Anyone else get a Ranger used as loaner?

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Both the purchase agreement and the motor vehicle sales contract note the truck as NEW, with nothing else marked.
Then, based on what you stated I'd say you have a legal argument with your dealer.
Sponsored

OP
OP
majorv

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew
Occupation
Retired
Five years ago we bought a dealer demo with 4550 miles and 6 months on it. The warranty started when it was originally placed into service, 6 months prior. The one year free sat radio also started then. We lost 6 months off the warranty and free sat radio as well as 4550 off the mileage warranty. This is in Texas.
Interesting, my Sirius XM trial is 6 months and it started when I bought the car. I didn’t lose any of that.

I did find out that the truck was untitled when I bought it so considered new.

OP
OP
majorv

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Then, based on what you stated I'd say you have a legal argument with your dealer.
I think so too. I plan to ask that those 7 months be added back to my warranty. When I called Ford about why I was missing 7 months of warranty they said I would have to talk to the dealer about getting it changed.
Thanks everyone for your input!

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Yup. You have a case. I'd say go after it. They need to add on to your warranty if the paperwork says sold as new. I'd also say don't bother with letters, just walk in and chat, and don't bother with salesmen, go directly to the manager. Be friendly and be clear, but if they hint at anything that even sounds like a denied, list the steps that you will take to insure that you do get the full warranty you deserve for a new vehicle. Don't settle for "their word" that they will support you for 7 extra months.

I predict they will try to sell you an extended warranty for 2 years and then "give" you 15% off the normal price or something. Don't go for that, demand a 7 month extension, or a full 36 month reset of the warranty. If you don't get it, walk out and lawyer up. Breach of warranty can probably be handled in small claims court for almost no cost, and they will be forced to act on it.

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
Who is "they"?
Well, "them" Jeff, of course.

Or I have no idea since I clearly made some assumptions based on the brief discussion I had with the sales manager at the time. One of those was that it extended the Ford new vehicle warranty. I wouldn't consider an arrangement with some random local dealer to be post-worthy, no matter how idiotic I sounded with my hasty early responses. As I highlighted above, the extension appears to be a 42 mo/42k mile Ford Protect PremiumCARE Service Plan and not a new warranty extension per se. At least those are the numbers I was given at Capitol City Ford. I have no idea if FCTP is an option for dealers or not, since I didn't find anything directly from Ford.

Regardless, I looked at the warranty booklet (https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ck-Warranty-version-3_frdwa_EN-US_12_2019.pdf) and find this on page 2 (6 of 40):

KNOW WHEN YOUR WARRANTY BEGINS
Your Warranty Start Date is the day you take delivery of your new vehicle or the day it is first put into service (for example, as a dealer demonstrator), whichever occurs first.

Interesting that Steve (IdahoRanger) did get a full factory warranty, so this may be another example of the old assumptions rule.

Peace

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
Maybe Texas doesn't allow dealers to sell courtesy vehicles as new and I've misspoken. Other states appear to allow them to use the vehicles without titling. That was certainly what I was led to believe here, and dealers from MI and TN both refer to them as new vehicles.

Your best approach may be to look at your contract, contact the Texas AG's Consumer Protection division, or the DMV.
We live in Texas and bought a 2014 Explorer that was also a courtesy vehicle. I no longer own it, but still have some of the paperwork. It was several months old when we bought it, but the in service date was the day we closed the deal on it.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
Maybe Texas doesn't allow dealers to sell courtesy vehicles as new and I've misspoken. Other states appear to allow them to use the vehicles without titling. That was certainly what I was led to believe here, and dealers from MI and TN both refer to them as new vehicles.

Your best approach may be to look at your contract, contact the Texas AG's Consumer Protection division, or the DMV.
VA an Ohio refer to these as "new untitled" vehicles as well! Michigan I wasnt aware
.. of an lived there 12yrs! Currently in NW Ohio w/my job but......really want move back to SE Michigan asap! #Novi #AnnArbor #Livonia

Philb

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I bought Ranger XLT at the end of December. It was a Demo/Loaner with just over 4000 miles. Never titled. Inservice date of 9/24/19 . That was when warranty started. Sirius trial period started when I bought the truck. This was in Colorado.

CapnRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
So I purchased a 2019 Lariat in early October. It had 2060 miles on it and was very clearly explained to me that it was used as a loaner primarily for folks that have brought their vehicles in for warranty service etc. Service date was August sometime and that's when the warranty started. However, I was told that these qualify for 6 months of extended bumper to bumper coverage under this Ford sponsored program. I got a $6500 discount right off of the top, 34 months left of the factory B2B then 6 months of extended B2B. I have the extended coverage in a contract and the extended 6 month B2B coverage even shows up in my FordPass app. Very reputable dealer her in Nebraska. Couldn't be happier.

OP
OP
majorv

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I went to the dealer today and he pulled up the records on my Ranger. It does show I have the balance of my bumper to bumper warranty (36-7 mos) plus a 42 mo/42,000 mi warranty thru Ford premiumcare Svc plan with roadside assistance.
The salesman didn’t tell me this and all this could’ve been avoided if he had. I had bought an extended warranty when I bought the truck...still glad I did that.
Sponsored