Pivot Storage Box - Ford Accessories??

RobertU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2001 Ford Ranger XLT
Does anyone know what the 4 slide in notches on the bottom exterior of the cases are for? Do they have any use or is it just for looks?
I had the same question when I bought and installed mine. I called Swingcase and asked. The notches are just for looks.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
No, it fits with a drop in liner. Minor clearance cuts around the bolt holes is all that is required!
Would you mind posting some pics of where/how you trimmed your liner? This would be a great help for the rest of us who have liners and thinking about installing this box...:like::)

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Would you mind posting some pics of where/how you trimmed your liner? This would be a great help for the rest of us who have liners and thinking about installing this box...:like::)
I don't have a liner. There was a post about it and the guy posted the clearance cuts he had to make to get the holes to line up.

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
I don't have a liner. There was a post about it and the guy posted the clearance cuts he had to make to get the holes to line up.
I added a .25x6x12 plate to extend the bracket and moved the swing bracket in over the catch point in the liner. Poor engineering on the manufacturer when an additional inch on the original bracket would have solved the entire problem. To avoid any issues with the catch bracket i just added some chain link in place of the catch bracket and let the link fall over the release. To adjust for the weight supported on the catch bracked- just put a 2x6 underneath the box and sit it on top. It's a bit of a nuisance to loop the cable over the release but it's better than not- just leave enough for your arm to reach around the box to grab the release post.

swampchomp07

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Has anyone with two of these boxes attempted to get the same lock for both so you're not having to carry around two keys and remember which key goes to which box?

Deleted member 1634

Can anyone give me a measurement from the bedrail down to the top of the box? Just wondering what kind of clearance there is between the top of the box and the top of the bed.

svogt302

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
On the Ford drop-in there does appear to be "cutouts" in a sort of Y shape near where the boxes would go, so I was hoping that maybe that was to make it possible to install them. It looks like some cutting is required for the brackets at the very least.
Actually quite a bit of cutting on the drop-in...
More concerned about my tri-fold Ford cover. The latch looks like it will be in the way.

svogt302

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I added a .25x6x12 plate to extend the bracket and moved the swing bracket in over the catch point in the liner. Poor engineering on the manufacturer when an additional inch on the original bracket would have solved the entire problem. To avoid any issues with the catch bracket i just added some chain link in place of the catch bracket and let the link fall over the release. To adjust for the weight supported on the catch bracked- just put a 2x6 underneath the box and sit it on top. It's a bit of a nuisance to loop the cable over the release but it's better than not- just leave enough for your arm to reach around the box to grab the release post.
Is this for installing with the drop in bedliner?

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, i hated having to cut the bedliner to install the pivot box over the drop in bedliner, instead the box can be mounted to a plate that is on the same screw locations, you have to use the pivot bracket as a drill guide. The latch bar to the back pretty much is not usable once you extend the support bracket and you need to rig something that achieves the same results... i used a simple light chain and a 2x4, The chain on the handles and a board underneath- to pivot you lift up and then it pivots, i believe there's about an 1.5" underneath the pivot box and the 2x4 rests nicely removing the strain on the assembly when not in the swing position, it's a bit of a rube goldberg but it works. i havent spent the time to figure out how to rework the back bar yet, it would require some serious re-manufacturing to do something similar. About the only loss in features is the ability to lock the swing box with lock onto the locking bracket.

svogt302

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Yes, i hated having to cut the bedliner to install the pivot box over the drop in bedliner, instead the box can be mounted to a plate that is on the same screw locations, you have to use the pivot bracket as a drill guide. The latch bar to the back pretty much is not usable once you extend the support bracket and you need to rig something that achieves the same results... i used a simple light chain and a 2x4, The chain on the handles and a board underneath- to pivot you lift up and then it pivots, i believe there's about an 1.5" underneath the pivot box and the 2x4 rests nicely removing the strain on the assembly when not in the swing position, it's a bit of a rube goldberg but it works. i havent spent the time to figure out how to rework the back bar yet, it would require some serious re-manufacturing to do something similar. About the only loss in features is the ability to lock the swing box with lock onto the locking bracket.
OK, so you bolted the original bracket to a plate to extend it approx an inch or so... Did you use anything special or just a piece of stock?
Thank you for the info as it looks like I'd have to cut a large piece out of the liner to install their way.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Would you mind taking some pictures of your setup? I have held off installing mine due to the messy situation with having a bed liner too...:frown:

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, so you bolted the original bracket to a plate to extend it approx an inch or so... Did you use anything special or just a piece of stock?
Thank you for the info as it looks like I'd have to cut a large piece out of the liner to install their way.
i went with a piece of stock, 1/4" aluminum 6x12 and extended about 4" past the holes- that removed the bracket in the back- i didnt attempt at about an inch though i feel that would work with the orginal back bracket but didnt want to mess with the rest.
Would you mind taking some pictures of your setup? I have held off installing mine due to the messy situation with having a bed liner too...:frown:
20200228_155257.jpg

20200228_155336.jpg

20200228_155405.jpg

20200228_155528.jpg

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not sure if i will try the back bracket or not at this time. I didnt want to mess with trying to fit that support bracket around the liner. If i get unhappy with looping the chain around the end of that pull... I might take a look at moving the box closer back on the piece of aluminum.
Sponsored