Free Sync 3 Navigation Map Updates (NA 1 18)

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
As of today the Ford site shows two options 1. $149 USB & 2. $109 Digital. Where does one get the USB for $40
Sponsored

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
As of today the Ford site shows two options 1. $149 USB & 2. $109 Digital. Where does one get the USB for $40
The link in the first post of this thread goes to the Ford update site where you can get it for $40. At least, that's the amount it shows for me now, before that it was free (oddly enough, clicking the link I received when I got my free one, still shows me a free download).

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the free one a few weeks ago, it completed successfully, but didn't update the map version to NA 1 18??? I'm tempted to try the USB order while it's still only $40
There's a bug that keeps the UPDATED Maps from being Reported as updated! I did the download update and thought it hadn't updated and made the MISTAKE of ordering the $40 update ( which is actually $49 with shipping) :>( I tried the update stick but it doesn't do anything at all.

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
The link in the first post of this thread goes to the Ford update site where you can get it for $40. At least, that's the amount it shows for me now, before that it was free (oddly enough, clicking the link I received when I got my free one, still shows me a free download).
Ok thanks.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I did. The problem seemed to be the zip file size being too large. I downloaded RAR Extractor and Expander. Worked fine except one of the .gz files was in the root folder. Moved it, loaded to a USB stick, and did the update without a problem. Just took an hour and a half.

—
Tom
Sadly, yes, and I also downloaded twice. I have FIOS and it "only" took about 4 hours to download both.
Pathetic

I'm not paying for this though.....and I will be bugging the dealer!

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I did. The problem seemed to be the zip file size being too large. I downloaded RAR Extractor and Expander. Worked fine except one of the .gz files was in the root folder. Moved it, loaded to a USB stick, and did the update without a problem. Just took an hour and a half.

—
Tom
I should have tried this. I kinda felt it was something along these lines and even stuffit expander failed to open the zip file.

Sadly, yes, and I also downloaded twice. I have FIOS and it "only" took about 4 hours to download both.
Pathetic

I'm not paying for this though.....and I will be bugging the dealer!
FWIW, I was able to successfully download the file on Windows 10 and create an update flash drive. The update took about 90 minutes and was 'successfully completed' altho the status screen still shows 1.17 (a known sync 3.3 bug).

Errata: I formatted the flash as exFat in the Mac and used GUID Partition Map. When I stuck this drive into the Win 10 machine all I could do is read it....no writing or formatting allowed. I then went back to the Mac and formatted it as exFat "Master Boot Record" and Windows 10 allowed me to write to it and reformat it.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
One suggestion on this if anyone attempts it - Someone (I apologize, I forgot who) mentioned this in another thread - since the upgrade takes so long, rather than keep your vehicle running, I just put in accessory mode and put my trickle charger on the battery and let it go. That is a WAY better solution than letting it idle for 30-60 minutes.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
One suggestion on this if anyone attempts it - Someone (I apologize, I forgot who) mentioned this in another thread - since the upgrade takes so long, rather than keep your vehicle running, I just put in accessory mode and put my trickle charger on the battery and let it go. That is a WAY better solution than letting it idle for 30-60 minutes.
Yes it is - excellent tip!
Wish I had known this before idling the truck for 90 minutes.

Evidently the electronics are looking at battery voltage to determine if the vehicle is running, which is why the trickle charger fools it....

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It should be possible to just drive it, and if it doesn't finish it will pick up where it left off. The fact that the version doesn't display properly does make this hard to verify. :-/

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It should be possible to just drive it, and if it doesn't finish it will pick up where it left off. The fact that the version doesn't display properly does make this hard to verify. :-/
Yes, you can drive it while installing it, but the install instructions state that if it does not complete (ie, engine stopped early) the process starts all over. Ugh.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Yes, you can drive it while installing it, but the install instructions state that if it does not complete (ie, engine stopped early) the process starts all over. Ugh.
Good luck to all, but for me, you all have given me 131 reasons to stick with my suction cup mount GPS: $299USD initial cost, all of the features of the factory GPS (scroll, pinch, 3D etc) plus"breadcrumb" routing, hassle-free free over the air lifetime monthly updates (construction, POIs,) lifetime map base updates, that can be done in- car or overnight in the house on a wall charger, free lifetime wifi weather and traffic. Take it out of the vehicle, mount it on the bike.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Good luck to all, but for me, you all have given me 131 reasons to stick with my suction cup mount GPS: $299USD initial cost, all of the features of the factory GPS (scroll, pinch, 3D etc) plus"breadcrumb" routing, hassle-free free over the air lifetime monthly updates (construction, POIs,) lifetime map base updates, that can be done in- car or overnight in the house on a wall charger, free lifetime wifi weather and traffic. Take it out of the vehicle, mount it on the bike.
I have both. I like the truck unit because of it's much larger display (plus I never forget to take it ;) ).
OTOH,
Most all of my waypoints are on my Garmin GPS. Unfortunately there is no way to export/import waypoints to/from the Ford Sync system and these can be lost when you sell the vehicle (or replace the APIM for whatever reason). I'd really like to see one of these sync updates address that matter.....

Last edited:

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
My FordPass sent a message saying there's a new update for the navigation maps. Tried to install it after putting everything on the USB. It gave me an LST_ERR05 error. I know I did everything right because I installed the previous update with no problem. Tried several times. Still.....same error.

I did a search and it turns out there's a "known problem" according to the post below which is posted today.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/sync-map-update-lst_err05-479185/index5/#post6639098

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
My FordPass sent a message saying there's a new update for the navigation maps. Tried to install it after putting everything on the USB. It gave me an LST_ERR05 error. I know I did everything right because I installed the previous update with no problem. Tried several times. Still.....same error.

I did a search and it turns out there's a "known problem" according to the post below which is posted today.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/sync-map-update-lst_err05-479185/index5/#post6639098
Yeah, for some reason it's not providing a correct license every time. Worked fine when I tried it for my Escape, but that had never been updated before. I shot a note to some folks at work just to make sure they're aware. Hopefully ALOM or whatever happens to be wrong gets fixed up quick.

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Yeah, for some reason it's not providing a correct license every time. Worked fine when I tried it for my Escape, but that had never been updated before. I shot a note to some folks at work just to make sure they're aware. Hopefully ALOM or whatever happens to be wrong gets fixed up quick.
Okay thanks

Will I be able to download it again once there is a fix?
Sponsored