First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
I was super upset when I found out the Ranger only has aluminum for the front fenders, hood, and tailgate. I thought it was mostly aluminum like the F-150 and I'm not sure why the hell it isn't.
I was also disappointed that the Ranger is essentially a backstep in the evolution of Ford truck bodies. It would've been amazing with more aluminum. But I think a lot of people are still scared of a non-steel truck. And Ford may have been worried about loosing sales to that.
I talked to someone i know at Ford about this, he said mostly the issue Ford has right now is that they cant source enough aluminum sheet metal to support F-150 production and another program at the same time. Apparently the aluminum body F-series trucks are selling rather well.

But i agree, i'd much rather deal with galvanic corrosion rather than rust. Fewer spots to check.
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

I talked to someone i know at Ford about this, he said mostly the issue Ford has right now is that they cant source enough aluminum sheet metal to support F-150 production and another program at the same time. Apparently the aluminum body F-series trucks are selling rather well.

But i agree, i'd much rather deal with galvanic corrosion rather than rust. Fewer spots to check.
Well that make me happy and disappointed at the same time. At least they aren't going to shy away from Aluminum (or any other new lighter material) in the future because of some consumer perception. Just disappointing the metal manufacturers can't keep up.

I work in the aviation industry (engineer) and we've been having a similar problem getting enough steel to support our small amount of production. Seems like there might just be a problem in the metal industry as a whole.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
Well that make me happy and disappointed at the same time. At least they aren't going to shy away from Aluminum (or any other new lighter material) in the future because of some consumer perception. Just disappointing the metal manufacturers can't keep up.
Among CAFE emissions requirements, NHTSA rollover requirements, and Ford's refusal to give up the durability of a fully-boxed frame, there's a major need for them to make anything they can lighter on the F-series, and a bit on the ranger too. Every non-structural ounce you save can save weight from the roll cage (since vehicle roll cages have to be able to survive rolling with like 3x the vehicle's weight at this point). The government is requiring vehicles to become heavier and lighter at the same time, and we're reaching limits of what metals can do. If this continues I think we'll either have to accept disposing of vehicles after even minor collisions (due to the use of non-steel frames which are of questionable strength after high stress events), or we'll have to start letting up on the requirements.

While i'm not super in-the-know for the metallurgical fields, i do know that we were able to make some incredible metallurgical advancements with steel around the 1940's, the US ordinance department was able to take a 75mm gun and redesign it to have the same capabilities but using a new steel alloy and and new processes, in the end the gun ended up being half the weight. Doesnt seem that we're able to make leaps like that at the moment.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Ya i think we have pretty much perfected steel and it cant get any stronger than it is. Of course that's what people say about everything so maybe there will be an advancement in steel strength.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
Just picked up a set of these and will be installing Sunday. I'll take the extra protection of the rocker panels. I also like that it protects against scuffs from peoples shoes getting in *cough* oblivious 9yo.

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
Bushwacker TrailArmor:
I trimmed off the door sill section where it meets the factory black stainless steel RANGER sills:

upload_2019-9-8_16-51-35.jpeg

Last edited:

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
Bushwacker TrailArmor:
I trimmed off the door sill section where it meets the factory black stainless steel RANGER sills:

upload_2019-9-8_16-51-35.jpeg
I like this idea. I was thinking of getting the TrailArmor, but wasn't sure I wanted to hide / mess up the sill plates. Hhmmm.

Like the new pedals too! :like:

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I like this idea. I was thinking of getting the TrailArmor, but wasn't sure I wanted to hide / mess up the sill plates. Hhmmm.

Like the new pedals too! :like:
Thanks! Yeah, I really like the TrailArmor...all I did to modify them was a deep score to the plastic with a straight edge and razor blade. Then just bent it back and it separates/breaks, then sanded a couple rough spots, and added 3M automotive tape right at the new edge.

jeffe

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Lincoln MK VIII, '19 Ranger XLT, Magnetic, 2WD CC, Sport pkg, towing pkg, rear locker.
Occupation
CPO, USN Retired, Retired AT&T Field Tech
Looks like they don't cover all the way to the front fender, nor do they cover the bed portion like Todd was saying. Seems like it'd be nice if they went all the way.

I was actually thinking of doing a bedliner type protection for my rocker panels. Be more expensive I'm sure, but wouldn't allow water/debris/salt to be trapped inside and would cover up/protect any damage/scratched/chips that I've already incurred. Still trying to think it over though.
I think they dropped the ball by not extending the front to the wheel arch trim and covering that seam. If anything, it makes it stand out that much more.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
I just installed mine yesterday. Got them on Sunday but it had been raining for the past few days but finally stopped yesterday. I really like them and install was stupid easy. One thing I did notice from your guys pics, I don't have that sticker or oval indentation on mine at the rear but glad its not there.

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed mine yesterday. Got them on Sunday but it had been raining for the past few days but finally stopped yesterday. I really like them and install was stupid easy. One thing I did notice from your guys pics, I don't have that sticker or oval indentation on mine at the rear but glad its not there.
I didn’t notice or check until just now...mine also does NOT have the oval indent, nor a badge in the back either.

C3FEA97E-9C6A-487D-89A5-C1E7433BC748.jpeg

Caliope

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CC 4WD Lariat, 2022 Bronco Sport OB

The majority of the sheet aluminum for vehicles is produced at the Arconic (formerly known as Alcoa) plant in Davenport IA

jerrywin

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport supercrew

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Among CAFE emissions requirements, NHTSA rollover requirements, and Ford's refusal to give up the durability of a fully-boxed frame, there's a major need for them to make anything they can lighter on the F-series, and a bit on the ranger too. Every non-structural ounce you save can save weight from the roll cage (since vehicle roll cages have to be able to survive rolling with like 3x the vehicle's weight at this point). The government is requiring vehicles to become heavier and lighter at the same time, and we're reaching limits of what metals can do. If this continues I think we'll either have to accept disposing of vehicles after even minor collisions (due to the use of non-steel frames which are of questionable strength after high stress events), or we'll have to start letting up on the requirements.

While i'm not super in-the-know for the metallurgical fields, i do know that we were able to make some incredible metallurgical advancements with steel around the 1940's, the US ordinance department was able to take a 75mm gun and redesign it to have the same capabilities but using a new steel alloy and and new processes, in the end the gun ended up being half the weight. Doesnt seem that we're able to make leaps like that at the moment.
Guess we need some help.

jerrywin

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport supercrew
If you are on the fence about the Bushwacker 14099 TrailArmor for the crewcab, I found a really good price for them on ebay (compared to what I was finding elsewhere):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bushwacker-14099-TrailArmor-Rocker-Panel-Fits-19-Ranger/283626096268?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I agree they don't cover perfectly, but this price led me to pull the trigger (124.00).
Since this was an ebay purchase, thought i would note that they actually did arrive. Now awaiting warmer weather for install.
Sponsored