John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I maybe dating myself with the title - but there are times I like to drop the shifter to S - and when the light goes green - drive like I stole the truck. This truck just gets up and moves very quickly and you get to see the beauty of this powertrain - that transmission takes you right to redline and then shifts so smoothly. I do like that - MPG be damned
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I've noticed that the truck is quicker than it feels.

I'm guessing a lot of that is due to the 10 speed automatic always keeping it in the right gear.

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 HO V8 that has a few mods.

Seat-of-the-pants you would swear it is quicker since it explodes off the line with all the V8 torque and AWD.

Watching the speedo I would swear the Ranger is quicker.

While the seat-of-the-pants meter says it's quick, it is nice to see it wind the speedometer needle like a clock.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I maybe dating myself with the title - but there are times I like to drop the shifter to S - and when the light goes green - drive like I stole the truck. This truck just gets up and moves very quickly and you get to see the beauty of this powertrain - that transmission takes you right to redline and then shifts so smoothly. I do like that - MPG be damned
I'll do this on more than one occasion because my Tacoma wouldn't get out of it's own way and it's just fun to do. :D I don't think I've ever had a tranny that shifted so smoothly,it's like glass. You're right the mpg's take a big hit,you can actually watch them go down pretty fast.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I do it once in a while (show off) but am too mindful of killing my milage majority of the time:)

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I like to do this once in a while, but most of the time the traffic won't allow it so I drive reasonable.:sunglasses:

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
I generally go to Atlanta GA and "borrow" a white Ranger late at night to get my fix of driving it like I stole it...
Great to hear, but I'm wondering where you can go in North Georgia where there's not a police car hidden from view!

Reactions: Doc

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
This PU fulfills my need for a fun to drive car with an added storage in the rear... Who'da thunk? Still smiling nearly 6 months later when I stick my foot in it... *Another old saying. :^)

OP
OP
John Lyman

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I love it like today when there is a hole on 285 here in Atlanta and clear roads ahead - push the petal all the way down and off you go like a little rocket.

I should also say I do my best to stay close the speed limit on side streets - but it is nice having 45 and 55 MPH streets and getting up to speed while most cars are still trying to get through the intersection.

This fun engine and transmission have been great and gives a smile every time I put the pedal to the metal

jeb134

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Around town, I'll drive pretty conservatively unless I'm getting on the freeway and have some room. However, when I was able to go on some trails a few weeks ago I drove it like the Ford Engineers wanted it to be and gave it all it could handle in snow, mud, and creek crossings and had a blast finally getting to use all of the fun FX4 features. It's got a few "offroad pinstripes" now but I didn't buy this truck to be a mall crawler.

40649E7B-B9B6-4D39-BF53-EB573A711540.jpeg

JeffM

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Not me, I plan on keeping mine for 7-8 years so really take care of it.

jlmotox

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
On road - drive easy/moderate with a WOT here and there
Off road - drive it like a rental, can't help myself :sunglasses:

Honestly it's kinda of hard to get excited with the on road performance of my truck, It's a turd compared to my fun car... Supercharged Mustang... :like:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Without a doubt the Ranger is no rocket, but it's quick enough to be entertaining.

The Tacoma I tested was a dog and the exact opposite of entertaining.

In my area, a really fast car is useless since as soon as you step on it a soccer mom is going to pull in front of you or you'll top the hill and a dozen bicyclists are clogging the road.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
On road - drive easy/moderate with a WOT here and there
Off road - drive it like a rental, can't help myself :sunglasses:

Honestly it's kinda of hard to get excited with the on road performance of my truck, It's a turd compared to my fun car... Supercharged Mustang... :like:
Sure..rub it in, Ha Ha
Sponsored