First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I promise I'm not trying to be a pain as I get your furstration, but what says it isn't going to last or it isn't working as it should? Have you had a Direct Injected Forced Induction vehicle in the past that functioned differently?
I believe that is what everyone is trying to find out, this is entire thread is about communication to members, the dealers and Ford. :like:
I have owned DI vehicles before, and never smelled fuel (strong raw fuel) in the oil. If it turns out to be nothing, then everyone can help others that have the same questions. If something is uncovered that is wrong, well it needs to get resolved.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I believe that is what everyone is trying to find out, this is entire thread is about communication to members, the dealers and Ford. :like:
I have owned DI vehicles before, and never smelled fuel (strong raw fuel) in the oil. If it turns out to be nothing, then everyone can help others that have the same questions. If something is uncovered that is wrong, well it needs to get resolved.
Well said

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like the right thing to do is investigate. If I don’t do my due diligence then I have to own the issue long term. Letting ford know and taking some time to follow up and report it here seems like a win win for everyone. If this is a ford issue I’m sure they’ll own it eventually. Just send this thread to a Car reporter or YouTube personality if someone wanted to make it more main stream. I’ve dealt with big companies before. First thing to do is to give them a chance to respond and make them aware.

that’s where I’m at. Will test oil as well. Cheers.

Wheazy

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 XLT
True ....and as info, I checked the owners manual and it says the hash marks aren't the high oil mark....it's the hole. the online version of the owners manual will not pull up right now to verify.

IMG_0077.jpg

Reactions: Doc

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
True ....and as info, I checked the owners manual and it says the hash marks aren't the high oil mark....it's the hole. the online version of the owners manual will not pull up right now to verify.

IMG_0077.jpg
When I change my oil, I fill it to about the top of hash marks, which I feel is good for when the truck is cold. Now, only about 150 miles later, it is already well above the top hole, checked while cold, sitting for over 24 hours. That is completely insane. If you look at the catch can threads, you'll find many are full of nothing but gas. That couldn't happen unless there is tons of gas in the crankcase that is evaporating and going through the pcv system. You are right that a small amount of blowby is normal with the high pressures of DI, but not to the extent we are seeing here. That's why I think it is important we get oil analyses done, since smell is so subjective. Still waiting on my second analysis results.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/31148/fuel-dilution-tests

Here is one of many articles that also touches on the risk of an engine fire when fuel dilution exceeds 5%. Yet another reason for Ford to take this issue seriously. Mine was well above 5% after just 1800 miles. Most likely 10% or higher based on volume drained during oil change, but 5% was the highest concentration their test would report.

Another thing to note is that the viscosity went from that of a 5w-30 oil to less than a 5w-20 oil during that same period. While that alone might not hurt my engine, what if I had waited 5000 miles or more for my oil change? How bad would it be then? Undoubtedly that would cause permanent damage to the engine.

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
So I go out and check mine here at 1 am lol...Yes my oil smell like gas to me.(I think mildly and I compared with my ls3 oil smell and it has zero gas smell) I have almost 1700 miles engine built in August in my Ranger...Looks to have correct amount of oil on dipstick but will check tomorrow in day light to be sure but looked like top of second hole...

My thoughts are...It would have to be running pig rich if its happening while its running right? Gas mileage would be sucky too right? Tail pipe would be black sooty too right? Would there be a code thrown? Otherwise it would have to be getting in there when it wasn't running..Right?

shit now I'm worried.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
So I go out and check mine here at 1 am lol...Yes my oil smell like gas to me.(I think mildly and I compared with my ls3 oil smell and it has zero gas smell) I have almost 1700 miles engine built in August in my Ranger...Looks to have correct amount of oil on dipstick but will check tomorrow in day light to be sure but looked like top of second hole...

My thoughts are...It would have to be running pig rich if its happening while its running right? Gas mileage would be sucky too right? Tail pipe would be black sooty too right? Would there be a code thrown? Otherwise it would have to be getting in there when it wasn't running..Right?

shit now I'm worried.
Not necessarily. Many of us are convinced that the fuel is getting into the crankcase via the high pressure fuel pump, which runs off the camshaft. This would have zero effect on how the vehicle is running, but would have a slight effect on the fuel economy, depending on how severe the leak is. But it could be fairly negligible. In my case I average about 3 mpg lower than what my computer is telling me, but that doesn't seem ridiculously abnormal for these trucks.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Don't worry too much unless your oil is really high or an oil analysis comes back with really high fuel dilution. I saw another guy's oil analysis and after 8000 miles he only had 1.3% dilution, well within tolerable levels for a turbocharged DI engine. So this isn't an issue affecting all Rangers, and it should be correctable.

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I may have pulled the trigger to early. Checked my truck this morning didn't run all night. Oil level slightly above second dot and doesnt smell like fuel. Really hoping I was wrong and that nothing is wrong with the truck.

Wheazy

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 XLT
hmmm. I hope all is well Manny. Like I mentioned earlier, this is a common issue among many brands that are Forced Induction Direct Injection engines. I know for the Civics (never had one, just research) there was a programming change on the 1.5T's to help them not run as rich at start up. I honestly don't know if it helped or not.

It is concerning the first time you encounter it as I know I was with my F-150 2.7 EB.

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I checked mine after a long drive. Oil level far exceeded top measurement. And smelled of gasoline.

I checked it the next morning, and the level was below the top measurement, but still smelled very strong of fuel.

Has anyone on this thread, had any success with the dealer service saying "yes, that's a problem let us fix it, or look into it?"

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Just got the results back from my second oil analysis. After less than 1700 miles (the 2000 miles reflected on the analysis was just an estimate I threw out there when filling out their form) the fuel dilution is once again well above 5%. That was 100% highway miles, from Colorado to Utah and down to Texas. The rate at which the fuel builds up in the oil is insane, imagine if I waited the recommended schedule for oil changes in this truck? I hope that others who suspect this issue get an oil analysis done. $28 is a small price to pay to protect your $30,000+ truck and know what is actually happening to it.

inCollage_20200124_160221285.jpg

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Just got the results back from my second oil analysis. After less than 1700 miles (the 2000 miles reflected on the analysis was just an estimate I threw out there when filling out their form) the fuel dilution is once again well above 5%. That was 100% highway miles, from Colorado to Utah and down to Texas. The rate at which the fuel builds up in the oil is insane, imagine if I waited the recommended schedule for oil changes in this truck? I hope that others who suspect this issue get an oil analysis done. $28 is a small price to pay to protect your $30,000+ truck and know what is actually happening to it.

inCollage_20200124_160221285.jpg

But now what? Does dealer have to fix something? Or are you just documenting in case of cataclysmic failure?
Sponsored