Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What did you own previously? If you went from a very tight steering car to the Ranger, it will feel a bit looser than a smaller car or CUV. I went from a very tight steering car to the Ranger and it took a good week of driving before it became the "new norm".
Since the Ranger is electric assist steering, as is my 2016 MKX, the word calibration enters the picture as to how much assist is offered under various conditions. At lease the OP had the alignment checked. I really do not see much difference between my Ranger and my Lincoln CUV. My opinion is electric assist is superior to the old hydraulic assist... And electric steering does some "weird" things like shake the steering wheel when in Lane Assist for example...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Since the Ranger is electric assist steering, as is my 2016 MKX, the word calibration enters the picture as to how much assist is offered under various conditions. At lease the OP had the alignment checked. I really do not see much difference between my Ranger and my Lincoln CUV. My opinion is electric assist is superior to the old hydraulic assist... And electric steering does some "weird" things like shake the steering wheel when in Lane Assist for example...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I feel the Ranger has a bit more "numb on center" feeling than some other cars. Not bad by any means, but a bit more than my last car had. No worse than any other trucks I've driven either though.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Anthony
I feel the Ranger has a bit more "numb on center" feeling than some other cars. Not bad by any means, but a bit more than my last car had. No worse than any other trucks I've driven either though.
Hi Anthony,

The feel to which you are referring is called Center Feel (Some buff mags refer to it as groove feel). Much different to vehicle wander as OP mentioned.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
I think I'm experiencing a similar issue. I came from an '04 F-150 that I could thread any needle with to the '19 Ranger XLT I'm driving now. I noticed immediately that I seemed to always be riding the left side of the lane. It's not pulling left really, just kinda floats over there. I chalked it up to needing to get used to a different truck at first but just got back from a 200 mile round trip and I gotta tell you, it's a little scary at highway speeds on the interstate.

swinkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I had a loaner Ranger XLT 4x2 from the dealer for a few days while my Lariat FX4 was in for warranty work. That truck had the same wandering, terrifying, two hands on the wheel so you don't die, feeling on the Freeway around 70 MPH. I noticed it was only an issue on grooved pavement. When I changed lanes to smooth asphalt, the issue went away. I blame the Bridgestone Dueler tires. I had them on a previous truck and they had similar issues. I've driven the same roads with my Ranger and had no issues with my Hankook tires.

Deleted member 1634

I've noticed it a handful of times. Definitely on grooved pavement, but that happens in any vehicle I've ever driven on grooved pavement, so no surprise there. I feel like it also happens on windy days. And it doesn't necessarily need to be gale wind type days either. I think it more depends on the direction of wind compared to your direction of travel. There's a certain stretch on the way home from work where most days it's fine, but some days the truck gets a little wandery. I can't be sure, there might be other things that are different on those days, but the first thing that comes to mind is wind direction.

Mdmcom

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Wildtrack 2019
I'm experiencing an issue that I can only describe as wandering steering. While driving on a straight road, the truck will start to wander in the lane to the left or to the right. The direction is seemingly random as it does not consistently pull either direction. This happens while holding the wheel straight ahead and the steering wheel doesn't necessarily move when this happens. It's noticeable at speeds above around 35 mph and really noticeable at highway/interstate speeds (65-75 mph). The driver is then forced to counter steer and the cycle continues. I don't use the lane-keeping system because it kicks in to correct the wander so often at high speeds.

This isn't extreme like with a vehicle that's badly out of alignment. It's a slight wander to the left/right and only requires a slight correction but it happens so often that it becomes very annoying and makes driving long distances on straight roads very unenjoyable. I'm used to my Fusion (2016) where I can just hold the wheel straight and it goes straight with no wandering whatsoever.

Took it to the dealership, they said the alignment was perfect and that nothing is wrong with the truck and that's just how it drives. I searched the forums and can't find anyone complaining about this. I saw one thread about wandering steering but the poster said it was only on certain highway surfaces (excessive grooves) and not all the time. Wanting to see if it is just my Ranger or if I'm just not used to driving a truck.

Do any of you experience this problem, or is it just how the Ranger's drive?
I can't believe I have finally found somebody who has been experiencing the exact same issue! Have been searching on and off for this issue with no luck.

I have a late 2019 build Wildtrack in Australia and have already had the steering rack replaced twice. The first time because of a faulty steering sensor that would stop the steering returning to centre after a turn and the steering would always be slightly angled to the right whilst going straight, not dissimilar to a slightly off wheel alignment. The second replacement admittedly was because they installed the same part number rack (known fault) when they first replaced it, not including 3 wheel alignments. This was all carried out over about a 6 week period. However, in that time I have driven 8 loan rangers and 2 of my brother in laws have rangers also! Totally about 10 different Rangers. All drove beautifully and effortlessly over about 4000km that I had them for! Held their line beautifully also.

Mine is exactly like yours and I will also say heavier in the steering than all the ones I drove particularly around dead centre when you have to make those minor corrections. It is so annoying. On dirt roads or in the at it has a tendency to be nervous or unstable. Especially when driving on roads with camber and some undulations. Negative cambers are especially concerning causing the vehicle to twitch at random time towards the centre of the road.

I have escalated the matter with Ford Australia who are not denying there may be an issue but are stating that the dealer cannot fault and find issue with the car. Under Australian Consumer Law this is considered a major fault however, Ford has responded that in fact it is not a major fault and was rectified in a reasonable time. I just want to know is there anyone else out there? and what has since happened with your Ranger? Have you had a resolve? Would love to hear any responses.

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
"I noticed immediately that I seemed to always be riding the left side of the lane. It's not pulling left really, just kinda floats over there. "

lane keeping assist??
turn it off and see where it wants to go.
Actually I'm thinking that in my case it may have been the over inflated tires. They're all now at 35psi and haven't noticed the floating. I haven't been on any trips longer than a few miles since then, so can't really prove it. Happy to report back when I get the chance.

Also, agree with the other posts that the stock tires suck. Planning on getting upgrading those at some point.

Woodn88s

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
I'm experiencing an issue that I can only describe as wandering steering. While driving on a straight road, the truck will start to wander in the lane to the left or to the right. The direction is seemingly random as it does not consistently pull either direction. This happens while holding the wheel straight ahead and the steering wheel doesn't necessarily move when this happens. It's noticeable at speeds above around 35 mph and really noticeable at highway/interstate speeds (65-75 mph). The driver is then forced to counter steer and the cycle continues. I don't use the lane-keeping system because it kicks in to correct the wander so often at high speeds.

This isn't extreme like with a vehicle that's badly out of alignment. It's a slight wander to the left/right and only requires a slight correction but it happens so often that it becomes very annoying and makes driving long distances on straight roads very unenjoyable. I'm used to my Fusion (2016) where I can just hold the wheel straight and it goes straight with no wandering whatsoever.

Took it to the dealership, they said the alignment was perfect and that nothing is wrong with the truck and that's just how it drives. I searched the forums and can't find anyone complaining about this. I saw one thread about wandering steering but the poster said it was only on certain highway surfaces (excessive grooves) and not all the time. Wanting to see if it is just my Ranger or if I'm just not used to driving a truck.

Do any of you experience this problem, or is it just how the Ranger's drive?
I have a 2020 Ranger XLT. I am also very annoyed with this problem. I've noticed that at 70 mph with cruise on or off I am constantly correcting the steering not by a lot but enough that I want it fixed. Are there any suggestions or new developments regarding this problem? I bn love everything about this truck except this problem. Thos problem makes it impossible to even consider a long trip. My truck has 1000 miles on it.
Thanks

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 Ranger XLT. I am also very annoyed with this problem. I've noticed that at 70 mph with cruise on or off I am constantly correcting the steering not by a lot but enough that I want it fixed. Are there any suggestions or new developments regarding this problem? I bn love everything about this truck except this problem. Thos problem makes it impossible to even consider a long trip. My truck has 1000 miles on it.
Thanks
Hi Don,

Any mods to the suspension? Different tires? Tire pressures at door label spec? If No Mods, OEM Tries and Pressures to spec. I would recommend taking it to the dealer for an alignment check under warranty. Also I would suggest opening up a formal complaint with Ford Customer Care.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Woodn88s

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
Hi Don,

Any mods to the suspension? Different tires? Tire pressures at door label spec? If No Mods, OEM Tries and Pressures to spec. I would recommend taking it to the dealer for an alignment check under warranty. Also I would suggest opening up a formal complaint with Ford Customer Care.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thank you Phil. I will take these steps

Woodn88s

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
Hi Don,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
No mods, totally stock truck.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Increasing the caster to maximum spec might help. Adjusting towards the most toe in for spec might also help.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Increasing the caster to maximum spec might help. Adjusting towards the most toe in for spec might also help.
Hi Rick,

What you indicate is directionaly correct, but it should not exhibit this condition out of the box....This indicates something wrong which should be diagnosed before any changes are made....There may be more to this story that the owner is not aware, so the starting point has to be to record as delivered specs. I am think something is out of whack which should be identified first before any further adjustments are made.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Hi Rick,

What you indicate is directionaly correct, but it should not exhibit this condition out of the box....This indicates something wrong which should be diagnosed before any changes are made....There may be more to this story that the owner is not aware, so the starting point has to be to record as delivered specs. I am think something is out of whack which should be identified first before any further adjustments are made.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Agreed. It would need to be measured and evaluated to start with.
Sponsored