MAGNETIC Ranger Club Thread

Mires

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Looks like the Ranger did a little bit better than the Taco, but mpg was very disappointing.
It usually takes several thousand miles of break-in time to see peak fuel mileage. I wouldn't worry too much about what reviewers are reporting just yet.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the Ranger did a little bit better than the Taco, but mpg was very disappointing.
Quoting from the article: "we are comfortable saying that the Ranger was the clear winner of this competition. It looks like Ford's time away from the mid-size class in the U.S. didn't prevent it from making a high-quality entrant in its return."

So that sounds like more than "a little bit better". And for the mileage - they used a gas pump as the determining factor, and I don't think that is horribly accurate - even if it is, 21.3 MPG for mixed city/highway driving with hills is not bad at all in my opinion.

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
Occupation
Collision Repair Estimator
Quoting from the article: "we are comfortable saying that the Ranger was the clear winner of this competition. It looks like Ford's time away from the mid-size class in the U.S. didn't prevent it from making a high-quality entrant in its return."

So that sounds like more than "a little bit better". And for the mileage - they used a gas pump as the determining factor, and I don't think that is horribly accurate - even if it is, 21.3 MPG for mixed city/highway driving with hills is not bad at all in my opinion.
Sorry, I'm not about to drink the koolaid and believe everything they say. Read what they actually write about for performance and the other measurables. Considering Ford has had years to develop and update the Ranger, all the while knowing who the competition is, I expected better.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I'm not about to drink the koolaid and believe everything they say. Read what they actually write about for performance and the other measurables. Considering Ford has had years to develop and update the Ranger, all the while knowing who the competition is, I expected better.
I've read the entire review and I'm not seeing what you see. More quotes directly from the article specifically about performance:
"The more I drive the Ranger, the more I'm surprised at how powerful the four-cylinder feels, especially when you knock the shift lever down into Sport mode; the revs stay up, throttle response gets more sensitive, and when you want to jump into or out of traffic, you practically just think and it happens. Of course, transmission mapping is the key here and obviously the Ford engineers understood this mid-size class is suffering, with no one providing a real sport player. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the new Ranger is pretty light. I also like that it offers a separate Sport mode and Tow/Haul setting"

And then this:
"The Ranger's powertrain makes it a legitimately fun truck to drive around, even in town. Whether it's in Drive or Sport, the engine is eager to rev and quick to get into the power, and that's in stark contrast to the Toyota's V-6, which needs to be poked and prodded."

What specfically are the "other measurables" you read in the article? I thought it was an EXTREMELY favorable review.

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've read the entire review and I'm not seeing what you see. More quotes directly from the article specifically about performance:
"The more I drive the Ranger, the more I'm surprised at how powerful the four-cylinder feels, especially when you knock the shift lever down into Sport mode; the revs stay up, throttle response gets more sensitive, and when you want to jump into or out of traffic, you practically just think and it happens. Of course, transmission mapping is the key here and obviously the Ford engineers understood this mid-size class is suffering, with no one providing a real sport player. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the new Ranger is pretty light. I also like that it offers a separate Sport mode and Tow/Haul setting"

And then this:
"The Ranger's powertrain makes it a legitimately fun truck to drive around, even in town. Whether it's in Drive or Sport, the engine is eager to rev and quick to get into the power, and that's in stark contrast to the Toyota's V-6, which needs to be poked and prodded."

What specfically are the "other measurables" you read in the article? I thought it was an EXTREMELY favorable review.
Yes, those are favorable comments that I am happy to see. Historically the reason a "mid-size" truck has been chosen was for a smaller footprint based on needs, whether that meant narrower parking spaces or less cargo, towing or people.

I believe the major reason that the smaller trucks have been chosen was economics. This could be considered the initial purchase cost, fuel efficiency or maybe cost of ownership when maintenance, insurance and longevity are considered.

All of the manufacturers have struck out when it comes to purchase price and fuel economy. The difference between a full size version with incentives and the newly released Ranger isn't that great when looking at the big picture of finance terms and payments. Fuel economy isn't that different either. What is the difference between a Ranger 4x4 and a 2.7l F150 4x4? A couple miles per gallon? What does that equate to at 15,000 miles per year? A couple hundred bucks at $3 per gallon. Or $20/month.
I wonder how much better fuel mileage the Ranger would get with the 2.7l EcoBoost? Even a slightly smaller 2.5 liter V6 EcoBoost? What if the Ranger had been a couple hundred (or more) pounds lighter?

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
All the reviews I've seen have pretty much read like the Ranger is the true second coming of Jesus in the midsized segment and every review has made me excited for it. I don't see anything shown in any review that leads to disappointment or Ford not intending this truck to be the sales leader.

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That's ok. It probably does everything that you need it to. None of the other mid-sized trucks had me even thinking about them. The Ranger has, but at this time I am still leaning to a F150 SuperCab. I still need to drive a Ranger and see what a truck with my pricing will be. Lots of time before I make a decision.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's ok. It probably does everything that you need it to. None of the other mid-sized trucks had me even thinking about them. The Ranger has, but at this time I am still leaning to a F150 SuperCab. I still need to drive a Ranger and see what a truck with my pricing will be. Lots of time before I make a decision.
I have to agree with you on the pricing for sure, but the pricing does not seem too out of line with other mid sized trucks. I see why they want to make them - they will be making a LOT of money on them. It will be interesting to see if the pricing model stays or if big discounts (like you can get on F-150s periodically) will come into play.

It would be interesting to see what the 2.7 EcoBoost would have done as an option - on the F-150 4x4, which seems to be about 400 pounds heavier, the mileage is almost the same as the 2.3 on the Ranger (19/24/21). Wonder if that would have translated to the same mileage (or better) with more HP and Torque? You'd think they would have thought about that though - maybe there is some other tradeoff on the 2.7?.

You are right about the MPG too - a couple MPG doesn't really make too much difference. When I was looking that was a big deal, but when I started looking at the numbers and how much it would cost, it really didn't matter too much. But then i look at the EPA mileage for my existing truck - a 2005 Ranger - 14/17 - the 2019 numbers are almost a 50% improvement, so that is pretty significant.

For me, and how I use my truck a full size just doesn't work, otherwise I probably would get an F-150 as well.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
fd2019rangersupercrew77182445.jpg

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_1897.jpg

echosummit

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Two dealership videos recently posted of a magnetic Lariat Sport 4WD (which seems to have the FX4 package based on it having the terrain management dial, but has the Sport decal? not sure which package decal typically takes precedence).

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Two dealership videos recently posted of a magnetic Lariat Sport 4WD (which seems to have the FX4 package based on it having the terrain management dial, but has the Sport decal? not sure which package decal typically takes precedence).

From what I can tell, FX4 takes priority, then Sport and then finally 4x4.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Heres my Magnetic Lariat Sport, no FX4 package but Im pretty sure it had the "trail control" button, which I thought was fx4 specific. I pick it up tomorrow so I,ll check.

49727961_10156424803550141_3565590258961612800_o.jpg
Sponsored