First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Thinking about the warm winter has made me homesick a bit....haven't felt that way in a while.....
Through on some George Strait (Mrs. Quail Guy is a BIG fan...seen him 19 times live...lol), anyway...listening to songs like "Texas"....."Somewhere Down In Texas" and "I Can't See Texas From Here"....makes me really miss the Lone Star State....heck we grew up on the beach and I haven't had sand between my toes since 2011. If you guys and gals only knew how many sharks we have tagged as part of the NMFS program over the years....I miss that kind of fishing so much! You have not lived till you tag and release a 6 foot plus shark, at night on the beach, by yourself.....in knee deep water ?
We kayak out big horse mullet for bait and wait....
Also kayak fish in the surf for all kinds of large offshore species that frequent the beach front in the summer time.
If you want to see the kind of fishing I grew up with check out this website, specifically the surf fishing message board:
www.2coolfishing.com
You can also check out this website if your ever interested in a guided shark adventure on the south Texas coast....this guy Eric "OZ" Ozolins is a shark fishing legend....
www.extremecoast.com
I'll have to dig out some old pictures.....Anyway, nothing like the Texas coast!
Been there, Done That ...Top Reel is an Original 16/0 Penn..
Regards
Doc
EDIT: Here’s one that not so Salty (BottomPic)
B7FAA20F-CD4B-4BA2-AFCC-B304CDB11F30.jpeg

B2FC1DBC-6A26-48BA-AC25-D66A710159ED.jpeg

0B6AB19F-04C4-45FE-995F-1217C302077E.jpeg

62C6AC34-D9E9-41A1-B13A-5ABA1945526C.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Dave...not to change the subject in this thread....:giggle:....but, with my tuner, can I load a tune, try it out, go back to the house, load another one, take a test drive, go back to the house, load another one.....you get the picture....is that ok to do?....may sound silly but I don't want to mess up my Ranger since I'm new to this tuning thing,
Technically yes but it's best to run a tank or two through to get the full effect of the tune. It only takes about 2-3 minutes to flash between them. The performance tune will shift harsh at first but eventually smoothens out. I'm running the 91-93 performance tune all the time and love it! The only other one I tied was the tow tune but went right back the the performance one. Might as we'll run balls out since that what we got it for. ?

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Technically yes but it's best to run a tank or two through to get the full effect of the tune. It only takes about 2-3 minutes to flash between them. The performance tune will shift harsh at first but eventually smoothens out. I'm running the 91-93 performance tune all the time and love it! The only other one I tied was the tow tune but went right back the the performance one. Might as we'll run balls out since that what we got it for. ?
I thought I loaded the 91-93 performance tune with the hard shift but when I ran her last night the shifts didn't really feel harsh. Honestly, I thought that was the tune I loaded but it may have be the soft shift one. We had snow yesterday so conditions are just now getting dry enough to put my foot into it. I'm fixing to take her out right now and see how it feels. I'll get back on that....

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Awesome !
Dont recognize the top fish ? What is it ?
Regards
Doc
Its a pretty rare Atlantic Lancet caught 200 miles plus off of Hatteras. Its 50 inches long but the taxidermist wasnt able to duplicate the 16 inch long feathered tail as it was so fragile. The Mako was 8 footer.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Its a pretty rare Atlantic Lancet caught 200 miles plus off of Hatteras. Its 50 inches long but the taxidermist wasnt able to duplicate the 16 inch long feathered tail as it was so fragile. The Mako was 8 footer.
I remember the name Lancet, I never saw one, never Caught a Mako, Lots of Bulls, lemons, Hammers and One Tiger..
I bet the Mako gave you some Acrobatics !
Regards
Doc

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
I remember the name Lancet, I never saw one, never Caught a Mako, Lots of Bulls, Hammers and One Tiger..
Regards
Doc
There are several Lancets, the Atlantic one is slightly different. They are hard to catch as they swim so fast and if you hook them in their lower jaw it just falls off and the top of jaw is boney. They are brightly colored but as soon as they hit the boat they turn black and silver. Took a while to find a taxidermist to do it. Mako wore us out, fight to the end. Fed lots of people for a long time. I usually through everything back. My little brother commercial fished for 10 years and he saw some crazy stuff in the ocean. Bret

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
I remember the name Lancet, I never saw one, never Caught a Mako, Lots of Bulls, lemons, Hammers and One Tiger..
Regards
Doc
Lots of bull sharks up here but I would love to catch a Hammer. I think Jerseys worst shark attach was a bull way up a fresh water river in north Jersey.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
There are several Lancets, the Atlantic one is slightly different. They are hard to catch as they swim so fast and if you hook them in their lower jaw it just falls off and the top of jaw is boney. They are brightly colored but as soon as they hit the boat they turn black and silver. Took a while to find a taxidermist to do it. Mako wore us out, fight to the end. Fed lots of people for a long time. I usually through everything back. My little brother commercial fished for 10 years and he saw some crazy stuff in the ocean. Bret
When I was a kid, The Miami Herald Fishing Guide (book) listed the Mako as the fastest runners app 35 mph, and rated Excellent in Edibility, bringing back memories!

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
When I was a kid, The Miami Herald Fishing Guide (book) listed the Mako as the fastest runners app 35 mph, and rated Excellent in Edibility, bringing back memories!
LOl they are incredible creatures, I do believe they got over fished in the 70's and 80's.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Lots of bull sharks up here but I would love to catch a Hammer. I think Jerseys worst shark attach was a bull way up a fresh water river in north Jersey.
Yes They have been known to spawn in fresh water rivers, we Have them in the Suwannee and Steinhatchee rivers, another captain friend of mine sets up rods in the steinhatchee river 1/2 mile from the gulf entrance and when he hooks up jumps in a Kayak and let’s the shark pull him down the river, all bulls in the river..I’m too old for that..

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Been there, Done That ...Top Reel is an Original 16/0 Penn..
Regards
Doc
EDIT: Here’s one that not so Salty (BottomPic)
B7FAA20F-CD4B-4BA2-AFCC-B304CDB11F30.jpeg

B2FC1DBC-6A26-48BA-AC25-D66A710159ED.jpeg

0B6AB19F-04C4-45FE-995F-1217C302077E.jpeg

62C6AC34-D9E9-41A1-B13A-5ABA1945526C.jpeg
That is very awesome Doc!
My step granddad was a crazy Greek from Galveston. He medically retired as a senior captain with the Houston Fire Department after falling through a 4 story building during a fire. Anyway, in his younger days he was a big shark fisherman in the Galveston area. He actually caught 2 world record fish off a pleasure pier in Galveston.
The first was in June 1937, a 551 lb Goliath Grouper. The 2nd was New Years Day 1939, a 736 lb Largetooth Sawfish. Both are still State of Texas records today and will not be broken due to these species not occurring in State waters anywhere close to that size. Gus Pangarakis was a very colorful character. We called him the "Chief"....he was truly larger than life...
1200x0 (1).jpg
1200x0.jpg

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
Funny part of fishing now I wont go far out as I will barf my guts out. I think its a slight inner ear thing, maybe getting a little old. Large mouth bass fishing is something I can handle now. You are down in a paradise area for fishing, fresh or salt. LOL Bret

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
Yes They have been known to spawn in fresh water rivers, we Have them in the Suwannee and Steinhatchee rivers, another captain friend of mine sets up rods in the steinhatchee river 1/2 mile from the gulf entrance and when he hooks up jumps in a Kayak and let’s the shark pull him down the river, all bulls in the river..I’m too old for that..
LOL, not me in a kayak ! There is a perfect situation "where we need a bigger boat"
Sponsored