Sync Map update with help of Ford Customer Service

JetEngr19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Jeep Wranger
That may have been an earlier piece of the install. The full install, when I tested it, took about 55 minutes. Check your IVSU screen for the 14G422. If it isn't there, but the map itself is correct, you can install the English packages with this:

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = Nav-Voice Chunk1
Open1 = SyncMyRide\4U5T-14G422-CAC.tar.gz
Item2 = Nav-Voice Chunk2
Open2 = SyncMyRide\4U5T-14G422-CBC.tar.gz
Item3 = Nav-Voice Chunk3
Open3 = SyncMyRide\4U5T-14G422-CCC.tar.gz
Options = Autoinstall

The Item1/Open1 package is English, so if you're not planning on using French or Spanish, you don't *need* the last two. Note, you may need to re-run the last section entirely if you interrupted the process after, say, step 2.
This seems to have fixed it. Thank you!
Sponsored

OldGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
This seems to have fixed it. Thank you!
It appears I'm not alone in this update fiasco. Numerous downloads and numerous attempts and fail fail fail.
I call customer support and while they were very polite, could not solve this. They verified with my vin and esn
that a map update was there. What is the actual version of the map update, 1-18? mine is 1-17.
I was transferred to sync support and was told to go to sync nav update where I was presented with pay for download
version. Shriek! So like a fool I do this and pay for the zip drive. I get the drive, attempt an update and get the exact same
error message. I call sync nav support again and they tell me there is no map update? I mention I got notified in my Ford Pass app that there was. They repeat 1-17 is the latest version?
I did a master reset and it updated the sync part although I had 3.3 before. The map remains 1-17.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It appears I'm not alone in this update fiasco. Numerous downloads and numerous attempts and fail fail fail.
I call customer support and while they were very polite, could not solve this. They verified with my vin and esn
that a map update was there. What is the actual version of the map update, 1-18? mine is 1-17.
I was transferred to sync support and was told to go to sync nav update where I was presented with pay for download
version. Shriek! So like a fool I do this and pay for the zip drive. I get the drive, attempt an update and get the exact same
error message. I call sync nav support again and they tell me there is no map update? I mention I got notified in my Ford Pass app that there was. They repeat 1-17 is the latest version?
I did a master reset and it updated the sync part although I had 3.3 before. The map remains 1-17.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
Hi Dennis,

You might get your answer by reading through the whole thread starting with post #1...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Or try this zip file, following these directions.

The attached file will correct the concern you are having with installing the map update in the vehicle. Please follow the steps below.

1- Download/save attached zipped folder on your PC

2- Extract zipped folder to root directory of empty USB (exFAT format). Normally you would find the download, right click, go to open with and select windows explorer. Extract All Files or Drag/Drop Files to USB Drive. The files should like look like this in the root directory of the USB drive. At least a 2GB USB drive is needed for this file.

upload_2020-2-23_14-40-45.png

3- Start vehicle and Insert USB into USB port in vehicle

4- Within one minute, SYNC will display “Updating System Software…” transient message on the top left corner followed by a black screen where Map is displayed.

5- After about one minute, SYNC will display pop-up “Installation complete you may remove your USB device…”

6- Remove the USB from the USB port

7- Turn ignition off (open door if needed for power to completely shut down in the vehicle) and wait for 3 minutes to make sure SYNC go to full sleep

8- Turn ignition on, SYNC will display pop-up “Navigation Fault…” Please ignore this POPUP. Insert the original USB which contains the map data downloaded from Alom.COM and follow the user instructions. Please do not remove the USB drive or power the vehicle’s engine off while update is installing. The update should take 50-60 minutes. Around the 30-40 minute mark you can may see a “Installation Complete, remove USB” for 2-3 seconds and it disappears. The update is not complete at this point. Please leave USB drive in. At the end you will see this message again, but it will not disappear until you press the screen for it to.

Attachments

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Hi Dennis,

You might get your answer by reading through the whole thread starting with post #1...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

The attached file will correct the concern you are having with installing the map update in the vehicle. Please follow the steps below.

2- Extract zipped folder to root directory of empty USB (exFAT format). Normally you would find the download, right click, go to open with and select windows explorer. Extract All Files or Drag/Drop Files to USB Drive. The files should like look like this in the root directory of the USB drive. At least a 2GB USB drive is needed for this file.

4- Within one minute, SYNC will display “Updating System Software…” transient message on the top left corner followed by a black screen where Map is displayed.

5- After about one minute, SYNC will display pop-up “Installation complete you may remove your USB device…”

7- Turn ignition off (open door if needed for power to completely shut down in the vehicle) and wait for 3 minutes to make sure SYNC go to full sleep

8- Turn ignition on, SYNC will display pop-up “Navigation Fault…” Please ignore this POPUP. Insert the original USB which contains the map data downloaded from Alom.COM and follow the user instructions. Please do not remove the USB drive or power the vehicle’s engine off while update is installing. The update should take 50-60 minutes. Around the 30-40 minute mark you can may see a “Installation Complete, remove USB” for 2-3 seconds and it disappears. The update is not complete at this point. Please leave USB drive in. At the end you will see this message again, but it will not disappear until you press the screen for it to.

Phil the problem most of us are having is that we have never gotten as far as you have with Ford support. I have been working with them for a week now (they finally contacted me) since starting this thing near the end of November 2019. It takes them two days to respond to my email each time and so far we have gotten nowhere. By the way, mine throws the 01 error within 5 seconds of installing the thumb drive.

OldGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Hi Dennis,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OldGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Hi Phil.

I did all that, numerous times. My frustration is I keep getting the same error, even with the "so called" correct files i bought from Ford.
I never got the installation complete and of course the rest as you mentioned. I did a master reset and the files I got from Ford
updated the sync software but NOT the map. It seems speaking with Ford gives me a different answer, and they point me to the sync map folks
who tell me there is no map update? Huh?

Anyway thank you for your time and solutions!

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil.

I did all that, numerous times. My frustration is I keep getting the same error, even with the "so called" correct files i bought from Ford.
I never got the installation complete and of course the rest as you mentioned. I did a master reset and the files I got from Ford
updated the sync software but NOT the map. It seems speaking with Ford gives me a different answer, and they point me to the sync map folks
who tell me there is no map update? Huh?

Anyway thank you for your time and solutions!
Hi Dennis,

The problem is that when you run the map update, there is a bug in Sync 3.3 and the map will not show updated when it is actually updated which was my case, but I had to run my engine for almost 2 hours to get to the Update Complete screen. I still show map 1.17, but it is really 1.18... As I have maintained since I retired and then after retirement Sync was rolled out in a not ready for prime time, I stand by my statement of that time....
SYNC SUCKS! Nothing has changed my mind with these time consuming and horrible methodologies to accomplish what with in seconds I can do with my Samsung S10+ mobile phone...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OldGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Hi Dennis,

The problem is that when you run the map update, there is a bug in Sync 3.3 and the map will not show updated when it is actually updated which was my case, but I had to run my engine for almost 2 hours to get to the Update Complete screen. I still show map 1.17, but it is really 1.18... As I have maintained since I retired and then after retirement Sync was rolled out in a not ready for prime time, I stand by my statement of that time....
SYNC SUCKS! Nothing has changed my mind with these time consuming and horrible methodologies to accomplish what with in seconds I can do with my Samsung S10+ mobile phone...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil
I agree. I have a s10+ as well. Works way better then sync. Thanks for the info about the version. I'll cancel the dealer trip.
Dennis

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
Most likely they signed it to his ESN so you'll get an error.
You and Phil were correct, I got an ESN error trying to use Phil's map delete file from Ford. I decided to just install the missing voice files with the autoinstall.lst info you provided to another member of the group. I think the 14G22 is all that is missing for me too. I hope that works although I never even tried using voice commands in NAV before the update. Thanks.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Hi Dennis,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

I just got this same message and file for my truck today from Ford. Maybe this will finally solve this Sync nightmare I have been living since Nov 24, 2019. Wish me luck.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I’m not sure if it’s the same file I loaded or not, but I got the latest map update and it was 14gb. I had to copy a key file in and make sure I was formatted exfat. It took like 40 mins but it loaded first try no problem.

is everyone copying their key file and pulling a zip that’s about 11-14gb in size?

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Did the process as prescribed by Ford Tech and all went well...........except I have no maps now. The installation went well with no error messages and it took every bit of 1.5 hours. When I checked the map version the field is now blank where it used to show 17.

Phil: Once you did your update did it take a while after starting the truck for the updates to kick in? Could that be why I am not seeing anything like I expected to?

Last edited:

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
Did the process as prescribed by Ford Tech and all went well...........except I have no maps now. The installation went well with no error messages and it took every bit of 1.5 hours. When I checked the map version the field is now blank where it used to show 17.

Phil: Once you did your update did it take a while after starting the truck for the updates to kick in? Could that be why I am not seeing anything like I expected to?
Given the 1.5 hours, I assume you re-ran the map update?

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Given the 1.5 hours, I assume you re-ran the map update?
I sure did. It ran without any errors. At the end where it said “complete and to remove thumb drive” I waited an additional 5 minutes before doing so just to make sure it was done. I cycled off the ignition, waited about 20 minutes and started it up to see the new maps and got the sync error screen that Phil shared early in the thread.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
I sure did. It ran without any errors. At the end where it said “complete and to remove thumb drive” I waited an additional 5 minutes before doing so just to make sure it was done. I cycled off the ignition, waited about 20 minutes and started it up to see the new maps and got the sync error screen that Phil shared early in the thread.
Check if anything shows up in the IVSU Versions menu. You'll look for the 14G421 and 14G422 items. Did you power cycle after running the map delete utility? I've personally never used that one, so it's not clear to me if it needs that reset first or not.
Sponsored