Fake engine sounds?

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Was watching the TFL early impression and at around 6:36 you can hear a deep growling sound and the guy comments on it saying it is probably a fake sound which is then verified by the Ford guy in the truck.

Is that on all trim levels or just some with certain audio options? If It is on mine, it'll be the first thing I get switched off.
Sponsored

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
IDK about which trim levels on Rangers, but I know they do it on the F-150s. They found truck buyers overall wanted to hear engine noise when they step on the gas. It's kind of a dirty little secret that most people don't know about.

I suspect it will be on all trim levels.

OP
OP
mike

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Interesting. I wonder if it is hearing engine noise or hearing the *right* engine noises. i.e. trying to mask the 4 cyl/turbo sounds. I've had all manner of 4,6,and 8 cylinder gas/diesel cars over the years. Currently, the bar is set about as low as it can go with our Nissan Rogue S (4 cyl, CVT) that my wife and I currently share. I'd still rather just hear the real sound of that boring combination than a fake engine soundtrack. I saw some threads on the F-150 forum and if mine has that on delivery, I'll see about getting the service guy to turn it off.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Interesting. I wonder if it is hearing engine noise or hearing the *right* engine noises. i.e. trying to mask the 4 cyl/turbo sounds. I've had all manner of 4,6,and 8 cylinder gas/diesel cars over the years. Currently, the bar is set about as low as it can go with our Nissan Rogue S (4 cyl, CVT) that my wife and I currently share. I'd still rather just hear the real sound of that boring combination than a fake engine soundtrack. I saw some threads on the F-150 forum and if mine has that on delivery, I'll see about getting the service guy to turn it off.
I like to hear the engine that is in it no matter what it sounds like. Once you get used to it, you can identify problems early and get them fixed.

Last edited:

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is that they’ve done so much work to soundproof the bottom of the cab and firewall from road noise that they have effectively muted most of the sound from the engine, taking away that audio feedback that some people love or require. That soundproofing is great while cruising but without audible cues from the engine, people have problems determining if they’re getting the desired result when they press on the accelerator. My sister-in-law got her first ever ticket recently doing 95 in a 65 while driving a Ford Fusion Energi under full electric power; she had no idea she was going that fast, she said that the wind noise around the cabin wasn’t perceptively higher and that she’d only taken her eyes off the speedometer for less than 10 secs while cruising briefly with the cruise control off. People are overly confident in their seat-of-their-pants ability to determine acceleration.

This last part I’m unsure about. I think they take actual sounds from each engine model and “refine” them to be pushed through the speaker system in an accurate and linear manner. The sound itself provides feedback but also is combined with a white noise to further drown out drivetrain noise.

Speaking from experience on my ‘15 Edge Sport, when you are 50% or more deflection on the accelerator, the vehicle becomes incredibly quiet. The only thing you can hear is the “refined” engine soundtrack. I find it very pleasant, even it is partially synthetic.

Last edited:

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
My 13 mustang GTCS had the induction sound tube that connected to the cabin around the drivers side footwell. It was intended to introduce more engine feedback to the driver. Similar end result as the audio played in the cabin.

LoneStarFlatLanders

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si - Sold my current car and waiting patiently on my new truck
Luxury automaker on their sport models do the same thing. Drives me crazy.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
My Fiesta ST has the same thing. It isn't a fake noise, but it is a tube with a special filter that pipes some of the induction noise back into the cabin. When you are on the rpms, you can hear the engine rev and the turbo a bit as well as the blowoff after letting off it. It doesn't sound bad, it just gives you a nice soundtrack when you have your radio off and just want to enjoy the drive.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Can’t be all bad Porsche does it.

One Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
family fleet of 4

skibuff

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Escape / 2019 Ford Ranger XLT Lighting Blue

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Here's an example of the fake noise being played in the RS with the engine off. The boys over at COBB figured out how to play them at will. BTW, in the RS, to get rid of it, its as easy as unplugging a box in the trunk. Its not from the actual engine, its all fake.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
In the Fiesta ST you have to physically remove a box and tubing and get an aftermarket delete kit to plug up the holes and block the noises from passing into the cabin.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I disabled it on my RS. Probably will on Ranger as well. No need to compete with music. However a little turbo sound is a different story.

Tomsriv

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Magnum RT (345 V8), 1971 Buick Riviera (455 V8)
On the Mustangs you just pull a fuse. I believe it will probably be the same on the Ranger. I think it sounds better with it. It just adds some bass to the tone.
Sponsored