Wandering Steering

RangerDangerXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I'm experiencing an issue that I can only describe as wandering steering. While driving on a straight road, the truck will start to wander in the lane to the left or to the right. The direction is seemingly random as it does not consistently pull either direction. This happens while holding the wheel straight ahead and the steering wheel doesn't necessarily move when this happens. It's noticeable at speeds above around 35 mph and really noticeable at highway/interstate speeds (65-75 mph). The driver is then forced to counter steer and the cycle continues. I don't use the lane-keeping system because it kicks in to correct the wander so often at high speeds.

This isn't extreme like with a vehicle that's badly out of alignment. It's a slight wander to the left/right and only requires a slight correction but it happens so often that it becomes very annoying and makes driving long distances on straight roads very unenjoyable. I'm used to my Fusion (2016) where I can just hold the wheel straight and it goes straight with no wandering whatsoever.

Took it to the dealership, they said the alignment was perfect and that nothing is wrong with the truck and that's just how it drives. I searched the forums and can't find anyone complaining about this. I saw one thread about wandering steering but the poster said it was only on certain highway surfaces (excessive grooves) and not all the time. Wanting to see if it is just my Ranger or if I'm just not used to driving a truck.

Do any of you experience this problem, or is it just how the Ranger's drive?
Sponsored

Mick Carlson

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I'm experiencing an issue that I can only describe as wandering steering. While driving on a straight road, the truck will start to wander in the lane to the left or to the right. The direction is seemingly random as it does not consistently pull either direction. This happens while holding the wheel straight ahead and the steering wheel doesn't necessarily move when this happens. It's noticeable at speeds above around 35 mph and really noticeable at highway/interstate speeds (65-75 mph). The driver is then forced to counter steer and the cycle continues. I don't use the lane-keeping system because it kicks in to correct the wander so often at high speeds.

This isn't extreme like with a vehicle that's badly out of alignment. It's a slight wander to the left/right and only requires a slight correction but it happens so often that it becomes very annoying and makes driving long distances on straight roads very unenjoyable. I'm used to my Fusion (2016) where I can just hold the wheel straight and it goes straight with no wandering whatsoever.

Took it to the dealership, they said the alignment was perfect and that nothing is wrong with the truck and that's just how it drives. I searched the forums and can't find anyone complaining about this. I saw one thread about wandering steering but the poster said it was only on certain highway surfaces (excessive grooves) and not all the time. Wanting to see if it is just my Ranger or if I'm just not used to driving a truck.

It’s the fact that you’re in control of a motor vehicle. If this disturbs you in any way, please stay home and don’t drive anymore.

OP
OP

RangerDangerXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
It’s the fact that you’re in control of a motor vehicle. If this disturbs you in any way, please stay home and don’t drive anymore.
This isn't the first vehicle I've ever driven. I've driven many cars and SUVs and never experienced what I have described.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
This isn't the first vehicle I've ever driven. I've driven many cars and SUVs and never experienced what I have described.
Bawaaa, their is a dingle in every post, I'm sure Mick was just pulling your big toe. I have noticed this as well. Seems to be from the soft suspension. I've gotten used to it.

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
My Ranger does not wander while holding the steering wheel nor does any of my past vehicles do that if I take my hands off it well wander a short time after take my hands off the wheel depends on the road condition and the shape it is in but it does not dive to the right or left quickly. Some roads that one drives on requires more attention to the vehicles drivability but has nothing to do with the steering.
I have had trucks that have wandered while holding the wheel straight ahead and the dealer fixed the issue, the same truck also dived hard to either side with hands off the wheel but mostly to the right.
If your concerned take it to the dealer and tell them what your little beauty is doing.
Have a tech drive it with you on a ride along or the tech riding with you.
My dealer solved the problem that way with my new 2000 truck

1105191016b_Burst01.jpg

Last edited:

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
I've noticed that the stock Bridgestone Dueler AS's are pretty bad on (what's that word for parallel?) grooved concrete. Not as severe as radials hunting around on a steel grate bridge, but pretty annoying at times. Good thing a lot of asphalt gets used around here.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase

Has this vehicle been altered from stock in any way shape or form?

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Some roads have a lot of "crown" to them to dispel water. Could that be it or maybe your tires aren't inflated to the same pressure??

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
Some roads have a lot of "crown" to them to dispel water. Could that be it or maybe your tires aren't inflated to the same pressure??
It took me awhile to finally drop my tires by about 8 PSI, and now I wonder how much that may have contributed to the behavior I noted. In typical fashion, the more I drive the truck the more the norms change. Maybe I'll shut up now.

OP
OP

RangerDangerXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Has this vehicle been altered from stock in any way shape or form?
Truck is completely stock. Also, tires are at 35 PSI all around. I've read that running the tires a tad under-inflated can help but I haven't tried that yet.

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Truck is completely stock. Also, tires are at 35 PSI all around. I've read that running the tires a tad under-inflated can help but I haven't tried that yet.
That is what I run in all my midsize trucks and that level is the best in my experience but you should also make sure all tires are the same or within a pound
so all cover the same road surface.
I remember one time a tire store put different pressures in all four tires and the van wouldn't drive worth beans in a 400 mile trip I was on, after I arrived I had them adjusted to the same psi all around and the thing drove really well on my trip back home.
Just a few thoughts Al.

1028190843a.jpg

!cid_D35E8C0B02AF4C1980DC5FBB73C5DBBE@dmclmcPC.png

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Mine doesn't wander at all. I have my tires at the recommended 30psi

Mick Carlson

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
To the OP - I reread my response to your post and realized how rude I was - I wanted to apologize for that. I had just been reading through a post that must have been made by a troll, and I guess I was thinking you might be one as well... I see you're not after reading further and just feel bad about how I responded. Anyway, I paid close attention on my drive to and from work today (about 50 miles round trip) and I didn't notice a wandering issue with my Ranger. Obviously if I take my hands off the wheel the crown of the road will cause it to wander. But not any more than any other vehicle I've had. Definitely would be a good idea to have it checked out - maybe a defective steering box, or something left untightened in the front end...? Could be dangerous though and should be looked at.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
What did you own previously? If you went from a very tight steering car to the Ranger, it will feel a bit looser than a smaller car or CUV. I went from a very tight steering car to the Ranger and it took a good week of driving before it became the "new norm".
Sponsored