Recommended Engine Break-in Period

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Going off the manual, from page 213, what Ford recommends for breaking-in the engine is pretty self-explanatory.

"Avoid driving too fast during the first 1,000 mi (1,500 km). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine."

Is there anything else we should be doing to ease the engine break-in process?

2019-Ford-Ranger-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_10_2018-216.png
Sponsored

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
most recommend avoid full throttle starts

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I drove my new F150 like a bat out of hell from day one and 40k miles later it's great :like:

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
The Ford tracking site has my delivery as 1/20. I am leaving on a 1200 mile, one way, highway trip approx. 5 days after that. I would love to drive the new truck but it will not be practical to get very many miles on it before I leave. Any opinion on driving a new vehicle at highway speeds for extended times with under 1000 miles on it?

kep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
drive some at 60, some at 65, some at 70. Just vary the speeds and you will be alright.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
I honestly drove the piss out of my Fiesta ST from the night I took delivery. It has about 20k miles on it and I still drive it like I hate it. I've heard two schools of thought with engine break in. Some recommend to baby it and go through a whole ritual of not over 3k rpm, no more than 60 mph, always vary speed, etc. I've also heard it recommended that you drive it like you would normally drive it to break it in to the way it would be day to day. I've owned cars and put over 100k miles on many and I've done it both ways and never noticed a difference. I just know it was a lot more fun to break in the car when I wasn't in the right lane flagging grandma to pass me in her Grand Marquis.

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
Appreciate the replies. Thanks.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I honestly drove the piss out of my Fiesta ST from the night I took delivery. It has about 20k miles on it and I still drive it like I hate it. I've heard two schools of thought with engine break in. Some recommend to baby it and go through a whole ritual of not over 3k rpm, no more than 60 mph, always vary speed, etc. I've also heard it recommended that you drive it like you would normally drive it to break it in to the way it would be day to day. I've owned cars and put over 100k miles on many and I've done it both ways and never noticed a difference. I just know it was a lot more fun to break in the car when I wasn't in the right lane flagging grandma to pass me in her Grand Marquis.
Agreed. I've always been told to drive it like you mean it the first few thousand miles. Any issues should become apparent then

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
I have always followed the the break in procedure outlined by Lycoming aircraft engines and that is to heat cycle them. At 20000 feet who are are you going to believe this or your friend If your buddy tells you to run it like you stole it you're a moron and he's an idiot.

Last edited:

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
drive some at 60, some at 65, some at 70. Just vary the speeds and you will be alright.
This - just vary the speed. I broke in my '00 Miata SE doing this five days after purchase, driving up I-95. 15-20 minutes at each speed on cruise control. I'd pass some cars, later they'd pass me. The 4 cyl engine has 226K on it now, not a single problem.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
How does one "labor" an engine.
Generally means you run the transmission in a higher gear than it should be in. Common in manual transmissions when you fail to downshift and the engine can't keep the rpms up for the load it is encountering.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I have always followed the the break in procedure outlined by Lycoming aircraft engines and that is to heat cycle them. At 20000 feet who are are you going to believe this or your friend If your buddy tells you to run it like you stole it you're a moron and he's an idiot.