Show us your touch up before and after.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve done a few spots and it’s not that great any info and or pics with advice appreciated.
Sponsored

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I bought this on Amazon. Haven't used it yet, but it was cheap and watched the detail guy use it on a Ferrari. It seemed affective.

paint pen.jpg

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I bought this on Amazon. Haven't used it yet, but it was cheap and watched the detail guy use it on a Ferrari. It seemed affective.

paint pen.jpg
That’s the job most promise. . A lot of stuff seems good. The install is the issue. I used factory paint. 5k grit sand paper to smooth it down and still can’t get the clean look. Might have to spray it. Wondering if others have better experience.

A4FB4A25-1DFC-4D3B-9BB5-67C18715DDED.jpeg

F249F40B-FDDD-4C5F-AA0C-787699D65DB8.jpeg

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
That’s the job most promise. . A lot of stuff seems good. The install is the issue. I used factory paint. 5k grit sand paper to smooth it down and still can’t get the clean look. Might have to spray it. Wondering if others have better experience.

A4FB4A25-1DFC-4D3B-9BB5-67C18715DDED.jpeg

F249F40B-FDDD-4C5F-AA0C-787699D65DB8.jpeg
Dmax its hard to touch up metallic and pearl colors,the metallic doesnt lay down properly using a brush and causes what your seeing. Bret

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dmax its hard to touch up metallic and pearl colors,the metallic doesnt lay down properly using a brush and causes what your seeing. Bret
Gotya...so what's the solution or best way to get it to blend in your opinion?

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
Gotya...so what's the solution or best way to get it to blend in your opinion?
I never tried any but i think there is Dr scratch filler-maybe give it a try. Other wise its sand ,base coat,clear coat. Metallics are hard to touch up because there isnt any thinner in touch up and the flakes cant lay down properly and will give a different reflection making it look like a different color. Sorry no easy magic to make it go away undetectable. There are some Ford body techs here that may chime in. Also check your dealer ,they usually have a dent/ding guy that repairs small areas like that pretty cheap. Good luck with the repair . Bret

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I never tried any but i think there is Dr scratch filler-maybe give it a try. Other wise its sand ,base coat,clear coat. Metallics are hard to touch up because there isnt any thinner in touch up and the flakes cant lay down properly and will give a different reflection making it look like a different color. Sorry no easy magic to make it go away undetectable. There are some Ford body techs here that may chime in. Also check your dealer ,they usually have a dent/ding guy that repairs small areas like that pretty cheap. Good luck with the repair . Bret
Hi Bret,

Thanks for the explanation as I have experienced what you mentioned and was puzzled why the tough up was so off color...Is it possible to thin the paint brush and then load it with paint behind the thinner and do this several times? Going to try this Gold Label pen to see if it helps if and when I get a chip on my Ranger or the Wife's Lincoln MKX.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
Hi Bret,

Thanks for the explanation as I have experienced what you mentioned and was puzzled why the tough up was so off color...Is it possible to thin the paint brush and then load it with paint behind the thinner and do this several times? Going to try this Gold Label pen to see if it helps if and when I get a chip on my Ranger or the Wife's Lincoln MKX.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil I never tried it but you might be on to something here and is worth giving it a shot. Probably wont cover as well and take multiple coats but it just may work. The pen you have is interesting and I had never used one. I just touched up small chip on my Platinum White and I lucked out it came out well.The touched up spot is slightly visible but the color and metallic laid out nice and was a very good match and this was using Ford's 2 stage touch up. We all get lucky sometime.Good luck with the repair. I have to agree with others that this paint appears to chip very easy. Bret

NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Alright so I got a little dilemma here. I had a nasty rock chip I tried sanding down, touching up and clearing over in magnetic. Well my luck, I sanded through the clearcoat into the paint in a 1'' circular area. Any ideas to blend in/fix as best as possible? I got 2 coats of magnetic on the spot now. I've done quite a few touch ups and so far this is the only one I messed up big time. I'm afraid I'll have to get the area resprayed....:angry:

Last edited:

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
Alright so I got a little dilemma here. I had a nasty rock chip I tried sanding down, touching up and clearing over in magnetic. Well my luck, I sanded through the clearcoat into the paint in a 1'' circular area. Any ideas to blend in/fix as best as possible? I got 2 coats of magnetic on the spot now. I've done quite a few touch ups and so far this is the only one I messed up big time. I'm afraid I'll have to get the area resprayed....:angry:
Would be nice to see spot but if its 1 inch in diameter I think you will need to spray it. Probably not what you want to hear though. Bret

NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Would be nice to see spot but if its 1 inch in diameter I think you will need to spray it. Probably not what you want to hear though. Bret
I'll try to get a picture up, I'm currently at work mulling over my screw up. My neighbor happens to work at a body shop so I might try to get him to look at it/fix. I'm figuring if I can't blend in the touch up, respraying is my only hope.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
Maybe your neighbor can hook you up,if not good luck with it. Where at in Jersey Nick? I lived in Burlington area for 51 years. Bret

NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe your neighbor can hook you up,if not good luck with it. Where at in Jersey Nick? I lived in Burlington area for 51 years. Bret
I'm in the Tom's River area. I'm currently trying to finish my last year of college then move out of state. It's getting too expensive to live here. I'm just not sure where I want to move though. I'm all over the place between wanting to go here and there. Thanks for the help. I'll post my results

NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I know you really can't tell in the picture but I took the tape off and it looks surprisingly really good. I still have to add another 2 coats to give it 5 and then smooth out and add some clear. So far fingers crossed.

20200223_115929.jpg

20200223_115932.jpg

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know you really can't tell in the picture but I took the tape off and it looks surprisingly really good. I still have to add another 2 coats to give it 5 and then smooth out and add some clear. So far fingers crossed.

20200223_115929.jpg

20200223_115932.jpg
Was reading on line where people were heating up the metallic paint via a container that would absorb the heat and make the paint much more viscous. Supposedly it helps thin it out and really mix the paint? I haven't tried it but it's an idea....kinda like chocolate on a double boiler melting it. I have the same color paint so I will be following closely...good luck

DMAX
Sponsored