Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford White Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase
I decided I did not want to spend $109 on MaxTrax mounts, so I'm fabbing some up myself. They're a work in progress, but I'm happy with 'em so far. A full write-up to follow soon.

Trax1.JPG

Trax2.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase
One of the reasons I got a Yakima Outpost rack was to hand a few Rotopax gas containers off of the left side side-bar. The two photos below reveal what happened when I test-fit the 4.5 Gal. Rotopax on the sidebar of my rack.

Roto.jpg

Roto00.jpg

Love how the Outpost rack sits well below the roofline. : ) Hate how its diminutive size prohibits a Rotopax mount. : (

Time for Plan-B. I purchased a Roof Rack from a local vendor. I mounted it in an unorthodox way - that is I didn't mount it on top of the crossbars of my roof rack, but rather ran the cross arms of the rack through the side of the black roof rack in order to keep is as low as possible. U-bolts hold the rack in place nicely.
As it turns out, I used all the hardware I intended to use to mount the gas can on the Yakima rack to mount in to the floor of the roof rack. The fit is perfect. I'll add pictures of the fabricated roof mount if anyone wished to see it.

Roto1.jpg

Roto2.jpg

Roto3.jpg

Last edited:

Ranger 4 Play

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
One of the reasons I got a Yakima Outpost rack was to hand a few Rotopax gas containers off of the left side side-bar. The two photos below reveal what happened when I test-fit the 4.5 Gal. Rotopax on the sidebar of my rack.

Roto.jpg

Roto00.jpg
Are you planning to run a RTT? If so you could mount the tent off center. Or switch out the outpost towers for the overhaul ones. Excited to see the rest of the build!

OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase
Are you planning to run a RTT? If so you could mount the tent off center. Or switch out the outpost towers for the overhaul ones. Excited to see the rest of the build!
Yes, I do intend to mount a RTT next week for a test-fit. That's not a bad idea @Ranger4play. I kind of like the look of the gas mount on the roof, though. I will give it a try, though and let you know how it fit.

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
The intrusion beam issue having been dealt with, it was time to haul the wheels and tires to my favorite local tire shop (WTW in Miami Lakes) and mount these bad boys! A short trip to Home Depot to kill some time, then Chick-fil-a for some well earned lunch and it was back to WTW. Note the roof rack I installed. More about that later. I think the tires and bronze wheels look great. I love the fact that with the FUEL wheels, those wider BFGs don't stick out more than an inch from the fender wells. On those narrow Colorado shelf trails, I'll need all the passing clearance I can get!

Note that in the first picture after the array of truck and tire shots is a close-up of the amount of clearance between the front of the driver's tire and that plastic air-dam thingy. I bring that up because when I reversed at full lock, the bigger BFGs rubbed on the bottom of the air dam, making a rather horrendous sound. Needless to say, I trimmed them sufficiently to eliminate that cacophony. A few pics of the clearance between the tires and the new BDS beams are also included.

tires.jpg

WTW.jpg

wheels 1.jpg

wheels 2.jpg

wheels right.jpg

wheels side.jpg

air dam.jpg

bds clear.jpg

front clear.jpg
In this post, this looks like its before your Fox leveling kit, correct?

OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase
In this post, this looks like its before your Fox leveling kit, correct?
Yes, correct. I did the tires first, knowing from others on this board that it would be driveable until I did the lift a month or so later.

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I'll add pictures of the fabricated roof mount if anyone wished to see it.

Very interested to see pics of the roof mounts you created. Thanks

OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase

I'll have them by tomorrow (Monday 5/18 ) afternoon, :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase

As promised:
Photo 1: Here's the clearance between the roof and the rack. Note the Rotopax mount bolts don't protrude too badly below the bottom of the rack itself.

Photo 2: Here is the alignment/mounting locations of the two Rotopax locks. Note that the bottom piece upon which the locks sit is the Yakima Rotopax base I was going to use on the Outpost rack. It fits the lateral arms of the rack base like it was made for them.

Photo 3: As you can see here, I mounted the rack by placing the arms of my existing roof rack through 2 of the openings of the black roof rack. Held it together firmly with U-bolts from Home Depot. Painted black ( mostly painted, that is...I'll finish this weekend). This is the front arm.

Photo 4: Here is the rear rack mount similarly attached.

It's solid as a rock.

Next Project: Aluminum fairings to better deflect the air over the rack and my RTT.

rack1.jpg

Rack2.jpg

Rack3.jpg

Rack4.jpg

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Definitely going to keep an eye this build. Have a similar truck and plans for mine.

Another U fan is always a plus too. :beer:

OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase
? On this Memorial Day 2020, prayers for all those brave men and women who lost their lives or loved ones defending this great country.

Extremely rainy and gloomy Memorial Day down here in SoFlo. I was going to wax the Ranger, but that's out of the question. So, I decided to remove my factory side steps in anticipation of my Shrockworks Rock Sliders arrival tomorrow afternoon. Gotta admit, she looks naked without them. ?. Install pics to follow mid-week.

I'll merely be posting before and after pics because the absolute BEST Shockworks Rock Slider install tutorial was already posted by @HenryMac.

NoSteps1.jpg

NoSteps2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely going to keep an eye this build. Have a similar truck and plans for mine.

Another U fan is always a plus too. :beer:
Thanks, VoodooRanger. It's all about that U!!!

RngrRegmnt586

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Fx4
Awesome looking rig. 4xranger on instagram has a VERY similar looking rig. Following....
Sponsored