gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
im half tempted to just order the ford branded brake controller for tow package 2 and do a uturn in the dealer parking out of parts and into service and then tell them to install it. they can use my ford pass points to locate and identify the trailer wiring first as far as im concerned lol
Sponsored

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
After literally hours of scouring fords website and literature downloaded based on my vin I believe my work here is complete. IF and I say IF this wiring kit should make any non 53R ranger able to talk to a TBC without doing a hackjob on a new truck. Ordered the redarc and the 30 amp kit now that I am satisfied the lack of pigtails is a non issue. Ford just wanted to sell XL owners a .17 cent connector and .50 cents of wire for 32$ lesson learned for next truck.

So all in all it would've just been easier to order a 53R equipped truck or at least an XLT.

Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 4.56.41 PM.png

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
After literally hours of scouring fords website and literature downloaded based on my vin I believe my work here is complete. IF and I say IF this wiring kit should make any non 53R ranger able to talk to a TBC without doing a hackjob on a new truck. Ordered the redarc and the 30 amp kit now that I am satisfied the lack of pigtails is a non issue. Ford just wanted to sell XL owners a .17 cent connector and .50 cents of wire for 32$ lesson learned for next truck.

So all in all it would've just been easier to order a 53R equipped truck or at least an XLT.

Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 4.56.41 PM.png
What is that pdf document?

OP
OP

AirborneRanger

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Cobra SCJ, 19 Ranger FX4
Occupation
11B4V
I ran all external wires on mine as a quick fix. Worked excellent from Georgia to Washington state. After I find a house ill rip these wires out and have a dealer install those pig tails and control module in the truck. Gbritt89 I'm glad you posted that document and part number. As far as the trip goes, I towed a 22ft enclosed trailer with a 69 fairlane cobra, tools and luggage. I am estimating my load to weigh between 6700-7k lbs. I had zero issues the entire way here. Brakes worked soo damn good. Driving with the sway control on makes it feel like a planted truck at speed. I felt like it was cheating. Sway control mode is awesome, only issue i had with it was holding on to 3rd gear too long when merging onto highways. I also ran into 6% grades through 4 or 5 states and the engine braking takes probably half the braking load. I put this truck through a 3k mile torture test and it held up so well.

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
What is that pdf document?
I can email it to you when I get home to my laptop tomorrow. Email me at my username @ gmail.com

I ordered it so I will be the test monkey I am going to hand it off to the dealer if this is not the magical fix but I believe it is. My truck is at the collision center at dealer currently for repairs. Will post back and let you
I ran all external wires on mine as a quick fix. Worked excellent from Georgia to Washington state. After I find a house ill rip these wires out and have a dealer install those pig tails and control module in the truck. Gbritt89 I'm glad you posted that document and part number. As far as the trip goes, I towed a 22ft enclosed trailer with a 69 fairlane cobra, tools and luggage. I am estimating my load to weigh between 6700-7k lbs. I had zero issues the entire way here. Brakes worked soo damn good. Driving with the sway control on makes it feel like a planted truck at speed. I felt like it was cheating. Sway control mode is awesome, only issue i had with it was holding on to 3rd gear too long when merging onto highways. I also ran into 6% grades through 4 or 5 states and the engine braking takes probably half the braking load. I put this truck through a 3k mile torture test and it held up so well.

Jimmy07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL/STX
gbritt89 .... Can you post back and let me know what you had installed and the result. I also have an XL with pre wire to the rear bumper for 4 and 7 pin connector. But no (four) cut wires under dash for brake controller.

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, should’ve posted here a lot sooner.
Wound up returning my redarc and got the ford package redarc/lumen kit.

Ford kit utilizes CHMSL to access brake signal and a nearby grounding location.

This leaves you to supply 12v+ battery connection and blue TBC out.

For the 12v+ battery connection I used redarcs 30 amp circuit breaker kit shown here

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Redarc/331-CBK30-EB.html

I then went to the dealership and paid 3.5 hrs labor for them to cut into the factory wiring beneath the truck and tie in a blue 10 gauge wire after confirming that it was leading to the rear plug. They were not originally willing to accommodate this request. They only decided to play ball when I mentioned how approachable the owner of the dealership is, and how I’d be having words with him seeing as he keeps his private jet at the FBO where I am employed.

I have the truck back together. Everything works. Knob is hanging free under my steering wheel at the moment waiting on lightforce fascia to come.

Jimmy07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL/STX
Thanks for your help. I'm giving up and will go with the Tekonsha Prodigy RF, so that I can start towing up the Alcan next month. From other posts, the Prodigy RF route will negate the efforts of automatic emergency braking and electronic trailer sway control, but there's not much I can do about it now. Ford will get a nasty letter from me.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Thanks for your help. I'm giving up and will go with the Tekonsha Prodigy RF, so that I can start towing up the Alcan next month. From other posts, the Prodigy RF route will negate the efforts of automatic emergency braking
I don't think there's any evidence that's true. Probably, it will behave exactly the same as a TBC installed under the dash. Possibly, it may behave much worse if the brake signal at the trailer hookup comes from the brake lights rather than the brake pedal like the line under the dash. The Prodigy RF uses the brake light signal to the trailer to determine when to apply the brakes. It uses an accelerometer to determine how much brake to apply. From the Tekonsha manual: "Trailer braking is initiated and terminated via signals on the trailer wiring, (Left and Right Turn and Stop). When the brake pedal is released, the trailer braking will cease." The one thing I haven't been able to figure out is whether AEB on a ranger flashes the brake lights, as it does on some cars. If it does, and if it also flashes the trailer brake lights, then in an AEB situation even if you hit the brake pedal the Tekonsha will see a flashing brake signal. Who knows what would happen then. Unless you've got something from Ford (not a dealer), or Tekonsha (not a salesperson), or someone who's found a way to test the brake controller during an AEB activation, all there is comes down to opinions on the internet.

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I just had this installed at my Ford dealer, when you order on line the parts are a 10% discount over buying from the parts department and when you select buy installation of $145.00 at time of order that is for 1 Hr labor, dealer said it took tech 3.5 hours and that came at no additional cost. User control knob is to the left under the light control.

https://accessories.ford.com/catalog/product/view/id/12688/s/module-trailer-brake/category/3115/
Trailer Brake Control
Part No: VKB3Z-2C006-A

SRP: $339.00
Get local pricing
Take control of your trailer with a Trailer Brake Controller designed and Ford approved specifically for your Ranger.
  • The only FORD APPROVED trailer brake controller compatible with all vehicle safety systems including:
Forward Collision Warning System
Automatic Emergency Braking
  • Two driver selectable braking modes – proportional or user-controlled modes
  • Adjustable braking force – simply rotate knob to desired intensity
  • Custom ECU helps manage the truck’s brake signals

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I know $454.00 is a lot of money but i like the fact that it is:
  • The only FORD APPROVED trailer brake controller compatible with all vehicle safety systems including:
Forward Collision Warning System
Automatic Emergency Braking

Prior to this I was using a Curt Echo but did not like the fact that it often lost the Blue Tooth connection, Curt says the brakes still work on the trailer based on the last setting but I did not feel comfortable not seeing the brakes being applied on the trailer in their APP.

Jimmy07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL/STX
Great post Joem. I tried the Echo too and it stop working the second day. Unfortunately, I have the XL trim (with tow package) and this trim doesn't come with the pre wire for brake controller under dash. Dealer confirmed this and said that it would take 2 to 4 hours of shop labor to install the 4 lead pre wire. I'll probably have it done and go after a Ford for reimbursement. But your approach of buying it online and having it installed for a fixed price .... may be a better approach.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
My 2020 XL SuperCab stx does not have the wires either. I'm installing the Ford/redarc VKB3Z-2C006-A.

The way I'm working around it is, I'm going to pull a decent size lead from the battery into the cab and put it on a fuse block for the brake controller and future amp install. For the brake output wire I'm just going to run a 10awg wire from the controller through the firewall and splice it into the curt harness. This way I won't have to mess around trying to splice into the factory harness.

This is really a headache. I stated this project this morning thinking getting to the CHMSL was going to be my biggest hurdle. I can't understand the logic of not just putting a $2 connector in all models with the brake controller wires. :angry:

Scienceguy88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I looked at your picture as well and didn't see anything remotely similar to what I found under my dash. I agree it appears they are not there.

I think the difference might be the trim level. I have a Lariat without a tow package. I believe others have found the wires in the XLTs without the tow package but after your and AirborneRanger's experience, it appears the brake control wires are not present on the XL trim level. Which is definitely a bummer
I have an XL with STX appearance package and I have the 4 wires