Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
You wanna see a light show?.....This is Sids right show. :sunglasses:

New Years Eve 2021...I'm cruising with full light show lol ? ?
Sponsored

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
Not my picture, but I thought it was pretty cool nevertheless.

The 1000' Mesabi Miner freighter covered in snow passing under the Aerial Lift Bridge last night heading out onto Lake Superior during our snow "storm".

1608571227581.png
The Gott is my favorite boat. Why?? Read below. He set the 74,100 record tonnage just a few years ago. He hauls &%$#! and does it with the most power on the lakes.

Edwin H. Gott is one of thirteen 1000 foot vessels sailing the Great Lakes. She was the eighth super carrier to enter service during a ten year building program from 1971 to 1981. Gott is a product of Bay Shipbuilding and was launched on July 19, 1978. From 1979 to 1995, Edwin H. Gott exclusively carried taconite loaded in Duluth, Silver Bay, and Two Harbors. Two Harbors was her main loading port, and Gary became her principal unloading port because of her original self-unloader design. She was built with a short "shuttle" boom different from a traditional, long tubular boom. Her shuttle boom could move only 52 feet laterally over her side to discharge taconite into a hopper positioned close to dockside. Gary is one port with this feature along with Conneaut, Ohio, which became her secondary unloading.

At the end of the 1995 shipping season, Gott returned to her builders yard for lay-up and to receive a new self-unloading boom. Her shuttle boom was replaced with a traditional, long tubular boom. Her conversion is significant not only because she is now a more versatile and efficient carrier, but her new self-unloading boom is the longest in lakes history. At 280 feet, her boom is 15 to 30 feet longer than other laker's booms. Since her conversion, Edwin H. Gott has remained in taconite trades but has visited a few new ports including Taconite Harbor, Indiana Harbor, and Lorain.

The commissioning of the Gott and her 1000 foot near-sister, Edgar B. Speer, built in 1980 at Lorain, changed the USS Great Lakes Fleet. Before the Gott and Speer, USS Great Lakes Fleet had a large fleet of smaller, traditional straight-deck lakers supplying their steel mills. Together, the Gott and Speer represent over 120,000 tons of capacity. This added capacity meant the retirement of the fleet's smaller lakers. During the 1980's, these older lakers were moved one-by-one to scrap yards. Other Great Lakes fleets followed the same trend. Edwin H. Gott, on the other hand, should ply the lakes well into the century.

Vessel Statistics​
Length​
1004'​
Beam​
105'​
Depth​
52'​
Capacity​
74,100 ton​
Horsepower diesel engine​
19,500 (largest on the lakes)​

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Falkland Islands tour....
Falkland Islandd.jpg

Offrading to the penguin rookerie
Falkland Islandd offroading.jpg

King Penguins
Falkland Islandd kingpenguines.jpg

Magellen Juvenile
Falkland Islandd Magellanjuminaljpg.jpg

Just before I pet him as he pecked my knee...warning....Do Not Pet a Penguin...terribly oily and the smell stays on your hands for days! YUK!
Falkland Islandd Magellanjuminaljpg1.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Not my picture, but I thought it was pretty cool nevertheless.

The 1000' Mesabi Miner freighter covered in snow passing under the Aerial Lift Bridge last night heading out onto Lake Superior during our snow "storm".

1608571227581.png
You couldn't pay me enough to run Superior in the winter.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
trails maintenance
Here is the Edgar B. Speer breaking through ice at the Rock Cut in the St. Mary's River. Sorry but I can't figure out how to install the videos in this forum. The St Mary is the water that drains from Lake Superior. The depth in this man made "rock cut" channel is shallow like 4 ft below there hull and boats must use care or there props will create a windrow of rock, that the next boat will strike. I can't locate the Gott's prop size right now but I believe it has twin, 16ft screws with 9000 HP to each.
I love these big machines!

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The Gott is my favorite boat. Why?? Read below. He set the 74,100 record tonnage just a few years ago. He hauls &%$#! and does it with the most power on the lakes.

Edwin H. Gott is one of thirteen 1000 foot vessels sailing the Great Lakes. She was the eighth super carrier to enter service during a ten year building program from 1971 to 1981. Gott is a product of Bay Shipbuilding and was launched on July 19, 1978. From 1979 to 1995, Edwin H. Gott exclusively carried taconite loaded in Duluth, Silver Bay, and Two Harbors. Two Harbors was her main loading port, and Gary became her principal unloading port because of her original self-unloader design. She was built with a short "shuttle" boom different from a traditional, long tubular boom. Her shuttle boom could move only 52 feet laterally over her side to discharge taconite into a hopper positioned close to dockside. Gary is one port with this feature along with Conneaut, Ohio, which became her secondary unloading.

At the end of the 1995 shipping season, Gott returned to her builders yard for lay-up and to receive a new self-unloading boom. Her shuttle boom was replaced with a traditional, long tubular boom. Her conversion is significant not only because she is now a more versatile and efficient carrier, but her new self-unloading boom is the longest in lakes history. At 280 feet, her boom is 15 to 30 feet longer than other laker's booms. Since her conversion, Edwin H. Gott has remained in taconite trades but has visited a few new ports including Taconite Harbor, Indiana Harbor, and Lorain.

The commissioning of the Gott and her 1000 foot near-sister, Edgar B. Speer, built in 1980 at Lorain, changed the USS Great Lakes Fleet. Before the Gott and Speer, USS Great Lakes Fleet had a large fleet of smaller, traditional straight-deck lakers supplying their steel mills. Together, the Gott and Speer represent over 120,000 tons of capacity. This added capacity meant the retirement of the fleet's smaller lakers. During the 1980's, these older lakers were moved one-by-one to scrap yards. Other Great Lakes fleets followed the same trend. Edwin H. Gott, on the other hand, should ply the lakes well into the century.

Vessel Statistics​
Length​
1004'​
Beam​
105'​
Depth​
52'​
Capacity​
74,100 ton​
Horsepower diesel engine​
19,500 (largest on the lakes)​
Hi Arlyn,

I have been on the Detroit River when the Edwin H. Gott was sailing to Ohio. We regularly sailed with the ore boats. We had a guide book on Ore Freighters that listed every carrier on the Great Lakes. We had to stay clear of the smaller older boats more than the newer ones due to rivet failure danger. We only had one rivet zing over our bow that we were aware of as we tacked to get out of the carrier's way. (Sailboats have the priority over motor powered vessles, but when a freighter needs several miles to stop they are the Kings...).. UBI?

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
trails maintenance
It's interesting that the Paul R. Tregurtha, the largest freighter on the lakes, is 9.5 feet longer at 1013.5', but has a capacity of only 68,000 tons, a good bit less. Maybe it's because it has so much more power, not sure.

Either way, I love seeing all the freighters. I sometimes spend the summer days sitting down at the Canal, or up at a park on top of the hill here in Duluth, just watching the boats come and go. The new huge ones are just so awe inspiring. To see something so big move through the water and pass within a dozen yards of you. And then the classics, in service for almost 80 years and having so many stories and experiences.
The increase capacity is liking from design changes of the cargo holds and its conveyor system. The Gott is king of HP, tonnage capacity and boom length at 280ft. I'm not certain if they include thruster HP when they give its max HP rating.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hi Arlyn,

I have been on the Detroit River when the Edwin H. Gott was sailing to Ohio. We regularly sailed with the ore boats. We had a guide book on Ore Freighters that listed every carrier on the Great Lakes. We had to stay clear of the smaller older boats more than the newer ones due to rivet failure danger. We only had one rivet zing over our bow that we were aware of as we tacked to get out of the carrier's way. (Sailboats have the priority over motor powered vessles, but when a freighter needs several miles to stop they are the Kings...).. UBI?

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
If only everyone knew and followed the right of way. I remember one time in my kayak, I literally had my kid, maybe 3 years old, up in the air about to throw them clear before a speedboat saw me and changed course. Still almost dumped the boat.

I guess that isn’t right of way as much as paying attention

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
trails maintenance

SBCSD

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Sport
Occupation
Areospace
Edwards AFB hosted first-ever hybrid air show during the summer this year. Their flight path went right over my home so I was able to get some nice shots as they fly over head. This C-17 is one of my favorite photos from that day. The 1st picture is the original photo, 2nd photo I replaced the sky in Photoshop. Came out nice even though the sun was in the foreground in the original photo and in the sky replacement photo, it's in the background!:cool:

IMG_4312.jpg

C17.jpg

Deleted member 1634

Edwards AFB hosted first-ever hybrid air show during the summer this year. Their flight path went right over my home so I was able to get some nice shots as they fly over head. This C-17 is one of my favorite photos from that day. The 1st picture is the original photo, 2nd photo I replaced the sky in Photoshop. Came out nice even though the sun was in the foreground in the original photo and in the sky replacement photo, it's in the background!:cool:

IMG_4312.jpg

C17.jpg
Nice! Always amazed to see those big birds fly, and even be so nimble like the C-17 is in flight.

I grabbed the first shot from the Duluth Airshow last summer. The second shot is from Oshkosh AirVenture (largest airshow in the world) two years ago. Not many people get to see an actual aerial refueling exercise, though they seem to be doing it more often at air shows now. Photos are not the greatest, took them with my phone.

USAF KC-135 mock refueling a C-17
66840025_10214337875190163_5065757086311251968_o.jpg

USAF KC-10 mock refueling a F-22
37917822_10212014749433471_4846462799276146688_o.jpg