8492 - 2019 Ranger - Trailer Brake Controller Availability

Craig MacKay

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
My 2019 is at the dealer as we speak for the factory Ford TBC install. Funny, I asked the Service Drone about the manual GAIN knob, and he didn't know, he went to one of the mechanics, he didn't know, so we both went to the Parts Dept and asked, and his system only showed the the TBC box as the only part included (which I got from the dealer when I got the truck in December).

So...is there a knob or slider for the factory Ford controller? I'm skimming 15 pages of this post and haven't seen one yet.

Thanks.
So this is what I got sold as I apparently "have the integrated trailer package" (with no controller):
https://www.fordpartsprime.com/oem/ford-module_trailer_brake-fl3z19h332b.html

...which is not at all the re-branded RedArc that you folks are referencing
https://accessories.ford.ca/module-trailer-brake-12688.html

I just called the Dealer and asked what gives...they are calling Ford Canada to try to figure it out.
Sponsored

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys 4Xe
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
So this is what I got sold as I apparently "have the integrated trailer package" (with no controller):
https://www.fordpartsprime.com/oem/ford-module_trailer_brake-fl3z19h332b.html

...which is not at all the re-branded RedArc that you folks are referencing
https://accessories.ford.ca/module-trailer-brake-12688.html

I just called the Dealer and asked what gives...they are calling Ford Canada to try to figure it out.
I have no idea what that first thing is, you want the second (VKB3Z-2C006-A).

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab

Craig MacKay

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Your dealer sold you the wrong thing, simple as that. Note that the bottom of that page does not list the ranger as one of the applications for the part.
Yup. Just now:

Ford: "good afternoon sir, the other dealer ummm, made a mistake and sold you the module that is already installed under your dash. And, umm, we're really sorry but there is no brake controller for your truck "

Me: "What about part # VKB3Z 2C006 A?"

Ford: "Umm, oh, that does sound like a brake controller part number, let me look into it"

Stay tuned.

Craig MacKay

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
I have no idea what that first thing is, you want the second (VKB3Z-2C006-A).
I just wrongly assumed they knew what they were talking about. And this is from two different dealers who BOTH checked it in their parts catalog.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just wrongly assumed they knew what they were talking about. And this is from two different dealers who BOTH checked it in their parts catalog.
Lol when I was ordering (this was a year ago mind you) my dealer accessories guy confidently spouted that they could install a factory TBC for some price right off the top of his head. Of course he was quoting the F-150 TBC that you showed us, he had done it many times. Never occurred to him that the Ranger would be different. Long story short I installed my own Redarc.

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
My experience is that the Ranger is still a mystery to some Ford dealership staff. Perhaps because it's still new, perhaps because they're not selling as many of them as they are F-150s. My salesman, who was a very nice guy, was learning about the truck as he sold it to me. It all did work out, I did get the correct TBC installed (with the control knob) and even got him to get me the two missing trailer bed hold downs that Ford forgot to install.

Hang in there.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
@ anyone that can help...

I've searched all over this forum/thread and am confused as to part numbers and models for the Ford approved brake controller.

I need to get one. I have a Lariat FX4 with all the bells and whistles.

Can anyone provide the following information in one, clear post? Include pictures if necessary.

Brand of brake controller:

Model:

Part number:

Where is the best place to put the knob inside the cab?

I can't be the ONLY person that's confused, can I?

As always I appreciate any help in clarification.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Post 132 shows the part number and where the dealer will install the control knob. If you are up to the task, a better placement for the control knob is on the console next to the gear shift.

image.jpg

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
JonB and Jerry...you guys are great. I'll admit that I looked through this post but became frustrated with all the information and seemed to have missed post 132.

Thanks again

Craig MacKay

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Can someone (site admins?) post a sticky at the top of this thread? This is a great thread but if you are new to the issue searching 16 pages is a bit hard to get to the meat in the middle.

I'm thinking something like this:

The Ford factory approved Trailer Brake Controller (TBC) is part # VKB3Z-2C006-A. Their databases may or may not know that this exists yet.

The Controller taps the 3rd brake light for signal to trigger Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) because a brake-pedal input alone would not allow the AEB to work. Same with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC).

Cost for the part is pretty high, and cost for install even higher. Ford may or may not cover the cost of install for those who purchases the TOW PACKAGE...doubtful, but try to complain especially if you bought the Tow Package

Thoughts?

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
@ anyone that can help...

I've searched all over this forum/thread and am confused as to part numbers and models for the Ford approved brake controller.

I need to get one. I have a Lariat FX4 with all the bells and whistles.

Can anyone provide the following information in one, clear post? Include pictures if necessary.

Brand of brake controller:

Model:

Part number:

Where is the best place to put the knob inside the cab?

I can't be the ONLY person that's confused, can I?

As always I appreciate any help in clarification.
I just had this installed on my 2019 Lariat FX4, and wanted to note:
MY dealer wouldn't entertain the idea of mounting the control knob other than where the kit says (left of column).
I wanted it by the gearshift (post 235 picture).
So, I went to another dealer and they had no problem doing so, and liked that location for emergencies.
Of course that'd cost more, as they had to take apart the console.

All said and done:
$300 for the kit
$375 Labor (3hrs @ $125)
(It actually took them longer, as this was their first one, but they honored the quote)

Ya, I know, that's outrageous and shouldn't be!
But, it's done. The workmanship was impeccable, and I'm now good to go.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I'm getting a $339 quote from my dealers. Still looking.

I may have it installed by a tow shop that's installed every TBC on all my trucks for 20 years. Just have to find a better price for the controller.

I definitely want the button on the center console.

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys 4Xe
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
All said and done:
$300 for the kit
$375 Labor (3hrs @ $125)
(It actually took them longer, as this was their first one, but they honored the quote)

Ya, I know, that's outrageous and shouldn't be!
But, it's done. The workmanship was impeccable, and I'm now good to go.
What's laughable is that the instructions say 30 minutes!

I have already spent hours planning the install--we'll see if I can do it in 30 minutes :LOL:
Sponsored