you'll agree MotorTrend's verdict is not grounded in reality.
well that's the idea behind a test drive

I was personally trying to keep an open mind

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
well that's the idea behind a test drive

I was personally trying to keep an open mind
Oh for sure, I'm not so biased that I can't admit the Ranger has faults of its own.

jesskewl

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 dodge durango RT
It's a reference to this similar MotorTrend article: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/colorado/20J19/chevrolet-colorado-ford-ranger-honda-ridgeline-toyota-tacoma-comparison/

Apparently the Ridgeline is the smoothest and most comfortable midsize truck, better than Tacoma and Ranger.
Just test drove a ZR2 to get it out of my system...loved being high up and drive was nice...I found the interior outdated from my 12 Durango RT though. I didnt do any offroading so I cant comment about that. I owned a 17 Ridgeline and it was like an SUV with good storage...wasnt sad to see it go to the ex though lol.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
When I test drove my Ranger, it had some harsh shifts like many have noted that I definitely noticed and made me raise my eyebrows. By the time I picked it up a couple days later those had smoothed out and I've never experienced them since. It must be that the transmission was still "learning".

My wife and youngest son also went with me on the test drive. My wife HATED it and said she never wanted to ride in it again... which, of course made me want to get it that much more. My youngest (6) thought it was the coolest thing he had ever ridden in and couldn't wait to slide open the rear window. :crackup:

Marc F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4
When I test drove my Ranger, it had some harsh shifts like many have noted that I definitely noticed and made me raise my eyebrows. By the time I picked it up a couple days later those had smoothed out and I've never experienced them since. It must be that the transmission was still "learning".

My wife and youngest son also went with me on the test drive. My wife HATED it and said she never wanted to ride in it again... which, of course made me want to get it that much more. My youngest (6) thought it was the coolest thing he had ever ridden in and couldn't wait to slide open the rear window. :crackup:
Same experience for me on the shifts. Was told by the dealer when I bought it that it adjusts to your driving style. Its starting to smooth out for me after having it a few days, or maybe its me subconsciously adjusting my driving. Either way its getting better.

Last edited:

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I have my Super Cab on order and was trying to resist even looking at one....didn't want to ruin the surprise but, while out today, I drove my my dealer just to see if they had a Ranger. They did. A black and a white pearl. Both Lariats. Went in and saw my salesman to see if I could sit it in it. He said, "Let's go take it for a drive!".

I don't have a super-critical eye (mainly to try an maintain my sanity), but my quick broad-brushed opinions are:

1. Looks even better in person. Really a nice looking truck.
2. I'm 6'3" and had plenty of room. I was able to easily find a comfortable driving position with the adjustable seat and steering wheel. I drove a Wildtrak overseas and thought those seats were perfect and I still prefer the ROW Ranger seats. A little bit more firm foam in the seats, but the seats in the US Ranger are still very comfortable.
3. Good power as expected.
4. I've heard it drives like an SUV. Nope. It drives like something between an SUV and an F150, which is as expected. It's not as nimble or light feeling as our Rogue, but it's more nimble and lighter feeling than an F150. Seems to be a little softer ride overall than the ROW Ranger I drove.
5. Brakes are good, but the pedal is a little soft. I like a firm brake pedal.
6. Switchgear had a nice feel.
7. Spray on bedliner is well done and seems like a quality product.
8. There was a slight incline leading into the dealership and when I returned, It was a smooth transition. My neck/head didn't flail around and almost hit the window (*cough* Motor Trend *cough*).
9. Checked the door alignment...All good.
10. Transmission shifted smoothly.

Basically, I felt very comfortable in the truck and was pleased with build quality, ride, interior and exterior. Still on track for a March 18 build so probably looking at May delivery. Can't wait. Seems like a vehicle I'm going to completely enjoy.

This dealership received 3 Rangers and sold 2 already in addition to putting in orders for 3 others and fielding a bunch of inquiries. Regardless of what the perpetually unhappy say, there seems to be good initial demand.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got to sit in another Ranger on my lunch break, this time a Shadow Black XLT Sport. My dealer knows my woes about my preordered Ranger and suggested I just buy this one. I said it’s too expensive and a boring color (sorry Shadow Black owners).

I like the cloth seats in the XLT, but I prefer some of the other interior features of the Lariat. The Lariat 501A Package is a little bit nicer inside and better equipped, but too much money.

4934B880-FCF9-449B-9963-6A01BE5437BA.jpeg

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I got to sit in another Ranger on my lunch break, this time a Shadow Black XLT Sport. My dealer knows my woes about my preordered Ranger and suggested I just buy this one. I said it’s too expensive and a boring color (sorry Shadow Black owners).

I like the cloth seats in the XLT, but I prefer some of the other interior features of the Lariat. The Lariat 501A Package is a little bit nicer inside and better equipped, but too much money.

4934B880-FCF9-449B-9963-6A01BE5437BA.jpeg
I think the Lariat adds just the right amount of chrome to Shadow Black.

kaltzbar

First Name
Barret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I finally had a chance to test drive the Ranger for my first time tonight – which is surprising for someone who lives in Dearborn and works for a Ford/Lincoln marketing agency! Here are some of my initial thoughts after the long-awaited drive.

Pros:
  • Very comfortable interior, from someone who is 6’2”
  • Nimble handling for a truck
  • Fits in my garage!!!
  • My mountain bike fit in the 5’ bed (standing up diagonally)
  • Surprisingly quick, especially in Sport mode
  • Large mirrors and rear camera make backing up a breeze

Cons:
  • Bouncy ride, until I realized the tire pressure was set at 45 psi
  • Transmission felt awkward at launch, trying to find the right gear. Though this truck only had 37 miles, Sport mode felt much better
  • Limited visibility out the rear view window with the back headrests up
  • Wish the back seat had better storage and more room for my 130 lb dog!
Overall, my expectations were not let down and I am still excited as ever for my Pre-order to arrive this Spring!

F6ACC426-FF05-4FA6-B89B-976E68765FAD.jpeg

AAB169E2-38DD-4B16-8AF6-60CFDFE4FE16.jpeg

C76E6EA3-5EFD-476B-8699-4B834137118F.jpeg

Rockweiler

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab 4x4
So far I only have one major pet peeve with this truck and has to do with the rear seat cargo capacity. The fold up feature is almost useless (for my use), makes it even more ackward to fit stuff IMO. Even though it would’ve been a high lift over I would’ve prefered the seat back go down flat and form a nice big pad instead of this oversized frozen pizza holder!

flatus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F1Fitty
I finally had a chance to test drive the Ranger for my first time tonight – which is surprising for someone who lives in Dearborn and works for a Ford/Lincoln marketing agency! Here are some of my initial thoughts after the long-awaited drive.

Pros:
  • Very comfortable interior, from someone who is 6’2”
  • Nimble handling for a truck
  • Fits in my garage!!!
  • My mountain bike fit in the 5’ bed (standing up diagonally)
  • Surprisingly quick, especially in Sport mode
  • Large mirrors and rear camera make backing up a breeze

Cons:
  • Bouncy ride, until I realized the tire pressure was set at 45 psi
  • Transmission felt awkward at launch, trying to find the right gear. Though this truck only had 37 miles, Sport mode felt much better
  • Limited visibility out the rear view window with the back headrests up
  • Wish the back seat had better storage and more room for my 130 lb dog!
Overall, my expectations were not let down and I am still excited as ever for my Pre-order to arrive this Spring!

Why is there a truck tag mounted to the side of the truck?