Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Changing your 2019 Ford Ranger's oil? You better be ready for a few extra steps

By Kyle Hyatt

Updated 1/7/2019 11:13 A.M

Changing your own oil is one of the simplest and most approachable bits of maintenance that you can do for your vehicle -- unless of course, the manufacturer for some reason decides to make the process more of a pain than it needs to be.

According to a report published Thursday by The Truth About Cars, Ford was said to have made the new Ranger's oil filter nearly impossible to get at without removing one of the car's wheels. However, a Ford service training webinar made available to Roadshow states that removing the wheel isn't necessary, though removing three trim clips and pulling back a rubber flap in the vehicle's wheel well is.

fordrangerwebinar.jpg

The 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine found in the Ranger is slightly different from the one found in other applications. The Ranger's enlarged oil cooler means that there isn't room for the filter to live down by the oil pan, and instead, it was relocated up and into the side of the engine block, protruding at a right angle. This means that removing it is a little less simple than sliding underneath the truck with a pair of slip-joint pliers (please, don't do this) and a can-do attitude.

But things don't stop there. To get to the oil drain plug, there is another panel in the vehicle's underbody tray that has four fasteners that need to be removed. Granted, having to access a drain plug through an access panel in an underbody tray isn't all that weird on a modern vehicle, but when added to the rest of the rigamarole, it's just annoying.

Clearly, this kind of inconvenience isn't the end of the world. And thankfully, it's not nearly as bad as we originally thought.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
You have to remove plastic trim rivets. How many times will you be able to do that before you have to replace them? Then there's a panel flapping in the way. And that's after cranking the wheel one direction to make space.

No, that doesn't sound awful, but it is a pain in the ass and it's totally unnecessary. My wife's 2018 Jeep Cherokee is the same way. It has TWO panels that need to be moved to do the oil change, and the oil filter is in such a funky position that it's hard to do on your back in the driveway without slicing your wrist. No reason for it to be designed like that whatsoever!

Compare that to the 3.6L engine in the JL....I can literally change my oil and filter in 3 minutes start to finish.

OP
OP
rangerdanger

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
You have to remove plastic trim rivets. How many times will you be able to do that before you have to replace them? Then there's a panel flapping in the way. And that's after cranking the wheel one direction to make space.

No, that doesn't sound awful, but it is a pain in the ass and it's totally unnecessary. My wife's 2018 Jeep Cherokee is the same way. It has TWO panels that need to be moved to do the oil change, and the oil filter is in such a funky position that it's hard to do on your back in the driveway without slicing your wrist. No reason for it to be designed like that whatsoever!

Compare that to the 3.6L engine in the JL....I can literally change my oil and filter in 3 minutes start to finish.
Plus there is this gem:

To get to the oil drain plug, there is another panel in the vehicle's underbody tray that has four fasteners that need to be removed. Granted, having to access a drain plug through an access panel in an underbody tray isn't all that weird on a modern vehicle, but when added to the rest of the rigamarole, it's just annoying.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the group of "WGAS", I'm used to it. My Jeep has to have the steering shaft disconnected and moved to remove the filter. I had it remote but didn't care for where It was mounted.

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2011 (2).jpg

Pat McGrath

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4X4 XLT Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
Does the dealer reinstall the rubber flap after the oil change?

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
My Focus was the same way. Had to remove the underbody mat. Not a big deal, but one more thing to do.

tugger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 Super Crew Latiat Lightning Blue FX4
Occupation
Register Nurse Emergency Room
does the flap need to be back on, can you leave it off?

Scotty J

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 - 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 2012 BMW R1200GSA - 1972 Honda CB750 Four
Occupation
CADD Designer, Survey Technician
In my wife's Range Rover Evoque, the strut brace has to be removed to change the battery. I learned this in a dark parking lot at 7pm and 15 degrees. I guess this is how things are designed in this day & age.

SteveT

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Forester
I'm trading in a Subaru Forester for my new Ranger (I need more towing capacity). One thing I will miss is that Subaru puts the oil filter ON TOP of the engine with a handy drip tray that returns spilled oil to the pan.

2017-subaru-forester-engine-bay.jpg

tugger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That's a great spot for easy removal. I don't understand why engineers put oil filters in the most difficult locations to replace especially when designing engines from scratch?

tugger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have the same question. Why replace the flap? Why not leave it off so your next oil change will have one less step!!

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Why pull up your pants after? The good thing is people who should not be working on anything will be dissuaded from screwing up their vehicle. :shock:

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
I have the same question. Why replace the flap? Why not leave it off so your next oil change will have one less step!!
The flap doesn’t come completely off when you do it. You’re removing the grommets from the top portion and bending it out of the way but it is still attached at other points.

tugger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What does this diagram show?
Sponsored