Dash cam thread? Dash cam thread.

ztbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT w/ FX4, tow package, spary-in bed liner.
This was me in San Antonio a few days ago. They merged across 2 lanes illegally and crossed a double white line.

Post your Dash-Cam-Captured morons.
Sponsored

2020FX4

First Name
El Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, That's a good one.... I see this kinda stuff ALL DAY LONG here in L.A.

Great idea for a thread....

I just purchased a crosstour dash cam and can't wait to get it up and running.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Ha! I saw that in Reddit before here.
I’ve got a cheap Black Box G1W that I’ve had for many years. Already saved me thousands.

Here’s one from when I owned my Focus a few years ago. Inches from a head-on collision. Only tore my side mirror off and scuffed up the side of my car. Person wasn’t paying attention (texting) and didn’t see the car stop in front of them and swerved into oncoming traffic (ie. me)

Still cost a few thousand in repairs because they had to repaint the entire side of my car.

focus-mirror.jpg

focus-drivers-door.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

ztbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ha! I saw that in Reddit before here.
I’ve got a cheap Black Box G1W that I’ve had for many years. Already saved me thousands.

Here’s one from when I owned my Focus a few years ago. Inches from a head-on collision. Only tore my side mirror off and scuffed up the side of my car. Person wasn’t paying attention (texting) and didn’t see the car stop in front of them and swerved into oncoming traffic (ie. me)

Still cost a few thousand in repairs because they had to repaint the entire side of my car.
... How did texting make that idiot swerve sharply into oncoming traffic out of no where? It doesn't look like they were about to hit the car in front of them. Seems like they could have easily stopped in time.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I bought an AUKEY camera for around $40 Works like a charm.
Before anyone asks, I don' t have a rear camera and don't feel the need. If somebody rear-ends meWhile I'm driving or at a light, the front camera will indicate that
screenshot-www.amazon.com-2020.03.02-16_31_43.png

unnamed (4039).jpg

Last edited:

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
OH, I've got some good ones! Let's start here.

This guy rear ended me and ran. It seems like such a small hit, but he broke some brackets that required replacing as well as the bumper cover. Still waiting for insurance to get money out of him so I get my deductible back (when it does, it would have more than paid for the 2ch setup I have).

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
And my own screwup before I got rid of the mustang. Trying to get up to speed to get on the highway, merging here is always terrible because CA drivers are entitled, and as I get up to speed a puddle at the end of the on-ramp catches the back tires just right...Just about needed a new pair of pants.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I've tried a few and the issue here in AZ is that in the summer, they literally melt off the windshield. I've lost two cameras in the $50 to $100 range. Can anyone recommend one that is durable (heat wise) but still affordably disposable?

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
... How did texting make that idiot swerve sharply into oncoming traffic out of no where? It doesn't look like they were about to hit the car in front of them. Seems like they could have easily stopped in time.
When you are looking down texting and look up to suddenly see the rear end of a Tesla where you did not expect it to be and rapidly coming closer you tend to do stupid things, like drive into oncoming traffic.

OP
OP

ztbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've tried a few and the issue here in AZ is that in the summer, they literally melt off the windshield. I've lost two cameras in the $50 to $100 range. Can anyone recommend one that is durable (heat wise) but still affordably disposable?

I'm in San Antonio (obviously, from the other post, and the profile to the left of each post, and...). It doesn't get as hot here but it does get bad. Had about a month and a half last year where 101-104 was the norm. Not quite AZ, but hotter than most other parts of the U.S.

1. Always get the capacitor model. The battery models tend to catch fire in high-temp environments.

2a. Don't use suction cup camera mounts. Get the kind that has an actual command-strip adhesive mount. If it ever fails (mine never have) you can just buy a pack of command strips at walmart and use those to remount it.

2b. When the command strip styles still fail, some people report success replacing the command strip adhesive with velcro strips.

3. Always use the high-endurance micro SD cards. It's not a scam; when data chips are made there's some manufacturing side-affects that make chips towards the ends of the silicon wafer (citation) fail much earlier and under far less strain. The shitty ones are what you usually get in cheapo supermarket USB sticks and super cheap SD cards.

I have the Rexing V1 supercapacitor in mine. It survived 2 summers in my black Escape and I bought another one for my black Ranger.

Last edited:

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
Wow. We've all heard about Capt Obvious, right? Well meet Capt Oblivious driving that car.
images (1).jpg
Hard to tell, female driver, probably high school age. distracted driving is a pet peeve of mine, my drivers at FedEx were sick of me harping on it in pre work meetings.

2020FX4

First Name
El Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, That's a good one.... I see this kinda stuff ALL DAY LONG here in L.A.

Great idea for a thread....

I just purchased a crosstour dash cam and can't wait to get it up and running.

The crosstour dash cam I got from amazon was complete junk. It's a bummer because I like it's size, how it mounted, and that it had a rear camera as well. It had a lot of decent reviews and maybe I just got a bad one?

I returned it and haven't found a replacement yet.

Ryandude2448

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't save ALL the dumb stuff I see on the road. Within the first month of purchasing the truck, I installed and had to use the cam for insurance purposes.
But I did this today. Stock, but getting lifted on Tuesday and getting bigger (and A/T) tires around summer time.
Sponsored