Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My Oldie but Goodie.

1989 with swapped in 4.0 and M5OD 5 speed.

Thunderbird TurboCoupe seats (they bolted right in!), 6" lift and 33" tires.

Fun truck. Should have kept it.

IMGP0929.JPG

Rangerlift_6inch_33s_example.JPG

2020XLT

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2015 Ford Edge, 1966 Mustang GT
Occupation
GE Healthcare FSE, Retired
My past Ranger was a 2000 extended cab XLT, 4X4 that I purchased in 2003 with 50k miles, sold it in May with 100k miles for $6200 after I purchased a new 2020 XLT SuperCrew Cab. Loved the old Ranger, hated the terrible gas mileage, love the new Ranger and the great gas mileage. Installed the middle tie down hooks, vinyl letters on tailgate, grill and dash, ignition key trim ring and gas shock dampener on tailgate. Thanks to everyone here for their customizing ideas......

IMG_20200515_201108.jpg

IMG_20200422_160722.jpg

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I don't have pictures of all of them, but I had an 89 extended cab, 2wd 4cyl 5spd Ranger Sport red with black stripes, a 1995 regular cab 4wd 4 cyl 5spd in Sapphire blue, a 2003 Ranger Edge, extended cab 4.0 and 5spd, a 2003 Sport Trac, white 5spd, 2wd, 4.0. Then this last one. All were used except for the 2003 Ranger. I liked that one the most.
100_1961.JPG

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
I think Ive posted most of these before, but why not. My Ranger or Ranger based vehicles, since the mid 80,s

84, 4x4 5spd, stock, great truck! IIRC, it was a "Explorer" model before the actual Explorer existed
truck0001.jpg

87 STX, 4x4, 5spd, stock, same! buddys 92 or so ranger and another buddys Explorer behind
truck.jpg

92 Explorer, 3" lift 32" bfg,s , manual hubs, etc. really had a good time in this one, huge miles when I finally sold it!
explorer.jpg

01 Sport trac, 2 or 3" lift, 31 or 32" bfgs, had 300, 000km when I sold it!, really loved that truck
Picture 038.jpg

2007 Sport Trac V8, had some lift issues with this one, but still a good truck, think its sitting on 32" tires and about 2" lift here. Traded it on a Frontier when small Fords were no longer available, had it until the new Ranger
truck0002.JPG

Last edited:

ParkerAzJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ranger 2019 Ranger
My Oldie but Goodie.

1989 with swapped in 4.0 and M5OD 5 speed.

Thunderbird TurboCoupe seats (they bolted right in!), 6" lift and 33" tires.

Fun truck. Should have kept it.

IMGP0929.JPG

Rangerlift_6inch_33s_example.JPG
There's nothing like an old school Ranger with a good 6" lift & 33" BFG's. Gotta love them.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

A few more of my old Rangers.....

Lime Rock Con 5_1.jpg

1986 Ranger "race truck" which started the SCCA Professional Series

My Test Mule_1.jpg

My SCCA Racetruck development Test Mule. Still the Record holder at the Ford Handling Track!

SHORanger_1.jpg

The SHO Ranger...Great fun! This truck was an absolute Rocket.
What engines did these have?
Record holder for Rangers, trucks, or anything?
Any word on why the Ranger never got the 5.0/4.6 like the Explorer did? Seems like that would have sold well, at least to the crowd here; maybe not for Jim's Pest Control. Lol

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What engines did these have?
Record holder for Rangers, trucks, or anything?
Any word on why the Ranger never got the 5.0/4.6 like the Explorer did? Seems like that would have sold well, at least to the crowd here; maybe not for Jim's Pest Control. Lol
Hi Daniel,

Okay. Handling track record for any Light truck. Handling track is dismantled, so the record stands...fastest truck ever on the handling course. Fastest was the Beniton Formula 1 car prior to the Detroit GP. I was there at the track with my Ranger for the press to drive...Scared a bunch of the "Automotive Press" with their ride in the Ranger. ?

Lime Rock Rangers...No 77 shown with me behind the wheel were 4.0 l M5OD stock powertrain with modified suspension for racing.

My test mule....2.8L tall deck 2.3L Lima 4 cylinder built by SVO and cranking out around 180 Hp on racing 102 fuel. ( reason was to push the handling to the next level) Our work culminated in the Manufaturers and Drives Championship in 1991. A lot of hard work, but I just donated the Trophy to the La May Museum in Washington, a memento I hated to give up , but if I die tomorrow, it is where it should be instead in a dumpster outside of my house...
IMG_8813.JPG

The SHO Ranger was built at Roush by Paul W. where we stuffed a SHO Taurus motor into the Ranger. I did the suspension and this truck handled well, not to the degree of my test mule but I made it streetable...or almost streetable. Engine Engineering removed the rev limiter so I could twist it to just a tad over 10,000 rpm. It was coupled with a M5OD and a 4:10 rear gear....Goodyear shaved tires of a compound that you could not get as a customer... Ford Public Affairs scheduled many drives with the Press and when they donned their helmets, I told them to hang on and they got the ride of a life time for many of them....Even the Car&Drover and Road&Track gave us accolades. I hated sending this Ranger to the crusher....but such is life at Ford and things move on. SHO Ranger was a go production project, but Marketing required Air Conditioning and this darn XR50 steering gear was in the way so no can do and Marketing pulled the plug.... If only we had waited until Ranger went SLA and Rack and Pinion steering we would have the most Kick Ass Ranger Ever....Sigh...

OP
OP
ISUACE

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Daniel,

Okay. Handling track record for any Light truck. Handling track is dismantled, so the record stands...fastest truck ever on the handling course. Fastest was the Beniton Formula 1 car prior to the Detroit GP. I was there at the track with my Ranger for the press to drive...Scared a bunch of the "Automotive Press" with their ride in the Ranger. ?

Lime Rock Rangers...No 77 shown with me behind the wheel were 4.0 l M5OD stock powertrain with modified suspension for racing.

My test mule....2.8L tall deck 2.3L Lima 4 cylinder built by SVO and cranking out around 180 Hp on racing 102 fuel. ( reason was to push the handling to the next level) Our work culminated in the Manufaturers and Drives Championship in 1991. A lot of hard work, but I just donated the Trophy to the La May Museum in Washington, a memento I hated to give up , but if I die tomorrow, it is where it should be instead in a dumpster outside of my house...
IMG_8813.JPG

The SHO Ranger was built at Roush by Paul W. where we stuffed a SHO Taurus motor into the Ranger. I did the suspension and this truck handled well, not to the degree of my test mule but I made it streetable...or almost streetable. Engine Engineering removed the rev limiter so I could twist it to just a tad over 10,000 rpm. It was coupled with a M5OD and a 4:10 rear gear....Goodyear shaved tires of a compound that you could not get as a customer... Ford Public Affairs scheduled many drives with the Press and when they donned their helmets, I told them to hang on and they got the ride of a life time for many of them....Even the Car&Drover and Road&Track gave us accolades. I hated sending this Ranger to the crusher....but such is life at Ford and things move on. SHO Ranger was a go production project, but Marketing required Air Conditioning and this darn XR50 steering gear was in the way so no can do and Marketing pulled the plug.... If only we had waited until Ranger went SLA and Rack and Pinion steering we would have the most Kick Ass Ranger Ever....Sigh...
https://www.therangerstation.com/resources/ford_sho_ranger.shtml

Here is the rangerstation link for the SHO Ranger... 5.0L V8 transplants are pretty common, I wonder how many people did that SHO engine swap?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.therangerstation.com/resources/ford_sho_ranger.shtml

Here is the rangerstation link for the SHO Ranger... 5.0L V8 transplants are pretty common, I wonder how many people did that SHO engine swap?
Hey! Cody

Thanks for the link to this article...I will archive it ..... Good Ol' Woody....always short on details. I did the suspension under the Light Truck Motorsports banner....At the time it was SVO for the "racing arm of Ford". No biggie and Woody was wrong...we put a 4:10 in the 8.8 rear end. What would happen was Woody would call and I had a EEC IV processor that I would swap out to put the rev limiter and somewhat detune the motor for the press. All the suspension except for the shocks were production parts but not parts released for Ranger but were from the Explorer. Example" the 1" stablizer bar and bushings were Explorer. When I got the vehicle from Roush, I put the brakes on showing it to the Press...so I went to the closet where I had extra pieces. I only had a week to get the suspension in order, and it was done after hours as I had a day job too.

One memorable two day event was when I took the SHO down to Purdue University where I had an advanced project to investigate "active engine mounts". The Professor, John S. taught courses in vehicle dynamics as well as supporting this advanced project. John made arrangements with the University Police to allow the SHO to park outside the Mechanical Engineering building on the sidewalk. Hood was open and the students poured over the truck..great stuff, but the weird thing was on the drive back to Ford...I got pulled over by Indiana State Police three times. I was not speeding but the officers just wanted to see the truck and admitted as such. First stop the officer radioed to others and so it was. I had to get out, pop the hood, explain and get back in. When I crossed the boarder into Michigan on I69, I was glad the Michigan State Police left me alone... At the end of its useful life, I was able to take it home at night and give the neighbors rides in it. The neighbors though I had the coolest job in the world, and you know...reflecting back on it...I probably did!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I don't have any pictures of my first Ranger anymore. It was a 1983 XLT regular cab, two tone brown and tan with dual fuel tanks. I wish I still had that truck. I could go forever and a day with the duel tanks. I still have a 1996 green extended cab Ranger sitting in the driveway that I need to do something with. Night and day difference between the 96 and the 2020 Ranger.

11 r150

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 ranger 2018 focus eco 2012 fusion 2013 silverwing
Don't have pictures, but can list in order of purchase. 85 reg cab short box 4x4. 2.8 v6 5speed. 87 Ranger S. 2.0 4 cyl 5speed. I actually pulled snowmobiles w/ this one. Made for long trips but always got there. 96 S/Cab 4x4.3.0 v6. A little under powered but dependable. 2000 S/Cab 4x4 4.0 v6 XLT. Worked @ dealership then. Told my boss, just check all the boxes. Sticker was over 25K back then. 97 XLT reg cab short box 2.3 5 speed. Was dk green W/ tan interior. this is the truck that showed that Deer dont pay their insurance premiums. Shoved dog house on top of engine. deer ran away. 98 reg cab short box 3.0 v6 auto trans. Bought a 2500 lbs camper & knew on the trip home a different truck was needed. 2011 S/Cab 4.0 v6 XLT. Dependable & good power. Pulled camper fine & a ton of pellets to heat the house no problem. That leaves my 1 week old purchase. Its an XL S/Cab STX FX2 W/ trailer tow & rear seat delete. also factory mud guards. Each one has had good & bad points, but I don"t regret buying any of them.

dalerenbjor

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2002 Ford Ranger Edge
Occupation
Senior Technician Video
This Yellow Gem was a Father's Day gift from my Daughter. She was stationed at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico and found it at a used car lot near the base. It was originally new from Albuquerque and spent it's life in the desert. Shipped it to the west coast of Florida, now it fights the salt air off of Tampa Bay. All those rock chips on the front bumper were black when the truck arrived now they're rust colored. Great Little Truck. Just hanging with the 2019 Lariat after a bath. Love my Rangers!
2002 Flair side Edge 3.0 extended cab

20200702_172703.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: