MTB Bike pad - Which one do you use?

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
I'm very happy with my Yakima Gatekeeper. The padding is thick all around, and where the bike comes in contact with the pad on top of the tailgate, there are secondary paddings with velcro holding straps sewn to them - all look durable and well-designed, with no movement of the bikes that I can detect. The flap that protects the tailgate paint is of a high-quality felt on the inside, and of a nice smooth material on the outside.

I've carried three mountain bikes on it so far, with no issues; there are a total of five straps, and I don't doubt that five bikes can easily be accommodated.

An independent flap can be folded part-way up to reveal the Ford badge and camera (seen in my photo), or completely tucked up and away into the top part of the pad.

I ordered the pad from Backcountry.com, and the price was $147.20, plus tax; shipping was free.

qWjveWi.jpg
ya I will probably go this route since I can get it under a 100 but that latchit rack is sure growing on me. The ability to lock the bike and quick assemble is super nice.
Sponsored

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
ya I will probably go this route since I can get it under a 100 but that latchit rack is sure growing on me. The ability to lock the bike and quick assemble is super nice.
The ability to lock the bikes is a plus, for sure; I can't do that effectively with this pad, unless I can find a steel cable long and thick enough to loop through all the bikes/front wheels, and back, then lock it to one of the corner tie-downs.

OP
OP
John Lyman

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Where can you get the Yamika for under $100?

I do know that at least 5 bikes will fit over the tailgate as that is what we have for our family.

I like the latchit but that price and I’m lucky that I have a teen age son to load up the bikes.

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
Where can you get the Yamika for under $100?

I do know that at least 5 bikes will fit over the tailgate as that is what we have for our family.

I like the latchit but that price and I’m lucky that I have a teen age son to load up the bikes.
Its a bro deal ha ha. I agree the latchit is overpriced but the ease ability of off and on is so nice and the lock-ability. But it’s not like the pad is difficult to put on it’s just a stupid pain. I guess I gotta have kids soon to help with that.

Dropper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion, F350 soon to be ranger owner

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
So I decided to get a Latchit Rack also. I generally like it the only problem is over bumps the tailgate is so light that it flies up with the bike. The bike hasn’t come lose but it would be my second complaint about it along with the price. Otherwise the ease of putting it on is so convenient and being able to lock the bike if needed.

105521CE-FAE6-4CC1-B22F-9A5133FCA3DD.jpeg

GT5050

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Just got my Ranger and while I have a hitch mount rack I ended up with the Dakine DLX Pickup Pad to throw the bikes in for local riding. My full suspension 29er fits in the 5' bed even with the last panel of my BakFlip tonneu cover still closed, as long as the bike is angled a bit. Love the fact that it covers the whole tailgate and has the flap to expose the handle as well as the rear-view camera.

View attachment 32638

View attachment 32639

IMG_3030.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
Just a heads up Lachit Rack is doing 20% off right now. I think it’s worth the price for ease of use and lock ability. There’s also a few small updates that will be coming out soon and be sent out to those who have already bought per the owner. I took my rack and bike on a 1000mile truck ride to Colorado and the system held up great. Knowing I can run into a gas station or grab a bite without someone quickly grabbing it is super nice!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Just got my Ranger and while I have a hitch mount rack I ended up with the Dakine DLX Pickup Pad to throw the bikes in for local riding. My full suspension 29er fits in the 5' bed even with the last panel of my BakFlip tonneu cover still closed, as long as the bike is angled a bit. Love the fact that it covers the whole tailgate and has the flap to expose the handle as well as the rear-view camera.

View attachment 32638

View attachment 32639

IMG_3030.jpg
Wow... I have this same exact set up and didn't think to just angle the bike! (facepalm) I've been running with no back up camera with the BakFlip flipped all the way up against the rear glass and I have zero visibility when backing up. Just clarifying, you have the regular DLX and not the DLX curve? How high up are the bike straps on the Dakine? The people at Dakine are adamant about keeping the bike straps at least an inch below the top of the tailgate, so I haven't been able to achieve that while also exposing the camera.

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
mine from Amazon for $60.

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 10.36.56 1.png

Tulumben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
For those of you that have a tonneau cover and are also using a tailgate pad - are you able to close and lock the tonneau cover on top of the tailgate pad or are you removing it and reinstalling it frequently?

Also, anyone know if they plan on having a crew cab + long bed option in future years? Don't yet own a truck but looking to get a mid-size in the near future and the Ranger is high up on the list but the fact that you can only get the short box with the crew cab is annoying.

Tulumben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Is the Latchit Rack essentially just a bed extender? Can you fold it back into the bed or do you have to take it on and off each time you use it?

I'm more interested in that MultitaskR system. https://exodux.com/
Sponsored