ToddlerCO

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Hey all...

I've followed and posted in a couple of threads about the difficulties I've had with smooth stops.

Symptom: Coming up to a stoplight, I can put even pressure on the pedal to slow. The truck slows and downshifts, but right at the last second before a stop, it seems to downshift hard and fights against the brake which calls for extra pressure and a jerky stop.

I took it to the dealer, drove with them, and they said "it's driving normal. The transmission is still in learning mode." That was a month ago.

Since then, it hasn't really gotten any better. I've been turning on the gear indicator regularly to see if I can notice anything odd about the shifting.

The truck never uses 2nd gear!
At stops, it downshifts sequentially all the way down, and then from 3rd right down to 1 just before a complete stop, causing the jerk and sudden change in transmission/engine braking.

And on acceleration, no matter how hard or soft it never uses 2nd. It goes from a start in 1st right to 3rd.
I've been watching it.

I know other people are having similar issues. Is your truck doing the same?
Anyone had this addressed by a dealer?

-Todd
Sponsored

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
How many miles are you at? Have you tried manually shifting to see what happens? My first 1-2k miles I had several instances of the truck lunging forward as I was coming to a stop, makes you feel like a rookie lol. But mine seemed to clear up after the first 2k miles

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I agree with Roofhopper. Pull it back into sport mode and down shift with the "-" button on the shifter to see if 2nd gear works.

OP
OP
ToddlerCO

ToddlerCO

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
How many miles are you at? Have you tried manually shifting to see what happens? My first 1-2k miles I had several instances of the truck lunging forward as I was coming to a stop, makes you feel like a rookie lol. But mine seemed to clear up after the first 2k miles
I'm over 5500 miles now. I'll try sport mode and see if that changes things at all. I've read that sport uses all the gears, and doesn't skip for efficiency.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Mine almost never uses 2nd gear. The only time Iā€™ve seen it used is if I accelerate more aggressively than normal from a stop.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Its not "normal" in that after a few drive cycles it will go away. If its constant then you might want to see if you can force a relearn for the truck. When I flash a new tune it will do the hard down shift maybe 2-3 times before it goes away. I have noticed on the performance tune by 2.5 Star ( true rating of them unfortunately) it will do the hard 3-2-1 down shift every single time no matter how much I drive it.

The transmission does have adaptive learning so it will change over time.. however this is usually the easy way out for the dealer.

Try coming to a stop slowly rather than abruptly. You should notice it will go from 3-1 like normal with no harshness. If it does have the same harshness regardless of light braking vs heavy then I would do a trans relearn.

newmantjn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer
I don't understand why people feel that skipping 2nd gear most of the time is somehow "wrong". If you are driving a manual (with only 6 gears), you often skip gears. If you are downshifting - say on a freeway, you will skip anywhere from 2-4 gears for performance reasons. It's normal. It fine.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Itā€™s completely normal for this setup to skip gears going up and down. Itā€™s more efficient that way, OP is just wondering about the harsh downshift at times.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Min only moves into second gear when I'm towing heavy. I think I've seen it hit second one time during a heavy acceleration event. The stops are unacceptable though as it's exactly like you describe.

I've had my rear brakes "fixed" twice, and I'm going in Monday to have the drivers side rear half shaft and bearing assembly replaced under warranty as it's leaking and the cause of my rear brake issues.

OP
OP
ToddlerCO

ToddlerCO

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I'm over 5500 miles now. I'll try sport mode and see if that changes things at all. I've read that sport uses all the gears, and doesn't skip for efficiency.
I did try sport mode over the weekend while driving around. For some reason, the gear indicator isn't shown when doing that.
But I was able to manually select 2nd, so it is working.

I think I'm just observing the same behavior as everyone else. For efficiency, it skips 2nd for normal up and down shifting.

When driving in normal D, I can watch it downshift nice and smooth through the higher gears, but the lower gears just seem harsher and makes a smooth stop and go more difficult.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even in sport mode the truck will skip second gear. Itā€™s all load dependent as for which gear is used at what time. You should call the dealer and schedule a test drive to show them and see if there is an available PCM update.

sam taylor

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt sport
Even in sport mode the truck will skip second gear. Itā€™s all load dependent as for which gear is used at what time. You should call the dealer and schedule a test drive to show them and see if there is an available PCM update.
Put it in tow mode. It will not skip gears and you can still see what gear your in.

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Peace Officer
I did try sport mode over the weekend while driving around. For some reason, the gear indicator isn't shown when doing that.
But I was able to manually select 2nd, so it is working.

I think I'm just observing the same behavior as everyone else. For efficiency, it skips 2nd for normal up and down shifting.

When driving in normal D, I can watch it downshift nice and smooth through the higher gears, but the lower gears just seem harsher and makes a smooth stop and go more difficult.
This is everything that I had. My lariat was built in the last quarter of 18; was not uncommon to have rough shifting, terrible downshifts, maybe some unlearned gear searching, just an unrefined power delivery. I drove with it for over 10,000 kms, it looks like you have as well. As another member mentioned walk into your dealership and bring up TSBā€˜s that have the same concerns you have. Mine was TSB 2019-2052 (pertained to build done before February 11, 2019 ). They will do an oasis report and bring up any bulletins that pertain to your build VIN. Not withstanding the fact that these fairly easy to reprograming may also now include a newer revised TSB. Your PCM will be reprogrammed. I got mine back yesterday and I cannot be more happy. The power delivery is much more linear, smoother upon acceleration, no more slouchy clunky 1st to 2nd to 3 and four, no problems in sport mode coming to a red light and clunking into first gear. Upon toe in acceleration really has a smooth sleek and linear power delivery and first almost seems like itā€™s geared a little higher - goes like the devil. Couldnā€™t be happier. Good luck Charlie

OP
OP
ToddlerCO

ToddlerCO

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
This is everything that I had. My lariat was built in the last quarter of 18; was not uncommon to have rough shifting, terrible downshifts, maybe some unlearned gear searching, just an unrefined power delivery. I drove with it for over 10,000 kms, it looks like you have as well. As another member mentioned walk into your dealership and bring up TSBā€˜s that have the same concerns you have. Mine was TSB 2019-2052 (pertained to build done before February 11, 2019 ). They will do an oasis report and bring up any bulletins that pertain to your build VIN. Not withstanding the fact that these fairly easy to reprograming may also now include a newer revised TSB. Your PCM will be reprogrammed. I got mine back yesterday and I cannot be more happy. The power delivery is much more linear, smoother upon acceleration, no more slouchy clunky 1st to 2nd to 3 and four, no problems in sport mode coming to a red light and clunking into first gear. Upon toe in acceleration really has a smooth sleek and linear power delivery and first almost seems like itā€™s geared a little higher - goes like the devil. Couldnā€™t be happier. Good luck Charlie
I was encouraged by your post. The issues you described are exactly what I was experiencing. So a few weeks back I made an appointment to have it looked at.

Long story short. The technician agreed that my truck wasn't behaving normally. But had trouble with the Ford system to download the new PCM code. Tech went away to class for two weeks! Another week, and got a call back from the advisor to schedule my truck in again. It was in yesterday, and they upgraded the PCM, and reset the adaptive shift points.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be radically better. Maybe a little smoother but not totally solved. Last fall I installed a GFB diverter in place of the stock eBOV. The GFB is a progressive BOV that maintains some pressure in the system when you let off the throttle, so if you get back on the throttle quickly there's still some boost available. It worked.

But, I'm now wondering if maintaining boost in the system is resulting in stronger engine/trans braking when coming to a more aggressive stop. Coming to a quick stop in traffic is when I notice that 3 to 1 harsh downshift which makes it difficult to stop smoothly.

So instead of dropping the stock eBOV back in, I ordered a Turbosmart BOV. I'll lose the progressive boost release, but maybe there won't be so much engine braking. Is my logic sound? I'll update again once I get the BOV installed.

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Peace Officer
HI sorry for late check and reply, I just left the group for a few weeks and turned into many. Tell me how itā€™s going once the changes are made with the new BOV. Iā€™m not familiar with but still interesting. I was actually hoping youā€™d get it more feedback from others. But I must say yes my driveline is smoother but it still does have some problem especially when in S and as you say applying even brake pressure, slowly coming to a stop and it still clunks a bit.
I wish you luck though.
Charlie
Sponsored