AluCab Ranger Build for 14ers and 4 Corners

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Just wanted to post up my build to give people ideas and for fun.

For reference I've use Tepui RTT for years. I bought my first in 2014 and used it around CO for 14er hikes. I sold most of my stuff while I moved around in the Navy for a few years. When I separated I "upgraded" to a light 18ft travel trailer to travel long distance more. The Tacoma couldn't handle it and I hated to awkwardness of it and not being able to take it on dirt roads. I sold the Tacoma and bought the Ranger and quickly ordered the AluCab canopy camper. I love the versatility of the camper. It's light, warm, well constructed and thought out, and a good price. A well rounded package in my book. I also love the tech, power, and smallness of the Ranger. I can get down any trail I want to with ease.

Ranger Mods,
Eibach front struts and rear shocks
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/E...Eibach-Pro-Truck-Front-3-Leveling-Struts.html

Rear air bags
Stainless steel down pipe
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/D...coBoost-SPD-3-Stainless-Catted-Downpipes.html

AFe interocoler piping (really junk!)
32in Duratracs
Tons of Forscan mods

AluCab Canopy Camper
https://ok4wd.com/brands/alucab/alu-cab-canopy-camper-for-2019-ford-ranger

Trail Kitchens Van Kitchen Box (A great compact kitchen with built in fresh and grey tanks, stove, drawers, everything)
https://trailkitchens.com/products/campervan-kitchen-unit?variant=7106575073310

National Luna battery box (smart charging and battery isolator all engineered and built as one small unit)
https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/battery-solutions/national-luna-portable-power-pack.html

Generic cheap and small Amazon compressor fridge

I have the propane heater Rin from OK4wd has in his Tacoma, but I am waiting on a fit kit for the AluCab. Winter is coming fast though.
https://www.amazon.com/Dickinson-Ma...nson+heater&qid=1599578403&sr=8-6&tag=mh0b-20
IMG_0526.jpg
IMG_0543.jpg
IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg
Sponsored

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
Extremely bad ass.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Truck is looking great John! I just got back from doing the alpine loop and running a few off the path mine trails. Definitely too many side by sides to drive the loop mid day and enjoy it.

Guinness

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Hello from a fellow Ranger/AluCab Canopy Camper!

We're also excitedly waiting for the heater fit kit.

Hopefully this weekend will be the install of solar panels to prep for battery and fridge.

1599757739674.png

OP
OP

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Hello from a fellow Ranger/AluCab Canopy Camper!

We're also excitedly waiting for the heater fit kit.

Hopefully this weekend will be the install of solar panels to prep for battery and fridge.
Hey! Nice setup. The black goes nicely on grey. Yeah it’s nice that the Anderson plug for solar is right on top and wired in.

impatiently waiting for that fit kit. The design look very good and can’t wait to campout in the forest and do some snowshoeing adventures this winter.

do you run any suspension mods out back??
What was your drop in mpg? I went from 24 hwy to 20 and after doing some city driving and a mtn pass off road I averaged 18. This is all hand calculated of course over the course of a full tank of gas. I’m happy with that. My 2016 Tacoma with Icon lift, 32s and Tepui tent on a small rack brought me down to 16 average.

OP
OP

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
DAAAAAMMMMMNNNNNN! How much do you have in that setup? I like it!!!!
A bit, I’ve never broken it down, so I’ll attempt here

Truck 40,000
AluCab 12,500
Fridge 200
Battery box and battery
Trail Kitchen 3000
Suspension and air bags 750
Tires 800
Downpipe 550
Intercooler piping 350
Tune 500

Let’s round that to 60,000 cash. All paid for and no interest, so that’s a hard real number. I’m not bragging, I just don’t think 40,000 for a truck at 3% for 6 years counts as paying 40k for a truck. Rant over.

There are plenty of other, more different, better, worse, whatever ways to spend 60k. This was my choice and suits my needs exactly.

Guinness

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Hey! Nice setup. The black goes nicely on grey. Yeah it’s nice that the Anderson plug for solar is right on top and wired in.

impatiently waiting for that fit kit. The design look very good and can’t wait to campout in the forest and do some snowshoeing adventures this winter.

do you run any suspension mods out back??
What was your drop in mpg? I went from 24 hwy to 20 and after doing some city driving and a mtn pass off road I averaged 18. This is all hand calculated of course over the course of a full tank of gas. I’m happy with that. My 2016 Tacoma with Icon lift, 32s and Tepui tent on a small rack brought me down to 16 average.
The pre-wiring for solar and lights wired in are fantastic!

We have Radflo shocks front and back and put in OME leaf springs for the weight in back.

We lost 2-3mpg with the lift and tires and then another 2-3 from the camper. Now getting 15-18 depending on speed, hills, and off road %. Might change the tires somewhat when these wear out to improve that a bit.

Hoping eventually to get some mpg improvements from filling the gap from camper to top of the cab with a framed lightbar and considering the Livernois tune.

Guinness

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
OP
OP

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
A bit, I’ve never broken it down, so I’ll attempt here

Truck 40,000
AluCab 12,500
Fridge 200
Battery box and battery
Trail Kitchen 3000
Suspension and air bags 750
Tires 800
Downpipe 550
Intercooler piping 350
Tune 500

Let’s round that to 60,000 cash. All paid for and no interest, so that’s a hard real number. I’m not bragging, I just don’t think 40,000 for a truck at 3% for 6 years counts as paying 40k for a truck. Rant over.

There are plenty of other, more different, better, worse, whatever ways to spend 60k. This was my choice and suits my needs exactly.
I think that is a good price for what you ended up with; basically a camper that will go anywhere. Try doing that with a purpose built rig and I'd be surprised if you would be able to get in for under $150,000.

I agree with you on the financing thing. When possible, I pay cash for everything. If I can't afford it I wont buy it and I don't carry any debt. Not a brag. I was in debt for most of my teens and all of my twenties and most of my thirties. I'm 40 and debt free!

I would LOVE to build out a rig like yours. But...

But I would have to buy a whole 'nother Ranger to use for truck stuff. Now I'm two Rangers into the cost equation and that just doesn't work!
Sponsored