jeb134

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like we'll be getting a decent amount of snow with this storm today and there's another big storm early next week. So should be plenty of mud or snow to play in for next weekend!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
We had a foot of powdery snow a few years ago, and it was great fun watching everyone's trucks slide around going around corners ;-) The kids naturally all piled out of vehicles during breaks for impromptu gigantic snowball fights.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Looks exiting. Not sure if my Duellers are up to the task.

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Looks exiting. Not sure if my Duellers are up to the task.
If you just do the SUV run, you should be fine, especially if you air down when mud/snow is encountered. Worst case scenario, someone tows you back onto solid ground (most folks would have recovery gear, if you don't have your own - tow strap, shackles).

At this point, I believe that all Sunday runs are full, so it may not be worth your while to go on just one run on Saturday.

jeb134

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looking forward to this weekend! I'm going to head up tomorrow afternoon around 5 to check out the displays, get dinner and my registration stuff. Will you be around @Pathung ?

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
@jeb134 Yes I'll be there Friday night, dinner and registration. Look for my truck in the parking lot (looks a bit like yours ;-) ).

jeb134

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Was good meeting you Pat, was bummed you weren’t on the SUV Run today. It was a lot of fun in the rain including going through a 3-4 foot deep stream which was really flowing today, plus tons of mud and snow.

95BEBC82-1AED-4F45-BF0D-3AFDD5107C8B.jpeg

E5CC4C4E-1302-4301-9B03-B88B55BC8CC3.jpeg

53FBA50D-67AD-4D4B-9625-96A0BA712896.jpeg

58D5A8ED-F2E7-4030-882D-9D240B7F496D.jpeg

E9BA594E-7ED8-496A-9CAC-366BD37C11E1.jpeg

964CA8E9-4C37-4B6D-BEC1-042F6AC9A47B.jpeg

8D6DE6E5-7D12-43F7-932D-ACD0783FD9A2.jpeg

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Hey Jeremy, equally glad to meet you as well! My son wasn't feeling well this morning, so we headed home, but not before we had some serious fun yesterday, re-learning the history of Grass Valley/Nevada County with the tour leader (Jim) while playing in lots of bogs and snow - a perfect introduction to offroading for the Ranger. I did note that where snow got deep (thanks to Jeeps running ahead of me with 35" tires digging deep ruts), I was getting close to being high-centered at times due to my stock front height - this will need to be remedied before next year for sure. When I got home, I measured the ground clearance at the front end of the truck, and it was a measly 9 inches (I was "shoveling" snow most of the time, apparently!). A 12-inch ground clearance would've been nice. My old Frontier was 11 inches, IIRC. I used both Mud/Ruts and Snow/Ice modes - both worked well. I forgot to test locking the diff. in the snow, especially when I was feeling slippage/high-centered.

I highly recommend this annual run for SF Bay Area Ranger dudes - the "SUV RUN" that Jeremy and I did are low-difficulty, with some fun challenges thrown in here and there, guaranteeing a whole lotta fun. There's no worries of getting stuck, as you'd be towed out by pros who are running with you. There were about 25 rigs on our run on Saturday.

Some photos below, and later on some videos.

8HqY0O9.jpg

QnaDUuu.jpg

0I3OjBX.jpg

OBV24nw.jpg

m0RG0po.jpg

D8KoAZI.jpg

CneIHeA.jpg

QIzVMus.jpg

jeb134

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There were guys that did one of the “moderate” runs (Arctic Blast I believe) yesterday that said the SUV run today was a lot more difficult. The weather definitely made things interesting, everyone stopped to air down at the beginning and I’m glad we did. I’m thinking today’s run went a different route than yesterday because I don’t recognize some of the spots in your photos.

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My neighbor at the hotel (also a Fest participant) complained that the Tundra trail-run on Saturday was too tame, so he opted to leave the group and head to Fordyce (yes, he had big tires).

My run was plenty fun and challenging, with river crossings, deep bogs, and good amount of snow. I'm pretty sure that it's a different trail from your Sunday run, as the starting points were different - Empire Mines State Park parking lot vs. Fairgrounds parking lot. Our run took us to 5,000 ft.

Here's my 9-minute long video of our trekking in the snow, including my "mini-stuckage", complete with light commentary from my son and yours truly:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dcZwoCXxvuTjjXoy7

IdriveG5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4
My neighbor at the hotel (also a Fest participant) complained that the Tundra trail-run on Saturday was too tame, so he opted to leave the group and head to Fordyce (yes, he had big tires).

My run was plenty fun and challenging, with river crossings, deep bogs, and good amount of snow. I'm pretty sure that it's a different trail from your Sunday run, as the starting points were different - Empire Mines State Park parking lot vs. Fairgrounds parking lot. Our run took us to 5,000 ft.

Here's my 9-minute long video of our trekking in the snow, including my "mini-stuckage", complete with light commentary from my son and yours truly:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dcZwoCXxvuTjjXoy7
Looked fun! How did you feel your Dick Cepek tires performed?

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Looked fun! How did you feel your Dick Cepek tires performed?
The tires did well, imo, on all surfaces; not once did I feel them slipping (deep creek, mud, bogs, ice/snow) except when slightly high-centered in deep, icy ruts (as in the video).
Sponsored