Transmission Problem

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max, 2019 Ranger XLT SuperCab, Kawasaki VX 300, Mazda Miata, Damon Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Since day one of my ownership, I’ve been frustrated driving this thing in traffic. Smooth stops are almost impossible for two reasons: First this thing has the worst brake pedal feel since Model T mechanical brakes. Second, the transmission does weird things as the vehicle comes to a stop. As you’re coasting to a stop, the transmission shifts down through the gears all the way to first, which most cars don’t do. Then, when you’re almost stopped, I think the torque converter unlocks and the vehicle surges forward, which can be problematic if you’re close to the car ahead.

Has anyone else noticed this weirdness, or is my truck just broken?
Sponsored

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Since day one of my ownership, I’ve been frustrated driving this thing in traffic. Smooth stops are almost impossible for two reasons: First this thing has the worst brake pedal feel since Model T mechanical brakes. Second, the transmission does weird things as the vehicle comes to a stop. As you’re coasting to a stop, the transmission shifts down through the gears all the way to first, which most cars don’t do. Then, when you’re almost stopped, I think the torque converter unlocks and the vehicle surges forward, which can be problematic if you’re close to the car ahead.

Did you even bother to take a test ride? All of that would be in play for the buyer. Since purchasing my 2016 Tacoma on a whim without a test drive (after owning four of them in the last 15 years), I have learned not to purchase any redesigned vehicle without a long test drive. Consequently, I didn't have the issues you mention although others have the same complaint.

Last edited:

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired

Have never noticed either of those problems. Brake pedal feel is just fine and no issues with transmission down shifts. Have you had your dealer look at it?

OP
OP

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max, 2019 Ranger XLT SuperCab, Kawasaki VX 300, Mazda Miata, Damon Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Have never noticed either of those problems. Brake pedal feel is just fine and no issues with transmission down shifts. Have you had your dealer look at it?
Have not been to dealer yet. Not looking forward to it. Dealer Standard Answer will be “They all do that!” And then I will become increasingly impolite and then the troubles will begin.

Regarding Brake Feel, there are numerous discussions about that on this forum. Trust me, and most of my career was in Brake System Design and Development, there is no excuse for 2-3 inches of pedal travel before braking begins. I suspect this is a brake booster issue but I haven’t had a chance to investigate further. I may ask the dealer to look at it, or I may ask our cat to troubleshoot the problem. Result will be the same either way.

OP
OP

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
in reference to the brakes, it sounds like you're afraid to take control of them. be affirmative, make the truck stop, dont feather them, dont be some light footed pansy. tell the truck you're in charge. the only way it lurches forward is if you're light on the brakes. you feel the downshifts because the gearbox is working for you because you're not braking hard enough. the transmission harshness gets better with time even though I feel its not perfect.

Every vehicle I have driven drives differently and the brakes feel different. I've tossed my takeout onto the floor with a mercedes, i've nearly rear ended someone else.
yeah the common complaint is the brakes are "mushy" but i think thats the wrong description. It takes time to figure these brakes out, but you will. they stop the truck just as good as any other vehicle does.
As I mentioned above, I spent 50 years in brake design and development. I’ve made more high speed, max effort stops on everything from motorcycles to semis than you can imagine. I know how to stop a vehicle and I know crappy brake feel when I see it. And I know when the torque converter unlocks near the end of a stop and lets me lurch forward. Most automatics unlock the converter much earlier in the stop so this doesn’t happen.

As for your pissy “pansy” comment, please be advised that you’re talking to an experienced test driver and design engineer who has done stuff on all sorts of vehicles on test tracks around the world. I’ve done things that would make your hair stand on end. Until you’ve gotten a tractor trailer or a Greyhound bus completely sideways in a panic stop or run panic stops in a passenger car from 140 mph or ridden out failed brakes on a semi at 100mph down Townes Pass into Death Valley, don’t talk to me about “Pansy”..

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
In regards to the brakes: I test drove the Ranger back-to-back with the Colorado, and there was a pretty surprising difference between the two on how the brake petal felt. The Colorado was really touchy, taking very little pressure to jerk to a stop. The Ranger is much more squishy. Honestly I prefer the feel of the Ranger, but could definitely see how others wouldn't share this preference. But I definitely don't have 2-3 inches of travel before I get any engagement of the brake; that seems like something you should have the dealer (or your cat, if you prefer) check out, especially if you can drive other Rangers and show that they don't have the same brake pedal travel.

Regarding the downshifting: Yes, when I'm coming to a stop, the transmission downshifts. It doesn't bother me, probably because I do the exact same shifting when I'm driving a manual, letting the resistance of the engine provide some braking. I've never noticed a "surge" like you describe, and there certainly isn't a surge that would risk me hitting a car in front of me. That sounds worryingly dramatic, and is something that without a doubt the dealer needs to look at.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Could be auto start/stop engagement. And just the right pedal pressure, I can engage auto stop and within a second lighten the pedal pressure and cause the truck to lunge with auto start.

LNK_Keff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat sport 501 magnetic gray, 2018 Volvo XC90 T5, 1963 Chevrolet Impala 2 door coupe
Occupation
Logistics Manager
As I mentioned above, I spent 50 years in brake design and development. I’ve made more high speed, max effort stops on everything from motorcycles to semis than you can imagine. I know how to stop a vehicle and I know crappy brake feel when I see it. And I know when the torque converter unlocks near the end of a stop and lets me lurch forward. Most automatics unlock the converter much earlier in the stop so this doesn’t happen.

As for your pissy “pansy” comment, please be advised that you’re talking to an experienced test driver and design engineer who has done stuff on all sorts of vehicles on test tracks around the world. I’ve done things that would make your hair stand on end. Until you’ve gotten a tractor trailer or a Greyhound bus completely sideways in a panic stop or run panic stops in a passenger car from 140 mph or ridden out failed brakes on a semi at 100mph down Townes Pass into Death Valley, don’t talk to me about “Pansy”..
I wouldn't sweat anyone's useless commentary on this forum. Easy peasy to hit the ignore button.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
John there is a TSB on trans shifting and it helps quite a bit. I agree with the brakes but they seem to get better over time or maybe im getting used to it. Almost seems like master cylinder is too small(bore) or too high pedal ratio causing longer pedal travel and less pedal feel. It would be hard to believe that ford didnt get the calculations correct on these items though. I also thought that maybe vacuum pump is producing a real high vacuum that causes an over boost situation.Mine will have real low pedal if I hit the gas to take off then hit the brakes. At no time has the truck not stopped well, just longer travel and lite pedal feel. Try the trans TSB and good luck with your truck. Bret

OP
OP

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks Bret. I’ve been trying to figure out if there is a vacuum pump, but can’t verify it anywhere.

I’ll try to find the TSB.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
2-3 inches of pedal travel before braking begins.
The Colorado was really touchy, taking very little pressure to jerk to a stop.
I definitely dont have much (if any) travel at all before i can feel the brakes engage. The brakes on the Ranger feel rather "normal" to me, but my "normal" consists of low-end Ford lease vehicles so i unfortunately cant provide much of a perspective here. I will say vehicles like the Edge ST, Lincolns, Tauris SHO all feel like they have very "touchy," sensitive brakes to me -- it feels more like i'm pressing a stick with a spring than it feels like i'm actuating the brakes.

What you're talking about with your issue kind of sounds like how the brake pedal feels when the auto stop-start turns the engine off and the brake pedal is just kind of "dead."

EDIT: Also, as for transmission wonkiness, i've only noticed unfavorable behavior with the transmission during acceleration. When braking i've been able to come to smooth stops fairly easily using braking similar to what i did in my previous Fusion. I have about 5k miles on mine and it didnt seem to take any time to "learn" about downshifting while stopping. The only adverse behavior i did have when stopping was a bit of a rough lurch as i came fully to a stop (when the suspension rebounds and throws you back a bit) because my tires came from the dealer at 45 PSI!

Last edited:

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT

I'd say that's a pretty good description of my early disappointment with its braking. I'm not really sure if I'm just getting used to its behavior or if it improved a little in my 2 months of ownership. Or if it has something to do with my no longer driving like the old man I'm becoming in those early days with the truck.

On a nearly unrelated note, I remember having a Toyota service manager tell me that my Tundra pedal could go to the floor, but as long as it was stopping, it was normal. Still makes me shake my head. OTOH, our '12 Focus has always had a fine feel to them, including after I replaced the pads and rotors early at 82k miles with Motorcraft parts. They may well have been able to hit 100k, but I didn't want to push the calipers.

Phil S has posted about bedding the brakes, but I don't recall ever having to do that on a new vehicle. Unlike an '89 Aerostar that I put crappy Autozone pads on. They only got fully bedded in an unpleasant stopping situation. Guess my initial post-replacement drive was insufficient.

HighCaliberMitch

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLTSC FX4/Sport
I know what you are talking about and the transmission seems to aggressively down shift proportional to the aggressiveness of my braking.

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Peace Officer
Thanks Bret. I’ve been trying to figure out if there is a vacuum pump, but can’t verify it anywhere.

I’ll try to find the TSB.

Don't have to find it, although its listed under titled: TSB's / Recalls in this forum
Just go to your dealer and demand an oasis be done on the vehicle. And if that doesn't suffice and no TSB fits; just have them reprogram the transmission. I used the 19-2052 (VIN's built before Feb 11, 2019) although another newer TSB supersedes the original I quoted. All TSB's can be sought by them. I'm sure they have had a few per dealership with poor shift mapping and will do a quick reflashing of the PCM.

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Peace Officer
Don't have to find it, although its listed under titled: TSB's / Recalls in this forum
Just go to your dealer and demand an oasis be done on the vehicle. And if that doesn't suffice and no TSB fits; just have them reprogram the transmission. I used the 19-2052 (VIN's built before Feb 11, 2019) although another newer TSB supersedes the original I quoted. All TSB's can be sought by them. I'm sure they have had a few per dealership with poor shift mapping and will do a quick reflashing of the PCM.
This was sent on another thread regarding TSB's and the poor drive train results to some builds:

You have reason to be frustrated. Up here in Canada I just got my 19 Lariat back after 2 weeks in the shop. To repair an inoperable forward collision and adaptive cruise issues, a sensor was ordered, in addition to reprogrammed PCM regarding a transmission concern via TSB 19 2052. And my e-brake boot was damaged I figure through usage in -25 degree C weather, then following a brake issue/recall it was left uninstalled and dangling for several months before getting it in for a replacement. The leatherette was like cardboard!!!

Maybe the Ranger wasn’t ready for prime time in Canada!? I dunno.... Nonetheless the boot is in, the sensor hasn’t caused me any grief through a few miles and the driveline is finally reacting as many of you have stated it does. Much smoother, much nicer toe in on acceleration, responds smoother on acceleration and coasts on deceleration. No more clunking shifts through the lower gears, better quality… It now runs like the escape I drive at work ha!!! but with a lot more power.! I really do love my ranger more now.

A word to all of you - pay attention to the bulletins that pertain to your VIN (build date). Ford is not obligated to state what concerns had arisen prior to you becoming owner with these TSB’s. please check the listing on this Forum! Helped me.

My next topic of contention with the dealerships advisers is that because I take care of my $50,000 vehicle and take it for a proper wash as one proud Ford owner should during winter- it’s only reasonable my proximity sensors should be frozen in time and going off left and right every time I put my foot on the brake and take it off. Had I known that the extra $3000 B&O sound system would be preempted at every yield or stop I would have thought twice. The visual alert on the screen goes off and so does the audible warning, simultaneously cutting out the music! Very frustrating. Their reply... do you have a heated garage. Reply yes I do, however; that’s besides the point, I’m not picking up the tab on a new vehicle I paid dearly for with equipment like this; basically standard throughout much of any maker lineup these days. And I have a heated garage that fits my wife’s SUV! So I brought it up once twice three times now and I think I need to get more done from them any suggestions would help. Will have to talk to the manager at some point if I’m not able to communicate what they need to hear to act on it…
Regards Charlie
Sponsored