BF Goodrich to Bridgestone Duelers.....night and day

dngr-rngr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 1996 SVT Cobra
I have no affiliation with any tire guys either.... I'm just a regular guy hanging out in U-Taw! (definitely not as cool as "Phuket" tho!)

I put BFG KO2 LT275/70R17 on my truck immediately after purchase and have never looked back. The tires have an excellent ride on pavement (both wet & dry) and have never let me down in snow/dirt/mud, etc.

I rarely actually "need" to use 4WD (2WD gets me thru most stuff) but when in 4WD, the Ranger performs like a "snow-cat"! (it can get pretty crazy in the canyons here)

Sure, it's mostly the truck doing the "heavy-lifting".... but where the rubber-meets-the-road, I would definitely give the BFG's a solid thumbs up. :like:

IMG_6379.jpeg

Oh, did I mention how damn good they look? :rockon:
Does that fit without any lift? Agreed, they look awesome :like:

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I put BFG KO2 LT275/70R17 on my truck immediately after purchase and have never looked back. The tires have an excellent ride on pavement (both wet & dry) and have never let me down in snow/dirt/mud, etc.

I rarely actually "need" to use 4WD (2WD gets me thru most stuff) but when in 4WD, the Ranger performs like a "snow-cat"! (it can get pretty crazy in the canyons here)

Sure, it's mostly the truck doing the "heavy-lifting".... but where the rubber-meets-the-road, I would definitely give the BFG's a solid thumbs up. :like:
I agree this truck does really well in 4WD - the traction control and terrain modes keep things going in conditions that would be more challenging in our older Ranger. But I think the tires do still make a difference,. I've never had Duelers, so I won't enter that debate, but we have KO2s on our old Ranger, and in snow/ice where our greatest need for traction is, the KO2s do hold better than the Hankooks that came on the truck. My inclination is to change tires before next winter.

Like @Discount Tire said, there are a lot of trade-offs, including noise and tread wear. The reality is that in the end, despite wanting reasonable performance on low-traction surfaces, we do most of our driving on pavement, and on our old truck the KO2s were a reasonable balance. Nevertheless, with all of the experience people have here, I'll probably read a bit more and look at some other options as well.

Last edited:

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
I have the Bridgestone HT (highway tread) tires and they work fine on the street, but in almost any use but especially wet caliche like is on many job sites, they are functionally worthless. They will load up instantly and not clear out. So I ordered BF Goodrich AT KO2s in stock size. I have used these tires on a couple other trucks and never had any problem at all stopping in rain, heavy or light.

Very concerned now hearing some voice concerns about running in rain and stopping safely.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I changed the tires on my 2018 Ranger from BF Goodrich to Bridgestone Duelers............it's like day and night. I rarely drive off road but the Goodrich tires in both wet and dry conditions were a nightmare to stop on the tarmac............Since putting on the Dualers my confidence level is back to where it should be. If anyone else is having issues stopping with the BF Goodrich take a look at the Duelers.

I have no affiliation with any of these tire guys I'm just a regular guy hanging out in Phuket
IMG_20191129_082506.jpg
IMG_20191129_082514.jpg
IMG_20191203_092006.jpg
IMG_20190921_092449.jpeg

Neil
I was stationed at Ubon in 1971..SawaHowdycup..:)
Regards

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
They looked great on my truck...........they just wouldn’t stop me when I hit the brakes.
Neil
Will prolly cancel on the order for the BFG AT KO2s because they also weigh 50 pounds which will likely drop off at least a mpg if not more, and cause braking is pretty important too. I don't do a huge amount of driving off-road, mainly just on a job site and this usage would be under 2% of the time. So I really should get tires that are more appropriate for the driving I REALLY DO. Looking good does not matter as much if those tires get me in an accident on wet rainy streets. I have run these tires on my dodge diesel and my F250 but both those trucks were in the 8000 lb range, while the ranger is a tiny little truck and maybe that affects the way these tires work in rain? Also, I don't think a load range E tire is necessary for these little wannabe trucks either. If I was running on real technical trails all the time, totally different scenario then.

SO here is what I am considering:
Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar
Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 3

All in stock 265-60-18 size. The Michelin tires are street tires, but I have run those for several hundred thousand miles on several other trucks over the years, and they have been hands down the best tires I have ever used. With the near-total street and highway usage of this truck, it is likely that the Michelins would be the correct choice, except that they won't work at all in sloppy muddy job sites. But then I am not sure any of the all terrains will really do much better, so getting what would work best for the 98% of the time seems to be the best solution.

rojizostang

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger xlt 4x4 sport, 2017 Ford Explorer limited, 2013 Ford F150 RCSB Roush tvs supercharged
I bought a set of new take off Bridgestone (Alenzas iirc) and 20" platinum wheels to put on my '13 f150 to replace the stock 18'' wheels. Granted these aren't an all terrain tire, however the brand new Bridgestones wouldn't get my truck up a wet boat ramp with the boat on the trailer in any way shape or form. (this is a 2wd truck). After I had someone tow me up the boat ramp, I went directly to discount tire and had a new set of Michelins installed. After the Michelins were installed, the truck would go up the boat ramp like a rocket ship.

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Monsoons and very heavy rain huh? Siping them may have helped. Glad your pleased with you Bridgestone duelers

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
https://www.tirerack.com/survey/Sur...Make=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2

Hundreds of reviews on BFG AT KO2s in here. What is amazing to me is that around half of the reviews claim these tires just suck totally, and the other half claim they are the best tire that ever graced terra firma. I just do not understand how there can be such a wide range of opinions expressed about a tire. Either they ALL should be good, or they ALL should be terrible.

Anyway, I decided not to put these on my truck. I am going with the Michelin LTX MS street tires. I really don't go offroad very much at all, these tires weigh 50 lbs and so will kill my gas mileage, and the looks just aren't worth it to me. If I was so concerned about looks, I would drive a 1-ton ford lifted with big tires etc. I just want to get to work spending as little as possible on gas, and be able to pull my boat. The little Ranger does that ok. Reading those reviews was just crazy. There were a bunch of them that referenced inappropriate behavior in rain, going out of balance, just a whole range of bad stuff, then right after that, would be some guy saying he has had four sets of the best tire ever made, and was buying the fifth set blah blah blah. It seems impossible to have so many divergent views on these tires. Oh well.

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)
https://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?category=tire&additionalComments=Y&commentStatus=P&tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2

Hundreds of reviews on BFG AT KO2s in here. What is amazing to me is that around half of the reviews claim these tires just suck totally, and the other half claim they are the best tire that ever graced terra firma. I just do not understand how there can be such a wide range of opinions expressed about a tire. Either they ALL should be good, or they ALL should be terrible.

Anyway, I decided not to put these on my truck. I am going with the Michelin LTX MS street tires. I really don't go offroad very much at all, these tires weigh 50 lbs and so will kill my gas mileage, and the looks just aren't worth it to me. If I was so concerned about looks, I would drive a 1-ton ford lifted with big tires etc. I just want to get to work spending as little as possible on gas, and be able to pull my boat. The little Ranger does that ok. Reading those reviews was just crazy. There were a bunch of them that referenced inappropriate behavior in rain, going out of balance, just a whole range of bad stuff, then right after that, would be some guy saying he has had four sets of the best tire ever made, and was buying the fifth set blah blah blah. It seems impossible to have so many divergent views on these tires. Oh well.
Keith, I feel your pain! Reviews can drive you crazy as there are WAY too many variables in those 500+ reviews on Tire Rack. The vehicles range from SUV's to Pickups 4X4's, 4X2's, to Jeeps, etc. Also the type of driving and region is wide spread. (as expected)

One thing that nobody (that I read) mentions is tire pressure? I run mine at 38psi (BFG KO2 LT275/70R17). From everything I read, I settled on that number. I do plan on "chalking" my tires (when the weather gets better) to either confirm that 38psi is good or adjust accordingly.

I'm certainly no tire expert, but I have to think tire pressure might be the single most important variable in proper performance? Maybe the good folks at Discount Tire could chime in with their expertise in this area?

But I have no complaints with my current set up and as I said before, I've driven in just about every imaginable weather issue, both on and off road.

Oh, and one final comment.... on my current tank of gas (I run Costco Premium) I'm at 22.4mpg thru the first 1/3 tank of typical driving. (around town & up/down the canyons) I don't really track my mileage, but I think that's a pretty fair MPG, right?

Keith, good luck with your tire selection, I don't think there is a "bad" choice for our trucks! :like:

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
22.4 is about as good as it is gonna get IMHO. Originally this whole ordeal was about the stock tires gumming up badly on slick muddy caliche. Then researching, found the BFG weigh 50 lbs/tire, and went straight down from there. All that bad feedback, and I just decided to go with the Michelin Defender LTX MS which I KNOW is a great tire. Apparently there are no good AT tires made. Every one I read reviews on had both good and terrible reviews, some with a lot more bad reviews than good. Since I drive about 99% of the time on the highway, going with Michelins. 4wd is for pulling boat out from steep ramps mainly.

I really hate tire reviews. I think they are largely worthless. And I really did want those BFG AT KO2s. Damn it.

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?category=tire&additionalComments=Y&commentStatus=P&tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2

weight of the tire has very little effect on mpgs compared to the heavy foot

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I just had my oil changed the 1st of February with less than 3000 on the clock and the mpg went from 17.3 city to 19,3 city.
I have always heard for many years that oil changes can increase the mpgs but I believe this is the first time I have experience it.
After oil changes I also check the stick to make sure the tech did not overfill , I have had some put 1 quart or more extra into the pan, and then I make them dump it out to read at the full mark not past it, I don't want to have seals going out because the tech doesn't think it matters. It may take years for overfilling to blow the seals but by then the warranty is up and I or the next owner will have to foot the bill for the repair that is needed.

1105191016b_Burst01.jpg
Sponsored