Anyone else keep accidentially putting their truck in 4H?

HighCaliberMitch

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLTSC FX4/Sport
Ive spun that wheel all the way to 4LO once but was able to back it off quick enough. Honestly Im curious what would have happened if I hadn't. Would the system realize it can't go into 4LO while doing 75mph and reset to 2 wheel?

Anyways, its the only thing I don't like about the truck that I can't fix with a mod.
It forces you to put the truck in neutral before actually making the change.

You won't ever accidentally be in 4L unless you are coasting in neutral, which you shouldn't do either.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I have done it a few times. I am pretty sure I hit it with my phone when I was sliding it into or out of the pocket where the USB ports are while I was driving. A little more resistance would be helpful.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
If you want a really annoying design, take a look at the Colorado. Lots of folks hit it with their left knee getting in or out of the truck. Ranger design is just fine for me.
I had that problem with my Colorado and finally installed a simple 3" long cabinet door handle over it. Never happened again and it looked factory installed. A terrible design since they also don't have a light on the dash to tell you that you are in 4wd.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Ive spun that wheel all the way to 4LO once but was able to back it off quick enough. Honestly Im curious what would have happened if I hadn't. Would the system realize it can't go into 4LO while doing 75mph and reset to 2 wheel?

Anyways, its the only thing I don't like about the truck that I can't fix with a mod.
No worries... I did that myself... A message pop's up stating the current vehicle speed is to high.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
This happened to me the other day. Thought my husband was going to divorce me over it (lost his mind!)!:rolleyes::crackup:
Oh, well, still love my Ranger (oh yeah, & him too:giggle:):turkey:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I did it once too I think I was reaching to shut off the auto start/stop because I was approaching a stop an didn't do it when I first got going like I normally do. This is my first 4x4 truck so I don't have anything to compare it to. Seems like having to push the dial down to turn it would make sense. I liked my old wrangler with a manual transfer case...you just pull the lever an it's in 4x4. I don't miss the vacuum actuator on the front axle though.

OP
OP
deeve

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
that was the YJ that had the vacuum disconnect wasn’t it? My first Jeep was a TJ and then a couple three JK’s. There is something satisfying about pulling that lever.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Not a bad thought...do you think the tape will leave a residue when I want to put it in 4H?
Works great for national park and state park stickers, company parking permits, etc.
Unknown.jpeg

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
yeah I had a YJ an liked it a lot. Loved the bullet proof 4.0 motor even though it was only 180 hp an 220 tq. A lot of guys just either locked the axle engaged or put a cable actuator on it. The manual transfer case just felt cool to engage.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I don't really know how I keep doing it, but I somehow am hitting the 4 wheel drive knob and putting it in 4H pretty often. I cannot tell if it is my phone cable somehow doing it or I'm moving my leg against the dial but it seems like every other day I find myself in 4H. Yesterday it happened twice. After looking at it a bit, the knob is pretty easy to turn compared to other trucks with similar shift knobs I have seen.
14k miles in.

Never had this happen.

What's goin on in that truck? Lol. Its not like your leg can bumb it....

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
No issues here so far, and I am just over 5k miles. And I guess I am lucky about the HVAC control as I have the XL/STX model. Simple control, and its up high.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
26k in and I’ve maybe done that once or twice and noticed before the shift. I like the knob, but I do miss the satisfaction of yanking a lever in for 4x4. I also miss having a manual transmission though which most don’t.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat
I’ve had it happen once... the more annoying one is kneeing the damn headlight switch when i get in a and moving it off auto ‍♂ That happens all the time!

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I’ve had it happen once... the more annoying one is kneeing the damn headlight switch when i get in a and moving it off auto ‍♂ That happens all the time!
Hit 4H once, in line at the carwash when I was messing with my phone, plugging it in, moving things around. I noticed it before really going anywhere. I pretty much glance at it now every time I plug in my phone and drop it in the cubby.
I've hit the light switch several times. Not once since I put the drop steps on. Much easier to get in now without bumping it.
Sponsored