Anybody else experiencing bed rust?

Used Piston

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X2 Super Cab
I purchased my Ranger in November 2019 and noticing rust at the leading edge of my tuck bed where it meets the bulkhead at the cab. It's alarming as I live inland in Northern California and we have not had much rain this year. Up till now I have not hauled much of anything other than a motorcycle and some ice chests. I do have a Ford bed mat but it should not be an issue. Anybody else have this same issue?

I've added a few photos, taken today 3/4/2020 Before I took the photos I vacuumed, washed and air hosed the area. You can see the rust flakes on my magnet. If you look close, you can see rust coming up from under the paint further into the bed. It has not rained since my first post but the rust is getting worse.

5068E266-35B8-4687-8E77-318BE3417591.jpeg

92DE385D-44F8-4D37-9A60-F103F38BF91C.jpeg

25F5B16D-A13C-4D89-94EC-570CC1965A3D.jpeg

4427EC3F-7D17-4D46-BB62-72EB13E59C4B.jpeg

D7F10EBD-D35E-484B-863A-56EE8C537E02.jpeg

0B135D20-A288-4A75-9B06-D27FC8853DEB.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I purchased my Ranger in November 2019 and noticing rust at the leading edge of my tuck bed where it meets the bulkhead at the cab. It's alarming as I live inland in Northern California and we have not had much rain this year. Up till now I have not hauled much of anything other than a motorcycle and some ice chests. I do have a Ford bed mat but it should not be an issue. Anybody else have this same issue?
Pics or it didn't happen.

I live in mid Michigan where there's salt everywhere. I don't have rust on anything yet, so I suspect it's leftover rail dust you're seeing, or you have a paint flaw.

tbirdz12

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Whats rust?

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
None yet , I use the bed a lot, and have several deep scratches since summer they haven’t rusted yet .

image.jpg

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
My 2019 was delivered in March 2019 and I had to remove the drop in bed liner to install the bed light kit. When I removed the liner, there were several rust spots underneath it. It came from the factor like that., as the light kit was installed only a few months after I got the truck. I live in California and it hadn't rained much at all. I was disappointed to see those rust spots with such a new truck. It must have been wet in the bed when they installed the liner, very lame. I had to clean that all up before reinstalling the liner. If you have a drop in, it's worth pulling it out and checking yours.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My 2019 was delivered in March 2019 and I had to remove the drop in bed liner to install the bed light kit. When I removed the liner, there were several rust spots underneath it. It came from the factor like that., as the light kit was installed only a few months after I got the truck. I live in California and it hadn't rained much at all. I was disappointed to see those rust spots with such a new truck. It must have been wet in the bed when they installed the liner, very lame. I had to clean that all up before reinstalling the liner. If you have a drop in, it's worth pulling it out and checking yours.
Definitely don't remove the bedliner again. It's going to be a rusty paint free mess under there in like 1 month. The bedliner wiggles around and scrapes the paint off several spots. It's going to get surface rust almost immediately, but further wiggling should keep it from penetrating the surface of the metal and rusting through.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
None on mine yet (7/2019 purchase w May build) Mine sits in the driveway 90% of the time getting dumped on during our rainy season but no rust yet.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Definitely don't remove the bedliner again. It's going to be a rusty paint free mess under there in like 1 month. The bedliner wiggles around and scrapes the paint off several spots. It's going to get surface rust almost immediately, but further wiggling should keep it from penetrating the surface of the metal and rusting through.
100% agree. It's amazing how drop-in bed liners scratch the bed. Had one in my first F150 and when I had it removed to install Linex, the installer called me in the shop to show me how bad it was. Truck was 2 months old.

Never again.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
100% agree. It's amazing how drop-in bed liners scratch the bed. Had one in my first F150 and when I had it removed to install Linex, the installer called me in the shop to show me how bad it was. Truck was 2 months old.

Never again.
Same. My Ranger had a line-x which was great. My F-150 was a drop in and I never took it off, but always missed the line-x every day.
Sponsored