Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ranger XLT 2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be with you in about 6 or 7 weeks. 4x2 w/ rear locker.
Sponsored

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
HA! I luv it!
Tell me, do you remove the plow during summer and attach a lawnmower blade under it???
That's not my plow. That belongs to the city of Myrtle Beach for the snowstorms that we get LOL

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Noticing a trend that a lot of you with 4x2 are getting rear lockers. Part of the reason that I ended up with 4x4 is that there is a serious shortage of 4x2 with rear lockers on dealer lots around here. Searching online, I only found 3 XLs with that configuration anywhere within 80 miles of here (and one of those looked like whoever configured it just checked every box EXCEPT 4x4). Sales guy said that his system wouldn't even let him use standalone locker as a search parameter to check local inventory, which he said usually indicates it's an option that is only permitted on special orders and not dealer stock. However, my dad who lives in Arizona stopped by his local Ford dealer to get some touch-up paint for his mustang, and while he was there he checked on the Rangers: That one dealer had 3 XL 4x2's with rear locker on his lot. Makes me wonder if Ford has region-by-region limitations on dealers configuring certain options? Or if it's just a matter of lockers not being a popular option in Indiana, so no dealers order their trucks that way.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
John Lyman

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Noticing a trend that a lot of you with 4x2 are getting rear lockers. Part of the reason that I ended up with 4x4 is that there is a serious shortage of 4x2 with rear lockers on dealer lots around here. Searching online, I only found 3 XLs with that configuration anywhere within 80 miles of here (and one of those looked like whoever configured it just checked every box EXCEPT 4x4). Sales guy said that his system wouldn't even let him use standalone locker as a search parameter to check local inventory, which he said usually indicates it's an option that is only permitted on special orders and not dealer stock. However, my dad who lives in Arizona stopped by his local Ford dealer to get some touch-up paint for his mustang, and while he was there he checked on the Rangers: That one dealer had 3 XL 4x2's with rear locker on his lot. Makes me wonder if Ford has region-by-region limitations on dealers configuring certain options? Or if it's just a matter of lockers not being a popular option in Indiana, so no dealers order their trucks that way.
That rear locker for $420 is a little better than the $4000 for a 4X4 so I can see those being hotter commodities where its beneficial to either have a rear locker or 4x4. I also did a quick look at my dealers website out of 26 4x2 I believe 24 had the rear locker. Sounds like the dealer didn't order very well.

Reactions: Doc

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Like 4X4...lockers offer very little value for street or towing, I was frustrated by not being able to add Limited Slip.
My hope is that the electronics will work when towing, If not I'll look into buying a limited slip as an aftermarket maybe from Ford Motorsport this spring. That's what I did to my '01, but it was an 8.8.

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
Like 4X4...lockers offer very little value for street or towing, I was frustrated by not being able to add Limited Slip.
My hope is that the electronics will work when towing, If not I'll look into buying a limited slip as an aftermarket maybe from Ford Motorsport this spring. That's what I did to my '01, but it was an 8.8.
The electronics do a great job of simulating a limited slip differential (without the friction penalties). The locker is best suited for soft ground from a dead stop or for a boat ramp type situation.

07XLT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Noticing a trend that a lot of you with 4x2 are getting rear lockers. /snip
That's why I went ahead and ordered for the first time in my life. Inventory is better but not great.
Plus I originally was thinking 2020 Fx2 which i'm guessing isn't going to be a high volume dealer stock either. Ultimately I decided against the Fx2 but factor in other stuff I was looking for with the locker it would have been a tough find so I ordered.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
That rear locker for $420 is a little better than the $4000 for a 4X4
Agreed, which is why I started out looking for 4x2 with locker. But in the end I got the 4x4 for the price I wanted.
Sounds like the dealer didn't order very well.
That's what I thought at first, which is why I started checking dealerships all around here using the Ford website. The lockers (at least on XLs) are really scarce. The 3 that I did find were all up closer to Chicago.
That's why I went ahead and ordered for the first time in my life. Inventory is better but not great.
Yeah, part of the problem of picking from inventory is you're unlikely to find the exact configuration you want. But the dealer was willing to deal enough to move one that had been on the lot a while that he made it worth my while to get the 4x4 "upgrade", rather than special order.

07XLT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, part of the problem of picking from inventory is you're unlikely to find the exact configuration you want. But the dealer was willing to deal enough to move one that had been on the lot a while that he made it worth my while to get the 4x4 "upgrade", rather than special order.
Nothing wrong with that. An offer you can't refuse is an offer you can't refuse.

Rene Michaels

First Name
René
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone put a leveling kit with add-a-leaf to rear?
I just purchased the 3” front , 1.5-2” back,
Curious to see if any photos out there
I thought the factory height in the rear was high enough. I added the 3" front leveling kit from fordrangerlifts and I think the overall height now is perfect. Plus the ride is better!

07XLT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the factory height in the rear was high enough. I added the 3" front leveling kit from fordrangerlifts and I think the overall height now is perfect. Plus the ride is better!
can you elaborate in what way the ride is improved?

Rene Michaels

First Name
René
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
can you elaborate in what way the ride is improved?
I have a 4x2 Lariat. One of the dings the Ranger got in many reviews when it came out was the ride is bouncy ...I would describe it as a lingering undulating up and down movement when you go over dips in the road. It's one of the first things I noticed when I test drove mine.

The front leveling kit eliminated that completely. The ride is much smoother but not stiff at all.

Noel Willhite

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 4x2 Lariat. One of the dings the Ranger got in many reviews when it came out was the ride is bouncy ...I would describe it as a lingering undulating up and down movement when you go over dips in the road. It's one of the first things I noticed when I test drove mine.

The front leveling kit eliminated that completely. The ride is much smoother but not stiff at all.
I’m going for the same fix and putting some rake back for towing purposes ,
Can’t wait to install

07XLT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase

Wow, that's a hell of a statement. I'm going to look into that more closely than I planned
Sponsored