Vehicle Showcase

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I am very excited to see what kind of power I can reach on the dyno with bolt ons and tune. The bigger turbo should get us past the tuned mustang and focus numbers easy.

GStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I suppose it’s too much to ask for Ford Performance to release a similar Warranty preserving performance kit and tune for the 2.3L engines on our Rangers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopn...-ecoboost-mustang-tune-is-fina-1787660757/amp
Nah it's not too much to ask at all and would be an easy thing for Ford to offer considering it's the same 2.3L EcoBoost Engine. With Ford expanding its Ford Performance offerings every year to take a slice out of the aftermarket, I bet we see a tune offered for the Ranger too.

The Performance Pack upgrades are so popular with the Mustang guys because they preserve warranty and are an easy tick the box upgrade when ordering. Oh and +70 lb-ft torque doesn't hurt :D

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
I know with my Fiesta ST, Ford offers a Cobb and a Montune performance kit that can add another 40-50 hp and keep your warranty. It's basically a tune and an air intake upgrade.

OP
OP
Randy2400h

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I sent a product suggestion email to the folks at Mishimoto performance about the potential of an aftermarket intercooler for the Ranger. Currently the Mishimoto for the EcoBoost Mustang goes for about $520 on their website and according to the article above is good for around 40 extra ponies. $13 per extra pony is pretty darn good.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I sent a product suggestion email to the folks at Mishimoto performance about the potential of an aftermarket intercooler for the Ranger. Currently the Mishimoto for the EcoBoost Mustang goes for about $520 on their website and according to the article above is good for around 40 extra ponies. $13 per extra pony is pretty darn good.
A lot cheaper than buying 40 horses. That’s for sure.:cwl:

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
I'm confused... an intercooler doesn't actually add horsepower, it just keeps what you have more stable so you don't lose horsepower due to heat soak. What you need to increase power is a tune, intake upgrade, exhaust upgrade, a downpipe and/or a larger turbo.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm confused... an intercooler doesn't actually add horsepower, it just keeps what you have more stable so you don't lose horsepower due to heat soak. What you need to increase power is a tune, intake upgrade, exhaust upgrade, a downpipe and/or a larger turbo.
Well with pushing the power a factory intercooler can’t keep the boost temps down so you will have less dense air which means less power. So in theory an intercooler does add power in that it allows for cooler air and more headroom for adding timing. By itself you could actually see a power increase on the stock tune under hot conditions since the ecu won’t need to pull timing.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Unless you tune the ecu, I still don't believe an intercooler is going to add hp, it's just going to allow you to maintain the power that it already has. Instead of slowly decreasing in power as it heats up, you'll get more consistent pulls. To claim that an intercooler adds 40 hp is as ridiculous as someone on eBay claiming a transistor you can buy for $20 will add 20 hp or my neighbor across the street who has a hemi badge on his Honda Civic thinking that it makes his car look faster.

OP
OP
Randy2400h

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you tune the ecu, I still don't believe an intercooler is going to add hp, it's just going to allow you to maintain the power that it already has. Instead of slowly decreasing in power as it heats up, you'll get more consistent pulls. To claim that an intercooler adds 40 hp is as ridiculous as someone on eBay claiming a transistor you can buy for $20 will add 20 hp or my neighbor across the street who has a hemi badge on his Honda Civic thinking that it makes his car look faster.
I included a link above that has the dyno charts. They break-down how inefficient the stock intercooler is compared the Mitsumoto. I’m not going to argue that a tune and higher flow air intake wouldn’t increase the effectiveness of an performance intercooler. However, anytime air is compressed (regardless of Ambient Air Temperature) there is a significant increase in heat. Pushing hot pressurized air through a more efficient intercooler will allow an even denser air mass to pass to the cylinders. On its way to the cylinders that cooler, denser air mass will pass through the Mass Air Flow sensor, effectively telling the fuel management system to add more fuel to maintain the ratio. It essentially has a similar effect to adding a slightly larger turbo. But it’s more difficult to upgrade the turbo and not include an upgraded intercooler, because now you’e compressing air at a higher psi, and generating significantly more heat to which there is a limit (think Diesel engines compressing air with a fuel mixture until the heat generated causes the fuel to hit its flash point).

Anyway, it’s a moot point for now. Got an email back from Mitsumoto and they indicated they have no plans at this time to manufacture this part for the Ranger, but “thanks for the product suggestion.”

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
There are plenty of other manufacturers. There are a few intercooler upgrades for the F150, so it's just a matter of time. Since there is such a mature market for the 2.3 ecoboost in the Focus RS and the Mustang and this engine is so similar, I am sure we will see an abundance of tunes, bolt ons and the like coming down the pipe over the following year.

OP
OP
Randy2400h

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There are plenty of other manufacturers. There are a few intercooler upgrades for the F150, so it's just a matter of time. Since there is such a mature market for the 2.3 ecoboost in the Focus RS and the Mustang and this engine is so similar, I am sure we will see an abundance of tunes, bolt ons and the like coming down the pipe over the following year.
I hope so. Everyone I know that’s owned an EcoBoost so far has been very pleased. The 2.7L on my Edge Sport has been nothing but reliable and it packs a respectable punch, especially here at 6,600ft above sea level. Ford took a gamble making the EcoBoost line their flagship engines and it has paid in spades.

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
I'm hoping the factory intercooler is already robust enough to not need an upgrade. There has to be a little extra cooling capacity in there to deal with heat loads when towing. Hopefully enough that heat soak isn't as much of an issue as it would be on the Mustang or Focus.
Sponsored