Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I’m thinking about adding a small LED light bar to the front. I’ve been looking under the hood and a bit intimidated at how I would get the wiring through the firewall and into the cab for a switch.

Has anyone thought about or used a wireless switch for anything like this? Seems like a quick and easy solution but maybe I’m missing something.

My thought is to simply pick up power from the battery and use an in line fuse for protection. I know most of the wireless switches use a fob like device and I have no issue with that.
The LED bar is 36w so the draw would only be 3a. I believe that should be a non issue.
My other thought would be to wire it into the high beams but I wanted to be able to turn it on independently of them.
Thoughts? Thanks!
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
apotocki

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
http://triggercontroller.com/
Exactly what you're looking for:)
DJtn4U0.jpg
Hmmmm. So wireless is possible. But....this is overkill for me as I don’t see me adding anything else. I’m sure its a great product. Its over $350 and more than double the lights I am looking to add.
Wondering if there are others out there that would suffice for a single application that is more reasonable. Thanks for the response and input.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
A toggle switch on the light would do the same thing cheep. Of course you would have to get out of the truck to turn on or off. LOL
You used to have to get out to lock the hubs. It costs money to be lazy. :)

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmmm. So wireless is possible. But....this is overkill for me as I don’t see me adding anything else. I’m sure its a great product. Its over $350 and more than double the lights I am looking to add.
Wondering if there are others out there that would suffice for a single application that is more reasonable. Thanks for the response and input.
They have a 4 switch version...a little shopping on Ebay can go a long way in saving MSRP...

Deleted member 1634

My off-road lights are wireless and run off a fob that I set in the little pocket on the dash. They're from Warn and they were made specifically to be wireless, and is the exact reason I went with them. I didn't want to worry about routing anything through the firewall either. I got these about 6 years ago now, they used to be on my previous vehicle (Subaru Crosstrek), so I don't think they make them anymore, but I'm sure there's some manufacturer out there that does it. These are just halogens, so not exactly what you're looking for, but in the same vain.

As for connecting them to other lights. The directions on mine said to wire them into the high beams, but like you I wanted to use them even when the high beams are off. So I just connected them to the parking/running lights. So I just have to turn those on in order to use the lights, and they will work with the lows, highs, or fogs on too. I think it looks cool with the Raptor-style lights and just the off-road lights on.

IMG_20191004_130447723_HDR.jpg

Grey Razor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Sport • 2015 Audi S3 • 2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR • 2005 Lancer Evolution VIII MR
Occupation
Learning Technology Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Having just gone through this over the weekend, getting through the firewall (using the grommet that goes around the main harness and hood release) is actually pretty easy with a straightened coat hanger and a knife even. I'm going to be posting more about it later, but it's not quite as awful as expected.

I ran two wires through, one for the relay for the lights and one for the main relay for the distribution box so it's not always powered to cut down on potential battery drains.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Im running the Trigger wireless system. Works perfectly, highly recommended.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport

Noel Willhite

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Where is everyone mounting their trigger boxes? Looks like the mounts are designed for jeeps or universal?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase