Absurd owner's manual

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Indeed, you are correct in the tremendous amount of 411 presented in the manual and for having such an asset as your son.
The last new Ford owner's manual I had to read was for my 2000 Ranger S/Cab.
About the only technology that "wowed" (and which I could truly understand) me on that thing were the "Battery Saver" feature and the timer which allowed you to operate accessories after shutting the ignition off.

Now, if you will excuse me it's time to grab a cold one and get back to that "space shuttle" manual...lol
:crackup:
Sponsored

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I have to say, writing user friendly manuals does not seem to be Ford's strong point. Or maybe it is just they don't make the info easy to find. One thing that I never understood - in an index, when you look up something, why on earth does it refer you to something else? Why can't they just put a page number reference? Like I want to look for engine oil, I look for Oil Check and it says "See Engine Oil Check" - how hard is it to just put the page number for the "Engine Oil Check" under Oil Check? They knew people would be looking for it there. Geez..... Sorry for the rant.

Stuff like that, coupled with errors and omissions and sometimes just poorly written instructions makes the manual not terribly useful for me.
Amen, brother!:giggle:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have to say, writing user friendly manuals does not seem to be Ford's strong point. Or maybe it is just they don't make the info easy to find. One thing that I never understood - in an index, when you look up something, why on earth does it refer you to something else? Why can't they just put a page number reference? Like I want to look for engine oil, I look for Oil Check and it says "See Engine Oil Check" - how hard is it to just put the page number for the "Engine Oil Check" under Oil Check? They knew people would be looking for it there. Geez..... Sorry for the rant.

Stuff like that, coupled with errors and omissions and sometimes just poorly written instructions makes the manual not terribly useful for me.
Hi Rob,

You would be shocked at the first draft of an owners manual sent by the publisher. It is almost worthless....For the year 2000, I found reference to the Front Wheel Drive Ranger as well as RWD and 4x4! Where did this come from? Called the publisher and they told it was up to me to delete spurious stuff like FWD as their writers did know the product...they just write about it...Sheesh! Very hard to get it right. I spent nights reading and marking up...then passed it several of my Engineers for their read and critique...we still missed stuff like wrong part numbers, try as much as possible...There is just no one person that can know all this in detail but that was what was expected...the process is a recipe for failure. It would appear that this process never changed...I had proposed that sections of the manual be sent to the respective design departments for their review, correction and signoff. Some of that was adopted but unfortunately it was viewed as a back burner get around to it...maybe... Seems the process is still alive and well....

One of the things you referenced about being referred to another line item was on my list of edits...I was told, "that is the way we do it"... Arrrg!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob,

You would be shocked at the first draft of an owners manual sent by the publisher. It is almost worthless....For the year 2000, I found reference to the Front Wheel Drive Ranger as well as RWD and 4x4! Where did this come from? Called the publisher and they told it was up to me to delete spurious stuff like FWD as their writers did know the product...they just write about it...Sheesh! Very hard to get it right. I spent nights reading and marking up...then passed it several of my Engineers for their read and critique...we still missed stuff like wrong part numbers, try as much as possible...There is just no one person that can know all this in detail but that was what was expected...the process is a recipe for failure. It would appear that this process never changed...I had proposed that sections of the manual be sent to the respective design departments for their review, correction and signoff. Some of that was adopted but unfortunately it was viewed as a back burner get around to it...maybe... Seems the process is still alive and well....

One of the things you referenced about being referred to another line item was on my list of edits...I was told, "that is the way we do it"... Arrrg!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I guess I'm just dense - I don't know how you can write about something you don't know anything about! Hearing what you write above makes more sense how these manuals read..... But it seems like a no brainer to have the people who design these things review them for accuracy.

Our C-Max and even our Explorer manual before it all were about the same - not worthless, but very unhelpful in many ways. I guess if we complain too much they will just stop producing them! :) Or make them all online as someone else had said. That is one other feature of FordPass that I like - it has links to the electronic version of the manual where you can do searching which is better than using the index.

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Supercab XLT 302a 18" PVD Chrome pkg., 15 Focus SE, 65 Falcon Futura Hardtop, 56 Chevy 3100 Shortbed, 05 Pontiac Vibe (700,000 miles), 93 Nissan King Cab, 05 Sebring Limited convertible (Joyride), 17 American Landmaster 450E, wife has some kind of Cadillac
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase
My only thorn is when you look in the glossary it tells you it's on page XX. When you go to page xx it says "see page rr". I try to stay out of it as much as possible. I usually go to the Ford instructionals on Youtube.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Do you remember back when the manual was thin and allowed for common sense - then lawyers and power stuff.
Sure do!
And they were not printed on tissue paper either, but then if Ford were to use real paper, the 2020 manual would be as thick as the first 3 volumes of an encyclopedia!

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Front Wheel Drive Ranger
Hold up there fella, you mean to tell me that Ford produced a front drive Ranger for MY 2000?
I got gypped! This is an outrage! I had to make do with a rear drive for 20 years! I want my money back!
:explode::curse::punch::headbang:

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My only thorn is when you look in the glossary it tells you it's on page XX. When you go to page xx it says "see page rr". I try to stay out of it as much as possible. I usually go to the Ford instructionals on Youtube.
Sigh...guess I going to need to add that YouTube channel to my faves, of the hundreds there already...:facepalm:

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I said this in a different thread:
As a side note, I have purchased many new vehicles of several different manufacturers and I find the manual for the new Ranger is very poor in information and the way it is presented. It is clear that they did a lot of cut and pasting. It seems that the manual was rushed into production and not fully reviewed.

The more I review the manual the more I think it is the worst one written for a modern vehicle. Ford should be ashamed.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I said this in a different thread:
As a side note, I have purchased many new vehicles of several different manufacturers and I find the manual for the new Ranger is very poor in information and the way it is presented. It is clear that they did a lot of cut and pasting. It seems that the manual was rushed into production and not fully reviewed.

The more I review the manual the more I think it is the worst one written for a modern vehicle. Ford should be ashamed.
I could not agree more, one would think that if any manufacturer of any product is to make a lasting positive impression on it's owners that it would be to present some sort of accuracy in the information provided in something as mundane as an owners manual.
To wit:
Page 105 of the 2020 Ranger owner's manual makes reference to the operating parameters of the auto start/ stop (ASS) system as:
"The engine needs to be restarted, press the clutch pedal to restart"
I've looked high and low within an area in which one would assume such a pedal to exist, to no avail, perhaps other 2020 owners have had better luck? Is there a voice command in existence to command, "clutch pedal, appear"?
Of course I am being factitious, but I think you catch my drift.

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the owners manual is more of a legal document telling you what you can’t do and a CYA thing. Wonder if the lawyers can find the right disclaimer

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
I once met a youngster who was in college getting a 4 year degree. I asked what their degree will be. This kid told me he was getting a degree that would get him a job writing product manuals which would include auto manuals.

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
You would think in this day and age they would custom create an electronic manual based on your VIN or where you go and select your vehicle, trim and options. This would create a custom electronic manual and quick start. I know the technology has been around since the 90's. However, nope we are stuck with this very useful 300+ page book of legalese and CYA that only 1/3 actually pertains to our specific truck.

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
i hope they'll hire him, a 4 year degree on writing manuals seems pretty dope.
I hear ya. All the purchases I've made over the years that have manuals I never gave it a thought as to who writes them. Learned something new that day.
Sponsored