Ford confirms no Ranger Raptor for the United States

sfcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Was just about to post this too. Such a dumb decision, but I bet minds can be changed if there's a strong backlash... look what happened with that almost Mach-1 SUV decision. Gotta let them hear it. :explode:

Raptor Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hoping for US Ranger Raptor
Man that's a bummer... for now. But make your voices known if you want the Ranger Raptor here guys! That's how we got the Ranger back in the NA market in the first place. I bet if they hear enough demand, it'll come. They've already tested it here so you gotta think they were previously considering it for the NA market.

jjmanzano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Per the article: The cost of a Ranger Raptor would be too close to the price of a F150 Raptor (start $50K). Where can you buy a new F150 Raptor for $50K? The cheapest I’ve seen is $69,900.

Does Ford think RR would cut into US sales of F150 Raptor? I wonder if Ford thinks the Ranger Raptor would cheapen the Raptor brand similar to the Mustang II or Bronco II.

Regardless, I’m now looking elsewhere.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
So part of me wonders if this isn't a bit of the Apple approach. Provide no information or information that appears contrary in order to sell more of the existing product before they make it obsolete in a few months. Although in Ford's case it could be a few years.

Sales
Why let the general public know you are planning on a Ranger Raptor? Knowing that a RR was coming would cannibalize Ranger and possibly Bronco sales. Strategically it makes more sense to allow those vehicles to sell well for a year or two and then bring out the RR to bolster the lineup.

R&D
They state R&D cost, but there is already some speculation that the Bronco will be getting a 2.7L EB. Since the Bronco and Ranger share the same platform, the R&D for the engine would essentially be done. They already have the R&D on the suspension side. So what if they wait for the Bronco's R&D to cover what remains?

Cost
The Ranger Raptor wouldn't be that much different than the US spec Ranger. Wider flares and upgraded suspension. Many of the Raptor driving options are available in the Ranger already. The actual increase in cost to produce a RR vs a top-shelf Ranger wouldn't be as much as people speculate. The Raptor isn't the top of the line F-150 either. It would make sense to have an XLT spec Ranger as the RR base. Add in a larger engine, wider flares, the off-road suspension and increase the price to be on par with a maxed out Lariat. Then allow the RR add-ons to increase the price just as with the full size Raptor.

The real question here is if the message front being presented by Ford is legit or if it is a well phrased smokescreen.

smlford

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 SRW, CC diesel, Ranger, 2.3l gas, Porsche 986S
Guys...do any of you remember that Ford Exec's were telling everyone that the Ranger was dead and to just go buy a F-150 and be happy??

The public said otherwise and now we have the Ranger coming in a few months. The RR is becoming available in other countries first (like the Ranger) and has been seen testing here in the US. To not roll it out here in the US after most of the development costs has been spent and not amortize it over as many countries as possible just doesn't make any business sense.

I agree that Ford dropped the ball on bringing the Ranger to the US market and is now playing catch up but hopefully the idiots who made that initial decision are no longer in a position of authority and a more forward thinking group of people are in the driver's seat...so to speak.

Badger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335is
Ranger Raptor is the reason I'm looking at Ford... I can understand a delay between releasing the mainline model and the halo model, that's good business. But withholding the halo model from the largest consumer base of this type of truck seems misguided. Or it's misinformation. Providing the early-adopter fan-base misinformation is not generally a solid long-term play.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Ranger Raptor is the reason I'm looking at Ford... I can understand a delay between releasing the mainline model and the halo model, that's good business. But withholding the halo model from the largest consumer base of this type of truck seems misguided. Or it's misinformation. Providing the early-adopter fan-base misinformation is not generally a solid long-term play.
There is a long article speculating that since the world Ranger is going to be due for a facelift in a few years, Ford will likely wait till the new body style to put a Ranger Raptor out in the US.
Sponsored