Spare Key 2019 Ford Ranger

OP
OP

rcspott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Range XLT
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and ideas.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Rod f.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Hey there.
Sounds just like my situation 2 months ago. I bought the keypad from the dealer ($100) and also got a 3rd blank remote key off ebay ($50)

Yes, the dealer has to program them ($100).

The remove the trim bezel from the keypad and it fits beautifully on the inside of the fuel door (though slightly ugly). Otherwise it's a tight fit.

rondowe

First Name
don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, FX4
I removed the battery from the fob for my xlt. Unlocking the door starts a countdown to sounding an alarm. Starting the truck stopped the countdown and alarm. It seems likely a key without a fob (or unprogrammed fob) would work as an emergency spare. I've been meaning to get one and try it.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Yes it do but I don’t want to put that one taped under the truck. I’m really curious if anyone has programmed their own key, before I buy the key.
You can get a key which will only unlock the doors for cheap at your local hardware store.
My son in law runs Ace Hardware and he can clone your key while you wait for a lot cheaper than Ford.
The clone will be exactly the same as the key you use for the clone, it works fine but is not really a "third key"
Problem is , you need two keys which are not clones to program a legitimate third.
If you buy a Ford key, the hardware store can cut it for you and you can program it yourself,as long as you have you two original keys.

Your FordPass App can unlock your truck from Japan.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Couldn't you just put a spare key inside your truck and open it with the Ford App on your phone?
Not possible in my situation as I'll be in the ocean, mobile electronic devices are not particularly fond of ocean water. Nor am I fond of hiding my phone somewhere outside the truck unattended.
Your solution is certainly viable in other situations, however.

Craig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Want a spare key with chip to hide under truck that will open and start my truck. Ford wants $116+/- to order the key. It will be cut but not programed to the truck. Has anyone used the You Tube tutorial successfully to program a key. In my area nobody will cut an internet key. Wondering about any other options/ideas.

Thanks
buy one on amazon and take it to a lock smith to get it programed

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Find the correct key on eBay and ACE Hardware can cut and program it. I'm pretty sure you can program your own key if you have 2 already. Ace also sells the keys if your not into eBay.
Also call your local Acebecause not all of them have the programming equipment.

SAZ Ranger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2wd
Occupation
Retired
Two videos to watch, first one called
Ford Wireless Keypad install on 2013 Mustang GT w/ programing he also shows how to program keypad and keys. Older video but should still apply to vehicles today.

++++++++

Next video is called
Now Introducing the Simple Key™ - For Ford, Lincoln, Mercury & Mazda.

I have seen this advertised on TV.

I also liked the hitch key safe.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I second this idea - I bought one of these for when I go hiking and it has worked out exceptionally well. The only glitch is that I have to remove the keyring from my Lariat Fob and just put the fob in the hitch safe. The fob is so big it won't fit with the keyring attached. I just leave the keyring in the truck. Works great.

I wish I could by a new fob and program it myself. On my 2005 I lost a fob and bought a new one on Amazon for < $10 and was able to program it myself with a working fob. I don't think I can do that with this truck.
I bought these braided wire key chains. Nylon coated color coded so I can tell my trucks keys from wife's Fusion. Available all over, got mine at Lowes in the replacement key aisle. Might allow you to leave your keys on the fob when you hike.

Screenshot_20200924-075156_Google.jpg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I bought these braided wire key chains. Nylon coated color coded so I can tell my trucks keys from wife's Fusion. Available all over, got mine at Lowes in the replacement key aisle. Might allow you to leave your keys on the fob when you hike.

Screenshot_20200924-075156_Google.jpg
Thanks for the idea - when I lost my key the first time I had no idea I had lost it - I really don't know how it came out of my pocket. I suppose I could use something like this to tie it to a belt loop or something, but I do a lot of rough/abandoned trail/offtrail stuff and I would still be afraid they would get caught on something and I'd lose them. With the hitch safe I always know they will be there when I get back to the truck. It has worked out really well for me.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the idea - when I lost my key the first time I had no idea I had lost it - I really don't know how it came out of my pocket. I suppose I could use something like this to tie it to a belt loop or something, but I do a lot of rough/abandoned trail/offtrail stuff and I would still be afraid they would get caught on something and I'd lose them. With the hitch safe I always know they will be there when I get back to the truck. It has worked out really well for me.
My apologies I meant to say that you might be able to leave the keys and fob together and still insert it into the hitch safe.
Sponsored