Scouting Salmon La Sac 11/22/20 (pic heavy)

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
A couple friends (Paul, Henry) and I rendezvoused at Snoqualamie Pass in Washington and drove out to Salmon La Sac to scout it for camp sites for next weekends monthly meet up.

Road was socked in and somehow none of us had chains but we still made it a good way in before turning around. Henry's in an older 4wd Tacoma, Paul is in a Lexus SUV (basically a fancy Toyota) with AWD, and me in mine. This is the first time I've had it in snow, and the first time I've had opportunity to test out these new snow tires - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2. These tires don't look impressive, especially next to a chunky KO2 or Wildpeak but they are fan frickin tastic in the ice and snow. They they totally proved their mettle. All my doubts are gone. The tires did an outstanding job. The truck did a good job. 4wd snow terrain mode was fantastic, rear locker, super choice. Between the truck and the tires I was in fantastic shape. I just couldn't be happier.

One thing I did notice - engaging crawl control bypassed the terrain management modes. Crawl control also worked very well, but it went about it differently than the snow mode (much higher RPMs for starters).

Here's a boring youtube video of us driving the road (I think it interesting but I can see where others might not). Bit of radio banter and some snow machines towards the end.

20201122_114926.jpg

20201122_114934.jpg

20201122_115111.jpg

20201122_120613.jpg

20201122_125549.jpg

20201122_130614.jpg

20201122_140729.jpg

20201122_140738.jpg

Henry got stuck in especially deep snow getting turned around. We were having a blast, we had plenty of daylight and this proved to be additional problem solving fun. Got a chance to break out the SNATCH BLOCK and use the winch to pull himself out.
20201122_140833.jpg

SnatchBlock.PNG

It was a good day.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
Very nice. You never said if you found the camp sites you were scouting for.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
tehschkott

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
I mean, there are a lot of sites up there.
Very nice. You never said if you found the camp sites you were scouting for.:thumbsup:
Aye well, there's a ton of sites up there, both proper and dispersed. There was a LOT of snowmobile activity and it was difficult to get off the main drag because it was so snowed in. So we've got some decisions to make. I didn't have one eureka moment, but I did come away with a few possibles I need to mull over and make some decisions on. Things like this, you need a primary and a backup in case the primary is full by the time you get there. Problem is I've just no idea what's going to work and what's not.
Sponsored

Last edited: