Report your MPG

Deleted member 1634

Highway MPG... stock Lariat Crew 4x4 vs with ARE Topper, bigger BFG tires.. that said I get about 18.5/19mpg city and some highway daily driving.

Screenshot_20200214-061706_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200214-061811_Gallery.jpg
Did you notice any change, good or bad, from adding the topper?
Sponsored

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I think the topper with the Yakima rack hurt the MPG. But honestly most of it is probably the bigger/knobby tires

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
FX4 SuperCab 91 Octane Fuel. 25 mpg average over 4,671 miles / 116:46 hours

001.JPG

Yamahauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Electric Blue
FX4 SuperCab 91 Octane Fuel. 25 mpg average over 4,671 miles / 116:46 hours

001.JPG
Damn! Makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong. Lifetime sitting at 18.9 for ~2500 miles right now. Granted a lot of that is stop and go city driving.

Deleted member 1634

I think the topper with the Yakima rack hurt the MPG. But honestly most of it is probably the bigger/knobby tires
Hmm, okay. I wouldn't be surprised for the bigger tires and roof rack to negatively affect mileage. A clean topper by itself I'm just not sure on is all. But good to know, thanks!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Damn! Makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong. Lifetime sitting at 18.9 for ~2500 miles right now. Granted a lot of that is stop and go city driving.
Do you use sport mode much?

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
Don't trust the computer. My hand calculations is an average of 1.2mpg less than what the computer says.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Yep. My computer is always a mile or so a gallon OVER the real MPG. Also, adding the camper to my truck didn't change the mileage one way or another. They only weigh around 150-200 pounds so realistically it's just like having another human in the truck. That's not going to change much.

Deleted member 1634

Yep. My computer is always a mile or so a gallon OVER the real MPG. Also, adding the camper to my truck didn't change the mileage one way or another. They only weigh around 150-200 pounds so realistically it's just like having another human in the truck. That's not going to change much.
I guess I wasn't too concerned about the added weight of the topper, but more the change in profile. The air is going to depart the rear end of the truck differently with and without a topper. A large blunt edge at the back isn't the most efficient, that's why a lot of aerodynamically efficient objects have a teardrop shape to help prevent turbulent air at the rear. I just wasn't sure if that change was going to have an appreciable affect. Sounds like it doesn't, so that's good!

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Myth Busters did a show on this topic I believe. They didn't see an improvement with the tonneau cover vs off. But.. the tailgate down did show a decrease in mileage. IMO the aerodynamic gain by a topper is offset by the added weight. Also I do believe that the drag caused by the roof rack is significant. I've seen a decrease with my ARE w/roof rack. Just an observation but the Rangers with the best MPG on here are are basically stock 4x2s.

Deleted member 1634

Myth Busters did a show on this topic I believe. They didn't see an improvement with the tonneau cover vs off. But.. the tailgate down did show a decrease in mileage. IMO the aerodynamic gain by a topper is offset by the added weight. Also I do believe that the drag caused by the roof rack is significant. I've seen a decrease with my ARE w/roof rack. Just an observation but the Rangers with the best MPG on here are are basically stock 4x2s.
I'm sure that the roof racks are the real cause. That's a pretty obvious one. And I wouldn't figure the topper would affect the mileage much at all. If anything it may lower it slightly with the large blunt rear end, which is not aerodynamically ideal. But I have a feeling it'll be within the normal noise.

On the other note, I have been able to get a fairly consistent mid to upper 20s for highway mpg when clean (no racks or trailer) in my FX4. So I'm not too worried. Just don't want it to take me out of the running for highest MPG. haha

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Did a 3 hour trip average speed around 70-75, got up to 22.7 MPG. Used the cruise control 90% of the time. This is the best I have gotten on the truck so far and have had it since February 11th and on the 2nd fill up on my own.this picture was taken on a backroad at 45mph speed limit.

A02DCA08-43B9-4EA6-89AC-EFAF75044B1F.jpeg
How do I find the computer MPG...I've tried to the point of running off the road or giving up.

Thanks

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
That is my lifetime average right now also. I find it however a huge difference between highway and city. Probably because on the highway I just set the cruise and in the city, at every stop light I get on the gas pretty hard.

Highway only, just commuting to work with no running around town at all, I get 23.

But bumming around town for an entire weekend, I get an utterly dismal 14 mpg.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone else getting terrible city mileage? I get 20-22 avg if I'm hitting the highway, or faster (30mph+) roads, but a lot of my driving is around boston, where it's stop and go in traffic, and lots of lights.

I don't have a heavy foot, and rarely rev out above 2k, yet im getting abysmal mileage on short trips in traffic. Just clocked 13mpg average today.
Do you sit and idle at stoplights? That will kill your mileage quickly.

This is mine, only about the last month worth of data. The first two tanks here were with the Uhaul car trailer and then with the trailer + 3700lb SUV. I'm averaging ~19.9MPG so far, and I spend ~1 hour in traffic on the highway in stop and go each way to/from work 5 days/week and city driving otherwise.

The dash seems to show ~ 1.1mpg with factory settings on average.

2020-02-20 13_24_34-Window.png
Sponsored