So I Got Tired Of My Phone Cable Being In The Way...

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
yup definitely copying this it's genius. The little area down by the usb ports is so stupid they could have done the storage on this truck much better. I do like the little spot on the dash though even though a bigger one with a hatch would be better.
Sponsored

Dusting_for_vomit

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I routed the cable behind the dash so it's no longer in the way. Comes out behind the phone for easy connect.

49557141357_56bb7916d8_b.jpg

Poke it through the hole in the factory tray and snap the tray back down. Drop the phone holder back in place and Voila!

OK. You got me.... how on earth did you fish the cable down from the top tray to the bottom? I couldn't make that work for the life of me. Tell me you didn't pop-off the entire dash.

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I routed the cable behind the dash so it's no longer in the way. Comes out behind the phone for easy connect.

Poke it through the hole in the factory tray and snap the tray back down. Drop the phone holder back in place and Voila!

OK. You got me.... how on earth did you fish the cable down from the top tray to the bottom? I couldn't make that work for the life of me. Tell me you didn't pop-off the entire dash.
Pop off the right side dash cover/vent and the right side cover down by the USB ports.

You don't have to fully remove the dash cover, just pop out the part near the radio.

I left it attached by the passenger door and had plenty of room to work.

You will be able to get in there easily.

The only difficult part (and it was not really difficult) was getting the cable to come out at the back of the tray there.

You have some room by the AC vent to move it around to get it to line up so that you can grab it.

I have one of THESE and thought I might need to use it but I never had to.

EDIT:

I went out and took some pics to add a bit more detail as to how I routed the cable.

I have the handy dandy trim tool kit but you'll only need 1 of the tools. The one on the top right. If you don't have the trim tool, you can probably use a butter knife just be careful not to scratch the dash.

49585497027_b54b0ff4a8_b.jpg

Start under the vent on the passenger side and pop the cover loose across the bottom. The top will come loose and the cover will swing out. No need to remove it completely.

49584762218_599d485d79_b.jpg

49584762148_620274cf61_b.jpg

You can see where my cable is routed next to the AC duct.

Now open the glovebox and remove the side cover. It just pulls straight out.

49585496522_c64ed761e1_b.jpg

49585260166_1b0f4194eb_b.jpg

Now you can see how to route the cable and get your fingers in there to guide it.

49585260291_65758fac16_b.jpg

Hope this helps out.

Last edited:

Dusting_for_vomit

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
This is phenomenal... thanks a ton! I'll let ya know how it goes.

EDIT: This went really smoothly last evening thanks to your extra tips and pictures. Thanks again!

And in case anyone else is following this: I guess I also didn't realize that one needs to drill in two places to make this work. Once in the upper dashboard tray (clearly pictured above), and a second hole such that the cable can be fed into the lower dash. This one will be located just above the USB port, and will open laterally into the space behind the dashboard panel that sits at the passengers left knee. A 3/8" bit did the trick for my cable, and neither hole is all that noticeable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I didn't drill a second hole, only the one in the tray.

Can you get a pic of where the second hole is located?

Dusting_for_vomit

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I didn't drill a second hole, only the one in the tray.

Can you get a pic of where the second hole is located?
Haha, I was worried you might say that. I couldn't find any way to get the cable weaseled in so I reached for the drill. I'll update tonight.

EDIT: Oops... I see it now. Could have routed it lower and behind the gap in the lower panel. Well, at least I can't see my mistake when I'm driving. Ha! :facepalm:
1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
I did a bit of drilling on the factory tray and now I am happy.

The Aonkey cellphone holder works great with my S8. I was always forgetting to grab my phone when it was down in the lower bin with the USB ports, and if I put it in the tray up top the cable draped up across the dash was always nagging me.

49557141297_d1a6de13e5_b.jpg

The holder has the super sticky rubber backing discs and works well with the ribs in the dash tray. It doesn't budge at all.

The phone holders are a semi-flexible rubber and hold the phone very securely while allowing for easy insert/removal.

Drilled a small hole in the rear of the factory tray for the USB-C cable to come through

49556408233_5842e63c0a_b.jpg

49556408308_821c444ee0_b.jpg

49556905851_5315802acc_b.jpg

Routed the cable behind the cubby where the USB ports are located.

49556905996_791558feda_b.jpg

Now my phone is front and center so I don't forget it, easily popped in and out, always connected for Android Auto, and also perfectly positioned for running an offline GPS trail app (Locus Pro).

Nice! I did the same thing!

IMG_1167.jpg

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020

Viator092

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BMW 440i, 15 VW Golf TDI, 19 Ford Ranger Lariat
Will this phone holder work with a Lifeproof case on the phone.
I have an Iphone 7. The case makes it about twice as thick.

No clue. May want to pose the question on the Amazon page.

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020
I did a bit of drilling on the factory tray and now I am happy.

The Aonkey cellphone holder works great with my S8. I was always forgetting to grab my phone when it was down in the lower bin with the USB ports, and if I put it in the tray up top the cable draped up across the dash was always nagging me.

49557141297_d1a6de13e5_b.jpg

The holder has the super sticky rubber backing discs and works well with the ribs in the dash tray. It doesn't budge at all.

The phone holders are a semi-flexible rubber and hold the phone very securely while allowing for easy insert/removal.

Drilled a small hole in the rear of the factory tray for the USB-C cable to come through

49556408233_5842e63c0a_b.jpg

49556408308_821c444ee0_b.jpg

49556905851_5315802acc_b.jpg

Routed the cable behind the cubby where the USB ports are located.

49556905996_791558feda_b.jpg

Now my phone is front and center so I don't forget it, easily popped in and out, always connected for Android Auto, and also perfectly positioned for running an offline GPS trail app (Locus Pro).
This is excellent. Going to do the exact same thing with my truck

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Thanks for the awesome idea. Used it. It took me the most amount of time popping off the dash trim. First, the chrome bezel came off. I thought I was going to bust it I was pulling so hard. After that, easy. Whole thing, except hole cutting,(using Dremel tomorrow) took 10 minutes. I found it super easy to route cable from top down, with the help of gravity.
Like not having to cut it like Polar Bear, but that wire dangling over the edge would've drove me nuts. Also just seeing the wire from back corner. So I routed cable to front of tray, so I would never see it, and I'll Dremel out a small rectangle on the front side of the tray. Since sometimes I listen to tunes in the truck parked, I use tray as beer holder. If it spills, doesn't run down the dash. Stays put. Yeah, the B/O tunes are that great.
Thanks for the post Dr. Zaius