Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone determined a fix?. Has anyone replaced the high pressure fuel pump seals to see if it worked?. Just wondering. Mine only has 200 miles on it so far. Going to change the oil at 2500 miles the i will start to monitor it from there. I feel, I need to get through the break in period first.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Stephen Abbene

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.notion.so
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger fx4 xlt, 1988 ford ranger 4x4 xlt
My oil spelled like gas and was above the full hole and smelled like gas when I checked it So I took it to the dealership at 3k miles and asked them to change the oil and mentioned that. I also asked them to take a sample. I got the results back this week and it said I had 3% fuel dilution. I called the dealer back and they asked me to drive another 3k miles and do another oil change and sample. They say if it comes back high again they will take the truck and do some testing.

6E8AE8CA-ADAE-4758-9D3D-979081ABB9D1.jpeg

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
My oil spelled like gas and was above the full hole and smelled like gas when I checked it So I took it to the dealership at 3k miles and asked them to change the oil and mentioned that. I also asked them to take a sample. I got the results back this week and it said I had 3% fuel dilution. I called the dealer back and they asked me to drive another 3k miles and do another oil change and sample. They say if it comes back high again they will take the truck and do some testing.
Could it have been high on your dip stick from the start? The crankcase capacity is 6.2 quarts and with 3% fuel dilution that would correspond to .186 of a quart. Seems like that amount of fuel in your oil would be almost undetectable on your dip stick.

Stephen Abbene

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.notion.so
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger fx4 xlt, 1988 ford ranger 4x4 xlt
Could it have been high on your dip stick from the start? The crankcase capacity is 6.2 quarts and with 3% fuel dilution that would correspond to .186 of a quart. Seems like that amount of fuel in your oil would be almost undetectable on your dip stick.
I checked it after letting it sit on level ground all night.

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s a 2000 mile oil change interval..Regards

View attachment 33459

9B627E49-8501-4433-90DC-C35EA1D58CE2.jpeg

0160016A-84B4-42ED-9C8F-18D1A196D6DD.jpeg

Very informative--A baseline to compare against, is very important to solve any problem. You say 2000 mile oil change--is this the first??

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Very informative--A baseline to compare against, is very important to solve any problem. You say 2000 mile oil change--is this the first??
No the 3rd...I change it before I go to the track..but that was 2000 miles with no track time.
Regards
Doc

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
Keep seeing mentions of the fuel dilution being normal in "small turbocharged engines". Well here is a analysis of an 8500 mi interval done on 17 Focus st (stage 3 FBO with stratified tune)

Notice how the fuel dilution only came up as trace? so how is it that Rangers are consistently coming in at 1.5, 2 and sometimes even higher fuel dilution. I don't buy all at that it is "normal" something is going on that wasn't going on in my ST. And i'd like to know what. Im running this exact oil in my Ranger currently only ill be changing it at 5k this time and sending in for analysis to compare to the ST.

Thoughts?

FOCUS ST OIL SAMPLE.jpg

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Keep seeing mentions of the fuel dilution being normal in "small turbocharged engines". Well here is a analysis of an 8500 mi interval done on 17 Focus st (stage 3 FBO with stratified tune)

Notice how the fuel dilution only came up as trace? so how is it that Rangers are consistently coming in at 1.5, 2 and sometimes even higher fuel dilution. I don't buy all at that it is "normal" something is going on that wasn't going on in my ST. And i'd like to know what. Im running this exact oil in my Ranger currently only ill be changing it at 5k this time and sending in for analysis to compare to the ST.

Thoughts?

FOCUS ST OIL SAMPLE.jpg
Yeah it's definitely an issue unique to the Ranger's 2.3, and doesn't seem to be shared with the STs or Mustangs. Yet another reason to suspect an accessory as the culprit, most likely the high pressure fuel pump.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
This thread has been open since October. These engines should have exploded like a grenade by now. Anyone have any feed back from Ford or a dealership other than observation of the oil level and sniffing for fuel?

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
This thread has been open since October. These engines should have exploded like a grenade by now. Anyone have any feed back from Ford or a dealership other than observation of the oil level and sniffing for fuel?
I change my oil every 1500 miles so that it doesn't cause any long term damage. The damage would really manifest itself over the long term, not over a few months... The ignorant who don't check their oil or send it in for analysis won't realize anything is wrong probably until warranty is up.

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
I change my oil every 1500 miles so that it doesn't cause any long term damage. The damage would really manifest itself over the long term, not over a few months... The ignorant who don't check their oil or send it in for analysis won't realize anything is wrong probably until warranty is up.
9 k miles .oil changed at 4500 and 9k. no rise in level no noticeable smell in oil .oil was sorta still golden with the second oil change. I am thinking most don't have this worry .

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
9 k miles .oil changed at 4500 and 9k. no rise in level no noticeable smell in oil .oil was sorta still golden with the second oil change. I am thinking most don't have this worry .
That's good for you. Not saying that this affects every single Ranger. But if it anyone does find this issue, it would be prudent to change your oil far more frequently than is normally recommended. After just 1800 miles my oil was infact nearly 15% fuel, based on volume drained. The actual oil analysis won't measure over 5%. There is definitely a problem.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Is the percentage on the test supposed to be under for fuel dilution based on any miles?
Looks like they all say 2%.

So if those taking sending their oil in at like 2000 miles and it shows safe levels like 1.5 really is not?
Because at that rate at 4000 miles it would be 3 percent and 6000 miles it would be 4.5 which is high.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Could this not be caused by the extra fat oil cooler which would keep the oil too cold to "offgas" the dissolved fuel? Maybe run that engine a bit harder and see if it helps keep the fule % down. That may have already been mentioned and debunked, but it seems like a viable cause.
Sponsored