Spray In , Drop In, Factory Which bed are you?

Spray In , Drop In, Factory Which bed are you?

• Total voters

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
My XLT came with a Ford factory drop in plastic liner, it was free, it's still in good condition, so in it stays!

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
My truck came with a dealer-installed drop-in liner. I intalled a Softopper today and decided to pull the plastic drop-in liner before I did, and after seeing the bed, I'm glad I did.

The plastic liner had worn through the paint down to bare metal in several areas. The irony is that, had the liner (which is supposed to protect the bed) not been installed, my bed wouldn't have damage :facepalm: (I realize this isn't the end of the world, just stating an ironic observation)

Oh well though, I'll probably look into a spray-in liner once it warms up. For the meantime, my Tacoma bed-mat will do lol

20200216_104628.jpg
20200216_104622.jpg
20200216_141004.jpg

Also, I may or may not have a factory drop-in liner for sale :bandit:

NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
My truck came with a dealer-installed drop-in liner. I intalled a Softopper today and decided to pull the plastic drop-in liner before I did, and after seeing the bed, I'm glad I did.

The plastic liner had worn through the paint down to bare metal in several areas. The irony is that, had the liner (which is supposed to protect the bed) not been installed, my bed wouldn't have damage :facepalm: (I realize this isn't the end of the world, just stating an ironic observation)

Oh well though, I'll probably look into a spray-in liner once it warms up. For the meantime, my Tacoma bed-mat will do lol

20200216_104628.jpg
20200216_104622.jpg
20200216_141004.jpg

Also, I may or may not have a factory drop-in liner for sale :bandit:
Just a side note, I took mine out and swapped for a spray in. You'll need new tailgate screws when you get the tailgate sprayed proving your dealer didn'tsave the originals. The screws for the tailgate drop in do not have built in washers. Also the drop in liner piece has 8 screws so you'll have two empty screw holes since there are 10 in the tailgate. I ended up ordering from Ford the HS2 screw part for the tailgate assembly. Needed 3 packs to get 10 screws

stevensc

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 XLT
Occupation
Retired seller of Sugar Cane Equipment
Just a side note, I took mine out and swapped for a spray in. You'll need new tailgate screws when you get the tailgate sprayed proving your dealer didn'tsave the originals. The screws for the tailgate drop in do not have built in washers. Also the drop in liner piece has 8 screws so you'll have two empty screw holes since there are 10 in the tailgate. I ended up ordering from Ford the HS2 screw part for the tailgate assembly. Needed 3 packs to get 10 screws

stevensc

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 XLT
Occupation
Retired seller of Sugar Cane Equipment
What needs to be done prior to spraying? I am asking about the open threaded holes, the tie down brackets, and the rubber sealing plugs that are stuck into oval holes in the bulkhead and sidewalls.? If LineX, or another, what do they do?
Thanks!
Steve W

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
What needs to be done prior to spraying? I am asking about the open threaded holes, the tie down brackets, and the rubber sealing plugs that are stuck into oval holes in the bulkhead and sidewalls.? If LineX, or another, what do they do?
Thanks!
Steve W
All I've ever heard anybody mention is that they have to scrub up the paint quite a bit. Don't know if there are any additional steps.

Gone Blue

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT 4X4 Ingot Silver
I had factory spray in bed liner with my last truck, a Chevy Colorado. Real durable no issues. Since my Ranger had nothing in the bed when I bought it, I was debating to go with a sprayed on bedliner or a plastic drop -in. Then I stumbled across a used Ford drop-in liner close to home for $100. Easy decision. G.B.

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks!
Steve W
What I done was to find bolts that fit in the bolt holes - They are metric and I can't remember for sure but I think they are M5 for the tailgate and M6 for the bed up at the cab - and put them in the holes. I told the installer not to remove them as I wanted access to the holes after they sprayed. So they just wrapped the head of the bolt with tape. I used Allen bolts instead of Hex head. The rest of the holes and the rubber plugs I didn't worry with. You can probably have them tape them off or removed if you don't want them sprayed. I had my tie downs sprayed also as it didn't matter to me I am not going to remove them, but I have seen them that were not sprayed.

NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks!
Steve W
So before I got mine sprayed (Rhino Liner), I removed my drop in bed liner and the liner piece that goes over the tailgate. I took the 8 screws and screwed them into the metal tailgate piece that gives you access to the rear camera housing. Then I added 2 of my own screws and some washers until the factory Ford ones I ordered came in. I made sure that I removed my tonneau cover completely including the bulkhead seals. My sprayer took care of the tie downs and made sure not to cover any access holes in the bed. He reinstalled the tie towns after spraying. My sprayer sprayed right over the rubber oval pieces. His reason was they would be hard to insert after spraying as the thickness makes the hole smaller. Hope this helps.

Deuce

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Drop in liner for me. I've had several over the years and never had any issues.

NCRANGER

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My dealer had already added the Line-X spray-in bed liner to the vehicle on the lot before it was purchased. Saved me the trouble of doing this after purchase. I'm happy with it and no issues.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Mine came with the Ford plastic liner and I toyed with the idea of pulling it and getting LineX... but now that I've been hauling all kinds of crap from/to the farm I'm happy with the ugly assed liner for now. Down the road maybe I'll update (bed rails need refreshing some day plus the wolfhaus 12V adapter needs going in) but I'm really abusing the bed now.

dano42

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Ranger Lariat Tremor, 2018 BMW X5
Occupation
Retired!
Line-X. When I first had it done, it developed bubbles after about a month. I took it back, and he pulled it all out by hand and resprayed it, no questions asked. I guess he was having problems with the machine. No problems now.

ScottyT

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I will do spray in whenever I take delivery.
Sponsored